New Yesterday: 0
Registering: 0
Members: 6662
Latest: chrisw

Most Ever Online
Visitors: 447
Members: 10
Total: 457

HeliTorque :: View topic - Flashy Nav Light observations..
Forum FAQ
Forum FAQ
Search
Search
Memberlist
Memberlist
Usergroups
Usergroups
Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Ground School

Flashy Nav Light observations..
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GaviG
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: Flashy Nav Light observations.. Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I have managed to read the Helicopters Pilots manual volume 1 & 2, and am now in the Meteorology section of the pooleys Aviation Law & Meteorology books.

and in both books, it states that the red Nav Light is on the port side or left side of the plane. and the green is on the starboard or right. and the white beacons in the rear.

Now I stay in a 13 storey high rise building, fairley close to Heathrow(well a few miles away), and I watch planes in all directions taking off, landing etc.. and all I can see is the strobing white lights! I don't see any green or red lights, I thought they were supposed to be easy to see Smile

now I found this interesting page - http://casper.frontier.nl/egkk/
I find it to be extreamly accurate. as soon as the plane touches down, its off the map. if you play with the settings, you can change the colour of the planes to yellow for inbound, blue for out bound and green for transit..

now in my mind, outbound will be planes leaving the area or taking off. inbound will be planes landing or entering the area. and transit means passing through, now i have noticed a few of the transit green planes, when compared to looking out my window, have visible red and green nav lights. for all the rest i only see strobing white light..

and even more oddness, i have now seen two transit planes on the map cross over both heathrow runways and dissapear somewhere near the m4. when watching from the window, i can confirm by the strobing white light that it is the same direction as on the map, but appears to be landing. now if i zoom in on the map, there does not appear to be a runway in that direction, could this be a heli even though the map shows its a plane?

i though i could be colour blind, but i can see flashing red lights on buildings in the distance, so that rules that out Smile haha.

can anyone explain these odd observations haha. ?
DBChopper
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey GaviG - that took a lot of reading! Wink

I can assure you that the red / green / white nav lights will be present, but I suspect that the fact that you cannot see them will have more to do with the intensity of the strobes at low level masking them and the general light pollution in the area more than anything else. Where I live, while I'm plodding round the field at night listening to the sound of my dogs fighting in the distance, I can watch the inbound aircraft holding over the BIG VOR beacon just up the road from me and the nav lights are clearly visible.

I suspect the aircraft you mention might be landing at Northolt, which is pretty close to Heathrow and takes a lot of bizjet traffic. Either that or aliens are beaming them up for experimentation purposes... Laughing

By the way - that website is fascinating - thanks.

CPL(H) finally!
R22 R44
Redhill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Ground School All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: