Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Anything Goes!

Winsford man charged with endangering an aircraft
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ORC
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Winsford man charged with endangering an aircraft Reply with quote

13 Aug 2010

A Winsford man has been charged with recklessly endangering an aircraft.

The charge came after a laser was shone into the cockpit of the Cheshire Police helicopter on Wednesday night as it flew over the town.

The 27 year-old was arrested and is due to appear at Northwich Magistrates Court on 2nd September 2010.
bom
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do people insist on doing this? What is the mental state of these people!
James T Lowe

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There're two reasons that spring to mind. Laser pointers seem to be much more affordable, and readily available than ever before.

And because incidents like that are reported (and it only took the first one!) criminals now have that idea in mind, and can see a personal benefit - what was the target here? Police helicopter...

That said though, I fail to understand why you'd want to target other civil aircraft.

*sigh* Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad
flingingwings
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interbreeding?

Been on the receiving end of two 'lasers' now and in both cases I'll happily say that'd had I been in a position to catch the person responsible, I'd have shoved their 'toy' so far, their eyes would have glowed.
DBChopper
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

General f***wittedness?

We had a conversation about this at work last week, after our company helicopter had kindly guided me and my faithful companion onto a motorcycle-riding drug dealer (we won).

During that incident our heli crew had a laser shone at them and we wondered what you see from the "receiving" end - is there a distinct "line" of light from the laser itself, or do you just see a dot? We concluded that it must depend on the amount of, or lack of, light and the weather conditions, but I'm interested to get the answer from the horse's mouth. Not that I'm comparing you to any old nag, FW Wink

CPL(H) finally!
R22 R44
Redhill
flingingwings
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yer probaby right re conditions playing a part.

I've never seen the 'light saber' effect.

First I knew was very bright green dot off to righthand side, that was rapidly aimed into the cockpit. It refracts off the windows and reflects off just about every reflective surface in the cockpit, and buggers yer vision.

Dot is bright enough that you can narrow down to within one or two houses where its coming from without much problem.

The MOR from the last one will be on a CAA reports thingy fairly soon I'd imagine Smile
ORC
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep trying to find an update on this story as the court date has been and gone. Anyone have any info ???
ORC
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Six Months Suspended Reply with quote

Cheshire Police helicopter captures laser pen menace
Jan 24 2011 Chester Chronicle

A JUDGE heard that the crew of the Cheshire Police helicopter was able to pinpoint the exact location of a laser pen which was being aimed at the aircraft.

Using the helicopterís thermal imaging equipment and a low light lens attached to the observation camera, the police observer, Sergeant Dave Kibblewhite tracked the laser beam to a window in a block of flats.

Another officer matched the window to an address and patrol cars were deployed to it.

At Chester Crown Court, Joseph Standish, aged 27, of Bannister Court, Winsford admitted acting recklessly or negligently in a manner likely to endanger an aircraft.

He was sentenced to six months in prison, suspended for two years, and ordered to do 150 hours unpaid work. The laser pen was confiscated.

The incident took place as the helicopter flew over Winsford on an evening in August last year.

The aircraft was hovering a thousand feet above ground when the intense green laser beam caused dazzle on the Perspex cockpit and caught Sergeant Kibblewhite in the eyes, disorientating him for a few seconds.

Minutes later he and his colleagues had located the source of the beam and sent patrols to the address.

Before the officers arrived Standish dropped the laser pen into a drain. At first he denied knowing anything about the incident but went to Winsford Police Station the following day.

When interviewed again, he admitted shining the laser beam on to a field and when the helicopter came over, pointed it at the aircraft.

After the hearing, Sergeant Kibblewhite said, ďAiming a laser beam at any type of aircraft is a serious offence. The consequences could be disastrous. With the technology the helicopter carries we can locate the source of any point of light instantly. So anyone who is misguided enough to try this sort of thing should think again.Ē
GaviG
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really do not condone the shining of lasers at aircraft, and i do strongly agree that it should not be done, I myself have never shone a laser at any aircraft, however, I have owned a laser in my youth, and I guess its human curiosity and ignorance that these people do it.

I do not think these people are shining their lasers at helicopters and thinking, I wonder if i can make it crash.... there thinking, mmmmm i wonder if my laser could reach that far.... its not like it says on the box, do not shine at aircraft. shining this beam could cause a helicopter to crash. or shining this laser at aircraft is a criminal offence and can get you arrested with a criminal record...... i think people need to get educated...... I mean when you buy it, its a £10 toy..... and you think its harmless...... people are stupid when it comes to logic sometimes, they have never been in a cockpit, so they do not know that it bounces off of every surface and causes visual imperment....

but that's just my opinion haha Smile

we do need to stop it from happening!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Anything Goes! All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: