Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Wannabes

Advice please
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gravitate
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Advice please Reply with quote

OK guys hope all is well. BAsically I am looking for some advice and hope I can find it on here. I will start with my current situation. I am married, and I have a 9 month old baby boy and I am 32 years of age. I am currently working as a graduate engineer on basic salary of 32k but I am working over seas at the moment so that is doubled.

I want to settle down in the UK as my son needs to go to school and my wife needs to find a job etc. I hate my job with a passion really. I hate the people and I have no interest in the work. I have been thinking for a few years now how to change my career so I am not unhappy for the rest of my life. It is either becomming a helicopter pilot or paramedic (my ideal job would be search and recue).

A paramedic's wages are really low and considering I would need to go to university AGAIN for 2 years the helicopter path is looking more and more likely. I have had an introduction day 1 year ago which I thoroughly.

I know the cost of the course over a year of around 60k which is no problem for me. But what sort of pay structure will I be looking at, how easy is it to find jobs etc? Any advice would be really really appreciated.
Matt
flingingwings
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help you with the decision.

But food for thought:

9 years ago a JAA modular from nothing to ppl and then cpl cost me about 46k for everything (flying, tests, books, exams, medicals, ratings on R22,R44 and B206)

By the time I'd added an FI rating in order to get some work that total was closer to 75k.

Tuition rates haven't changed a huge amount so expect roughly 50 per flying hour. Salaried instructors are probably on similar money to a paramedic ( I've a mate who is one).

In my case I taught for 18 months then funded a twin rating and multi engine instrument rating. Total bill now roughly 124k.

Qualifications don't guarantee employment. It is all about supply and demand, and presently supply is good but demand is low.

The helicopter industry is notoriously difficult to start in. You'll realistically have to be willing to work anywhere, and plan for it to take some time to secure a position that involves regular flying. Plan on it to take significantly longer to secure a trusted and well respected reputation that will lead to larger aircraft and higher salaries.

There are no guarantees, and its a decision you will have to make yourself.

Only my opinion (based on my experiences and pilots I know whom are looking for work) and no doubt others may well disagree.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

FW
gravitate
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so basically I could potentially be on 20k after training and spending more than the value of my house? Well if that is indeed true then there is no way humanely possible I can afford it with a family and young son. I guess if I won the lottery then maybe I could. I would have to get a mortgae to pay around 125 k and would not be able to afford the repatments if I was on 20k per year.

I was told differently by a few people Sad
LoachBoy
H Addict
H Addict

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As FW says.

Either there is a second income (in the form of your good lady), or you keep the day job going until such time as you can build up the flying hours/opportunity. (I'm in engineering, and am now on contract which gives me a bit more flexibility to take up any flying opportunities).

It is tough out there, butwell worth it if you can find a way around the initial costs, and hurdles!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Wannabes All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: