New Yesterday: 0
Registering: 0
Members: 6662
Latest: chrisw

Most Ever Online
Visitors: 447
Members: 10
Total: 457

HeliTorque :: View topic - What to do after commercial add-on?
Forum FAQ
Forum FAQ
Search
Search
Memberlist
Memberlist
Usergroups
Usergroups
Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Employment

What to do after commercial add-on?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aphelion79
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:13 am    Post subject: What to do after commercial add-on? Reply with quote

Hello all! Newbie to the forums here, let me first give you some background story about myself:
I've been flying since 2004, I have 250 hours of flight time and am just about to get my fixed wing commercial certificate. I'm Instrument rated, complex, and high performance endorsed (the latter two are with commercial, so not -quite- yet lol)

However, I recently found I can get a rotorcraft add-on for about 35-50 hours of flight time. I think I may have found a school that has 200/hr solo and 230/hr dual instruction in an R22. Which is REALLY cheap as the school I first looked into helicopter flight a few years ago had an R22 for 275/hr solo 305/hr dual!

------
Thus leads into my question: Flying the R22, I see the FAA requires 200 hours of flight time in the bird in order to become a CFI in it. I really don't want to be a CFI, but given the choice between being a CFI for fixed wing or helicopters I really have more of a passion for teaching others how to fly choppers!

What -is- there out there for potential helicopter jobs? My *BIGGEST* concern right now are some short term, (fresh out of the add-on rating) entry level jobs.
Entry Level Ideas:

• Tour Flights
  • Photo Flights
  • Pipeline Inspection

Long Term Ideas:

• Flight Instruction Civilian/Military
  • EMS
  • Long Lining
  • Police Helicopter

What ideas do you folks have for potential career ideas? (Please focus mostly on the entry level jobs as that's what I'm going to be facing the biggest bottleneck on!)
Hillerbee
'Torquing Regularly
'Torquing Regularly

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, you won't manage the add-on in 50 hours.

Nobody will ever employ you with less than a 100 hours on helicopters. Becoming a CFI great, but again with no hours you won't be employed. Even with 200 hours of helicopter time, you won't find a job as a CFI, because there are plenty of CFI's around with loads of time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Employment All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: