Voted : 21
Total Votes : 37
This poll does not expire

WhirlyGirl
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

30" monitor will be good for flight simulators as you'll be able to have a better view and more room on the screen for the instruments. Ideally, it would be good to have three monitors, one set to front view, and one for left and right, to give you more sense of being in the cockpit.

WhirlyGirl Cool
AndyB
'Torquing Regularly
'Torquing Regularly

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or just go to the EC135 Simulator at Bond ... Laughing

--Andy
Bell417
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Since 98 Reply with quote

I've been using MSFS since FS6 (Flight Sim 9Cool. The current version is very well done. I noticed Whirlygirl had mentioned X-Plane, and I'm quite familiar with that too. However, I find MSFS more customizable...the customizations are not nearly as easy as they are in X-Plane, but...

I actually got involved with a Helicopter specific MSFS site 4 years ago...Hovercontrol.com...got together with a group of folks and began a much more in depth journey into the bowels of FS. Turns out, with the tweaking that could be done, I successfully taught myself how to fly helicopters. I built my own flight controls, (which I wound up selling to one of my flight instructors), took things very seriously, buckled down for a couple of years, and now at 24 hours of turbine time, I'm ready to solo. It truely amazed some of my instructors...some even called me a liar! If one dedicates the time and energy to it, FS and X-Plane can be extremely proficient tools for learning the basics of flight.

I now work in the helicopter simulation field, for a helicopter manufacturers' Training Academy. (I'd really rather not devulge completely Very Happy ) Simulation and technology are moving at a blazing speed...solely to our (those who accept these training tools) benefit. MSFS and X-Plane are fantastic tools for those beginners who are thrilled by the thought of flight, and for those veterans of flight who can't get enough!

Scott
Heli-Ops
H Addict
H Addict

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott - Great to see you come and join the forum Smile

You will find that some of the members here are MAC users so they dont really have much of a choice when it comes to FS or X Plane as as far as I know FS is a PC based program at the moment with no plans to offer a MAC platform version.

Cheers and make sure you drag Sheldon and the other guys from work in here Smile

Ned
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Name
oi_martin
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have got Flight Sim 2002, with several of the add on programs like British Airports etc.

I have downloaded freeware heli's from flightsim.com . One is a US coastguard As365 Dauphin. Very realistic although you do have to pause the game to raise or lower the undercarriage.

Also got helicopter operations add on which gives the Bell 407/427, S76, AS365 and R44. The only flaw is that you appear to be in the left seat in the S76 but when you look left using the top hat on the joystick you have P2 sat on your left. It appears that there should be 3 seats in the cockpit.

It appears that a lot of the downladable heli's use the B206 sound effect.

The military heli's add on is also really good although it's very jumpy on my PC, need more memory or faster processor or both.

Martin
Lightning
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use FS 2004 and enjoy the different helicopters a lot. Using www.hovercontrol.com as a main sourse for files.

But now with the new Apple "Intel" computers it is possible to dual boot both Mac OS X AND Microsofts XP. So now my last reson for having a "microsoft pc" in the house is gone.

The system WhirlyGirl describes is great. The company now also has a new model/more expensive one on the line! Thats the one am gonna get my hands on hopefully.The Ranger 5s:
http://www.simcontrol.co.uk/ranger%20page.htm
nrh
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: FS2004 Reply with quote

When I got a PC to do design work I always vowed not to get Flight Simulator, fearful of all the hours I could "waste" on it... Then a friend got me '98...

Now I find myself buying a new CAD workstation mainly because it runs flightsim really well !

It's amazing how far FS has progressed and where it might go in the future. It is like, and also not like, the real thing - one thing is for sure though, the gap is closing. I only have a handful of hours in a vatiety of "real" machines to compare, but flightsim does stack up favourably with the MD900 sim at last years Helitech, and a Russian sim I tried a couple of years back.

I'd reccomend the following add-ons:

1. Switzerland Professional Scenery - Space Shuttle radar terrain survey data overlaid with aerial photos, for those that have seen Just Flight's UK scenery this is a totally different animal.

2. There are a couple of brothers in Hungary, the Nemeths, who produce the most amazing Russian helo models - Mi2/17/24 + more on the way.

3. Track IR infrared head tracker - does exactly that, allows you to look around the cockpit as you fly. Great for making sure the skid is laterally and longitudinally centred on the right bar of the "H" when you touch down...

4. Pedals of some kind.

5. There is an authentic B206 with proper torque etc. by Dodosim but not tried this yet.

From what I've seen X Plane is a far better flight model but FS has much more beautiful graphics.

I hope these comments are useful - please pm me if you'd like to see some screen shots.
VALCOM
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

canada.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the Dodosim Advanced Bell 206B3 and then you will not fly any other,

http://www.dodosim.com/

Once you read that try this video

http://media.putfile.com/Dodosim206AutoRotation
Heli-Ops
H Addict
H Addict

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk about realistic - wonder how long before the gap really closes between what some of these FS designers are doing and the top level systems such as those that Flight Safety use.

Ned

anuva brilyant mynd rooind buy tha publick ejakayshun sistum
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Name
Flying Foxy
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a brill video. Sound is excellent too.

Being the ultimate pedant, is it just a 'not checking the manual' thing or do US operators call a FLARE, a FLAIR over there? Surely not, Flairs are like, well, bell-bottom trousers...?

Do I assume correctly that I'd need M$ Flight Sim to be able to run that program from Dodsim? I imagine a full rig of controls would be an advantage too. I noticed a link to follow for controls used in Sims. Reminds me of that Helichair device - I think for getting used to the instrument panel layout of a 206 it could be a most useful tool.

FF

WhirlyGuy
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heli-Ops wrote:
Talk about realistic - wonder how long before the gap really closes between what some of these FS designers are doing and the top level systems such as those that Flight Safety use.

Ned

The system that we have, X-Plane and the controls is also fairly good. The realism of flight is much better than most. The graphics out the cockpit admittedly aren't the best but you can buy add on packs of scenery that work with it and give you the actual country overlay. X-Plane is actually licensed in America to be used for FAA training as it is so realistic.

In that video that was posted it looked as though at one point the heli was coming to land very close to some moving cars. I could be wrong though!
I suppose it is good to land near to a road though if in emergency as you can then always flag down a vehicle if needed but maybe landing too close is not such a good idea!?

Fantastic video though and nicely executed.

Best wishes,

WhirlyGuy

........... give in!!! lol

W-Guy - PPL(H)
Geezah1984
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use MSFS2004 and have the full VFR scenery. I mainly fly the Just Flight R44, Nemith Design EC120 and Alphasim Seaking. I rarely fly fixedwing and when I do its normally old warbirds.

Cheers

Andy
paddywak
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have fs 2002 and its fun but it would be nice to get hold of some pedals and a collective. Try HoverControll.com for free heli downloads.
Focha
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you guys already test the DODOSim 206 for Microsoft Flight Sim X? It's quite impressive.

And they are doing a Bell 205 more likely a UH-1.

DODOSim page.

Regards.

EDIT: Sorry I didn't notice that another member already refer the DODOSim.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Simulation All times are GMT

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: