New Yesterday: 0
Registering: 0
Members: 6662
Latest: chrisw

Most Ever Online
Visitors: 447
Members: 10
Total: 457

HeliTorque :: View topic - Is there really no torque reaction from collective in FSX?
Forum FAQ
Forum FAQ
Search
Search
Memberlist
Memberlist
Usergroups
Usergroups
Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Wannabes

Is there really no torque reaction from collective in FSX?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mheli
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:08 am    Post subject: Is there really no torque reaction from collective in FSX? Reply with quote

My first post here...

I am mystified. I just started flying helicopters in FSX and noticed that there does not appear to be any torque/collective interaction. This is a fundamental element of heilcopter flight. How can it be missing?

I am a private pilot with ratings in airplane, glider and instrument. I am thinking of adding a heli rating and so thought I might get a leg up using the sim before flying. I have had a few hours of dual in helicopters in the past and I remember the torque / collective relationship was BIG!

I am a great believer in off the shelf sims for training. I got my instrument rating about 10 years ago and used FS extensively to practice.

I would love to do the same for helis - but without realistic flight dynamics it would not be worth it.

I also rigged up a nice heli hardware setup with collective lever, rudder pedals, and stick. Do I have to take it all down? Is flying helis in FSX just about oohing and aawing over paint jobs and cockpit details?
helialex
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mheli,

When compared to fixed wing training, helicopter training in FSX isn't something to be as heavily relied upon. I have used helicopters quite a lot in FSX and have a throttle, joystick and pedals. When it was created by Microsoft they very much minimised the effects of most of the flight dynamics (even when you set the realism settings to full), as you and me know it would be very hard for people who buy FSX as a 'game' to fly a helicopter without a great understanding of how they work!
However there is a piece of software called Heliforce, created by a helicopter pilot to try and make FSX helicopters as realistic as possible. (here is a link to the download: http://www.mediafire.com/?9zjcu5zeenc)
For me, this program is very clever but takes a bit of time to play around with. You will find that you can enable other flight dynamics and that the torque/collective effect will be amplified. I recommend that you change the 'control lag' settings amongst others as some of the stock settings are a bit too over done in my opinion. If you have a bit of dual time experience then you will be able to adjust the settings so that the helicopters begin to feel how you remember them.

I hope this helps a bit, please ask if you have any questions about heliforce.

www.web93.co.uk
Logan
H Addict
H Addict

canada.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

use Xplane 9. every reaction possible can be made in the Heli's availible
fendersim
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logan wrote:
use Xplane 9. every reaction possible can be made in the Heli's availible

I just found it plain impossible! But then I could never get the settings even remotely like the 'real' thing.
helialex
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since my last post I can tell you all that I am now 6.2 hours into my PPL(H). I often used flight simulator x, for enjoyment purposes and learning about helicopters in general.
I found that I got into the cockpit of the R22 on my first lesson knowing what pretty much every instrument or button in the helicopter meant or did, which obviously comes as a great help. I also found that with my attempt at hovering, having practiced on a sim with a joystick, seperate throttle and some rudder pedals definetely helped with the co-ordination side of things. I also knew about the flight dynamics and what was required to make the helicopter do certain things.

However there are some major problems, such as the cyclic in a real helicopter not being spring mounted, so it doesn't bounce back into place like a PC joystick, you actually have to move it back. Also on the topic of the opening thread, there aren't really any 'effects', such as torque reactions, vortex ring, ETL, etc.

Altogether my personal view is that simulation is a great starting point for people interested in aviation, but compared to real life its not even in the same league and it can't fully prepare you for real flight.

www.web93.co.uk
Logan
H Addict
H Addict

canada.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ill agree! sims are great for getting the basics understood, how the heli reacts in certain situations! I can also vouch for the sim teaching me what instruments mean and there purpose! Aside from that the sim for me is something to have fun with, feels nothing like the real thing but helps me understand and learn different things!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Wannabes All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: