New Yesterday: 0
Registering: 0
Members: 6662
Latest: chrisw

Most Ever Online
Visitors: 447
Members: 10
Total: 457

HeliTorque :: View topic - How long does it take to solo?
Forum FAQ
Forum FAQ
Search
Search
Memberlist
Memberlist
Usergroups
Usergroups
Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Wannabes

How long does it take to solo? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ifresh21
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DBChopper wrote:
Quote:
Really surprising that they don't drop the price. Do you know why?

Not surprising at all. You will have been briefed and assisted in the planning stage by an instructor who needs to authorise the flight and be available to monitor your progress, and probably speak with you once you have reached your destination, if it is a cross country flight.

Quote:
Do you mean the you planned it or like the school?

I'm sorry - I don't know what that means Confused

Oh i see so your not really doing it on your own completely. The instructor is still around alot. I thought when you solo you maybe need the instructor for few mins before to look over things or something like that (at the most) and you are good to go. I understand now.

I meant did the school plan the flight or did the solo pilot plan the flight. Loach answered though

Anyway my questions are answered and i gained some knowledge so thanks a lot for the help guys

Ill prolly be around the forums specially when I start fliying

Thanks again
Heliwhore
H Addict
H Addict

australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked my log book, 12.1 to solo and 45.6 to complete........ sorry, couldn't resist posting. Embarassed

However, it's not about how long the solo takes, your training can be messed around by weather and other factors, which will not allow progression in the right order.
It's more about how confident and prepared you are when you finally get your PPL.

HW
ifresh21
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heliwhore wrote:
sorry, couldn't resist posting. Embarassed

its ok
RedDragonBus
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the Robinson safety course this year, I am pretty sure the guy said that Robinson have a rule that you have to have x hours dual in the R22 before going solo? This is to prevent people being gunho and trying to out do each other.

He mentioned something about the US army flying school having a thing that if you didn't solo by 15 hours you would be chucked off the course. This had translated through to the civilian training as ex military pilots with experience of large heavy machines were using R22's for flight training and killing themselves and their students.

I just checked I think I solo'd at 21 hours? I did 0.1 with my instructor standing watching me take off to the hover, land, take off to the hover, hover for a bit, land. Then he jumped back in and we hovered back to the apron.

So my first solo flight was about 6ft.

PPL (H)
R22 62.3 Hours

Driving Standards Agency Approved Driving Instructor (Car)
9000+ hours teaching learner car drivers.
gusmagoo
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well reading a few of the times here makes me feel like a real slow coach!
I went solo at 35.3 hours and took my flight handling test at 73.5 hours.
In my defence, my lessons were spread over 18 months and I was flying from Liverpool airport every time, which means I was queuing up with a few large passenger aircraft when I did my solo!
My instructor flew circuits with me for an hour or so, I dropped him off, did a final 15 minute circuit and picked him up again, lesson over.... He had a radio to listen in but otherwise it was just me, and the control tower staff!
Loved it though!!!
At the end of the day your instuctor is the one who decides when your ready, after you've satisfied any country and school rules. I obviously had to pass my RT course too...
Its not a competition, if you're not ready, and your engine fails, your screwed! Sad
MintedMav
'Torquing Regularly
'Torquing Regularly

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having read through this thread there isnt an answer to the requirements needed to go solo - only some information on minimum time.

Ive checked with my instructors and the only actual requirement in the UK prior to you going solo is that you have your medical class 2 certificate. If you have this then the timing of when you go solo is simply down to when your instructor is happy that you are ready. Clearly you need to know how to safely fly the aircraft from on the ground to round the circuit and back, you need to know how to get the aircraft down to a reasonable flair in autorotation so you can at least walk away from an engine failure, you need to know how to use the radio in the circuit and you need to know enough of the rules of the air to keep you out of airspace you shouldn't be in and what to do to avoid other aircraft you may come across.

On this last piece it is my understanding that most schools ask that you have passed your Air Law exam prior to being allowed to fly solo and this was certainly the case for me in my microlight training. However my instructor has confirmed that in the UK passing air law prior to helicopter solo is not an actual requirement.

My last point is that there is a lot that can go wrong in a helicopter and I am certainly in no rush to get to solo. I want my instructors to be absolutely confident that I am more than skilled enough before letting me loose on my own.
Hughes500
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minted man
Make sure you have done engine off landings before going solo. Any fool can get in to an auto. It is what happens at the bottom that decides if you walk away or not.
All my students will have become proficient at EOL's to the ground before going solo. No good when the machine is a smoking hole in the ground saying perhaps I should have shown him EOL's.I know everyone will tell you engines rarely fail, are you prepared to take that risk, I am not with my students. !
I will send a student solo when they can fly round the circuit without my subconscious putting my mitts on the controls. Granted they are on the controls in an eol, but that is only to preserve the ac.
gusmagoo
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m sure (well at least I hope!) Minted mav didn’t mean that you didn’t need to know how to do engine off landings, of course you do, like a few of us have said here, being ready is mostly your instructors’ call, and can you imagine what the AAIB would say if the recovering student said “well I hadn’t been shown that yet” where the Engine Off landings were concerned!...
Having thought back, yes, at the Liverpool helicentre it was Medical, (at least class 2) Air Law and RT completed and passed, before you are even considered for solo. Mine was a few years ago now but I’m sure they’ll still have a set routine for how it’s carried out as well (lesson before hand, taxi back to GA area before departure etc.)
Oh and i'm sure you'll agree Hughes500, "rarely" can be substituted by "sometimes" or "occasionally" for an even more cynical view on the engine failures! Smile
ORC
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gusmagoo, I just read through your account of your first solo. Was it really 3 years ago !!!!!!!!!! wow , how time flys.
SpotTheBlip
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just checked my logbook and I went solo (hover) at 3:40 and solo circuits at 7:20. I might just add that prior to this I had quite a few thousand fixed wing hours but, picking up on a previous post, I do wonder whether my instructor was 'on a mission' Smile.

Rather perversely, having gone solo so early, the rest of the course seemed to take a lifetime to complete, particularly the VFR nav/instrument flight bits which are broadly similar to the fixed wing environment.
MintedMav
'Torquing Regularly
'Torquing Regularly

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hughes500 wrote:
Minted man
Make sure you have done engine off landings before going solo. Any fool can get in to an auto. It is what happens at the bottom that decides if you walk away or not.
All my students will have become proficient at EOL's to the ground before going solo. No good when the machine is a smoking hole in the ground saying perhaps I should have shown him EOL's.I know everyone will tell you engines rarely fail, are you prepared to take that risk, I am not with my students. !
I will send a student solo when they can fly round the circuit without my subconscious putting my mitts on the controls. Granted they are on the controls in an eol, but that is only to preserve the ac.

Hi Hughes500 - I am getting close to solo now but as I understand it EOL's to the ground are not taught in the UK now as there were too many accidents. I have done a good number of autos down to the flare and then level the disc with engine recovery before touchdown and have been shown the down to the ground bit but not actually done that piece. Do you still teach that element before sending someone solo?

Geoff
Hughes500
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I refuse to do a power recovery in an eol, in a 300, which I do my training on, you are highly likely to overspeed the engine and cause a lot of damage. Quite frankly if your instructor cant teach you an eol to the ground he shouldnt be teaching you
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Wannabes All times are GMT

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: