Search
Search
Memberlist
Memberlist
Usergroups
Usergroups
Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Torque, Chat, and Chill!

Causes of Helicopter Accidents Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindSwept
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little side note, most of our HEMS operations in he UK as far as im aware are conducted single pilot (civilian air ambulance) I will come on to RAF soon. They are governed by strict guidlines on what they can and cannot fly in by the operators. Whether this is legal or just a good practice code im not sure. Nearly all our HEMS operations in the civvy street only operate to off airport locations during offical day. Usually all of the pilots are night and instrument rated which means they are at least equipped to a degree to recover to a field on the occasion that a serious incident prevents them returning before night. Sometimes they conduct patient trasfer flights at night airport to airport etc... where they arn't required to fly low level and land in confined areas at night. This i think significantly reduces the risks associated. Im not sure what its like in other countries but by simply not being put into a positon where your required to land offsite on accident scenes at night and poor weather then the risk is reduced significantly.

The only operaters that could be said to regularly be available for night and poor weather rescue/ HEMS ops would be RAF search and rescue flights. They train in all weather and for a variety of roles from patient transfer to attending accident scenes to rescue operations. They have their limits yes, but you may stumble across them up in the air when other HEMS operations are on the ground, the difference being they are multi crewed with NVG, thermal imaging, and practice it regularly to reduce the risks associated with the situations they operate in.

Sadly its just not cost effective and pilots arn't readily available with the sort of experience required to provide this service on the civilian side yet.
Boecopter
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The only operaters that could be said to regularly be available for night and poor weather rescue/ HEMS ops would be RAF search and rescue flights

HM Coastguard and Royal Navy also have 24hr SAR units, don't make them feel left out and unloved!

and just to nit pick
Quote:
...pilots aren't readily available with the sort of experience required to provide this service on the civilian side yet...

You'll need to explain the "yet" bit to me. Where do you think a sizeable chunk of "the civilian side" come from?
WindSwept
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did mention RAF search and rescue that was almost i sort of included them i know they all provide search and resecue.

Because there isnt enough military pilots with search and rescue experience in the same company at the same time. In order for an operator to justify providing the equipment and infastructure to support it you would need more than just one of those pilots in the organisation.

Obviously there are the odd expection being Bristow search and rescue... but generally not available.
veeany

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And in the UK Bristow SAR is no more, the Coastguard contract went to CHC about 18 months ago.

Some of the stayed in the SAR role, some stayed at Brisotw, not all are ex mil I know quite a few who are civvie self improvers.
PilotWolf
H Addict
H Addict

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any dual police/ambulance units running? They used to do night EMS ops under the police AOC and with the benefits of FLIR, etc.

W.
veeany

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PW

Wiltshire I believe.

GS
PilotWolf
H Addict
H Addict

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veeany wrote:
PW

Wiltshire I believe.

GS

OK, I know there was a few around when I was a paramedic - that was over 5 years ago now.

I wasn't sure how many joint ops had ended when the dedicated EMS started to appear a while back.

W.
ORC
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that when the North West air ambulance stationed at Barton suffered engine problems, the Manchester police helicopter was used to cover operations until a replacement aircraft arrived. Also when the Cheshire police's new EC 135 came into service there was a mention in the press release of the crew being trained to deal with motorway incidents and provide emergency medical assistance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Torque, Chat, and Chill! All times are GMT

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: