Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Ground School

Planning and performance exam
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hot_LZ
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Planning and performance exam Reply with quote

Howdy all.

I am currently wrapping up my final exams and it is the turn of planning and performance. I have been studying the OAT CD and Pooleys Air pilots manual but im finding that it is all FW focused. Im happy with weight and balance calculations but what else is the test going to hold for me? Although iv studied the book i still feel under prepared since its FW im reading and not rotary. Any clues?

Many thanks

LZ
animalsticks
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey hot_lz do you have a confuser? should help give you an idea of what questions to expect, obviously you need to know your stuff but should point you in the right direction. Cool
If it moves i want a go
afterburner
H Addict
H Addict

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

animalsticks wrote:
Hey hot_lz do you have a confuser? should help give you an idea of what questions to expect, obviously you need to know your stuff but should point you in the right direction. Cool

The basics of planning and performance carry over to every aircraft regardless of type.

Rotorcraft do have their peculiarities, but the principles that govern them are the same as FW. The application of aerodynamic principles is the same, but not the resultant effects. Those characteristics that differ are the things you need to know.

The "manner" of planning and performance may differ from FW to RW, but the "why" is the same. Transition pilots find it peculiar that we RW pilots do two WBs, whereas they only do one. Whether you balance fore and aft, or left to right.....principle is the same!

Getting the idea? You may want to check around for a testing guide for sample questions, or sit down with another pilot and ask them to quiz you.

AB
WhirlyGirl
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lz,

The PPL(H) flight planning exam is slightly different to the FW one as far as I know. It seems to be a mixture of W&B calculations to a bit of Principles of Flight and a bit of a mish-mash anything else that wasn't covered in the other exams.

Not sure that the stuff in the confuser or on the CD covers the rotary exam very well. Have you read the Phil Croucher PPL(H) book? That is a lot more helicopter specific.

Sarah
PennyPitstop
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Performance and Planning Exam Reply with quote

I recently took the Performance and Planning Exam for Helicopters and found it really difficult to study for as i couldnt find out what was in it. There are some really good study aids and exam practice books/software for fixed wing but not much for the Helicopter exams. I wish someone had been able to point me in the right direction so heres a few tips on the contents to expect (with no guarantees). Weights & Balance / converting fuel weights and volumes eg lbs/gallons/litres / C of G / inertia - equilibrium - induced flow etc / QFE - QNH /Endurance - range / reading graphs / V refs / performance in dif weather eg icing.
Good Luck Pilot (PS you can find this stuff in the Wag book (but it aint pretty - not cos its hard but it is boring and a bit of a grind if you arent a techy)
Hot_LZ
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

I Kind of let this subject slip away without feedback. Wrapped up the exam with a decent pass. Just goes to show that you will always feel under prepared but i found it ok. Just make sure you smash the books in the run up. I do advise buying the Phil Croucher PPL(H) study book as it is alot more specific to RW.

LZ
WindSwept
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh dont get me started on flight planning and performance hehehe.

I had similar problems, read the phil croucher book, my confuser and my all about r22 book for inspiration with a bit of POH too for the charts but in the end had to just try the test a couple of times lol.
PennyPitstop
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Principles of Flight Reply with quote

Has anyone taken the Principles of Flight exam recently - any tips on the contents. Just got passed the Performance and Planning exam and hitting the books for last one !!! Pilot
animalsticks
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the Norman Bailey book really helpful The Helicopter Pilots Manual Vol1 - principles of helicopter flight
If it moves i want a go
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Ground School All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: