New Yesterday: 0
Registering: 0
Members: 6662
Latest: chrisw

Most Ever Online
Visitors: 447
Members: 10
Total: 457

HeliTorque :: View topic - CPLH / ATPLH Ground school advice & recommendations plea
Forum FAQ
Forum FAQ
Search
Search
Memberlist
Memberlist
Usergroups
Usergroups
Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Ground School

CPLH / ATPLH Ground school advice & recommendations plea
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Helisteve
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: CPLH / ATPLH Ground school advice & recommendations plea Reply with quote

Hi All

I have recently completed the PPLH course and I'm now waiting for the license to come through before approaching a CPLH ground school. After a bit of internet research and quizing my instructors it seems the options are limited?

Currently my preference is swaying toward CAPT due to offering the CPLH as opposed to the ATPLH and the course being helicopter specific.

On the other hand there is Bristol who only seem to offer the ATPLH interim course, but I have heard good things about this. However I don't see me completing the IR training in the 36 month limit. This seems to make the extra study & exams pointless at this stage?

The final option was CATS again this is the interim course however they do offer the CPLH.

If anyone has any experience with any of these courses and can give me some feed back or recommendations it would be appreciated. Also if you feel I may of overlooked another school please let me know.

Cheers
Steve
seanhump
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evening..

Did the majority of my groundschool with CAPT (it's a long story...) and can thoroughly recommend Phil.... nothing lacking in terms of content and quality, and a nice guy too...

Distance course was great, and the consolidation worked as advertised....

Finished off the flight training up at Central Helicopters in Nottingham .. absolutley spot on...

Just my 2p's worth...
Heliwhore
H Addict
H Addict

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, be very sure which road you go down at the moment.

The situation as it stands at present is that:
....If you do ATPL exams, you are correct that you only have 3 years to do IR, otherwise you need to sit IR exams to be able to get on an IR course.
....If you do CPL exams, you can at a later date do your IR exams and then get your IR. This will give you a CPL/IR(H), which currently gives you the theory credit for an ATPL when you have flown the necessary hours etc.. So as you see, at the moment it is the same either way, only you did a few more exams in the first option.

In March/April 2012, EASA Part FCL is being implemented, in this (at present in it's draft format) it states that a CPL/IR(H) will need to complete 250 hours more study/exams to upgrade to an ATPL. So they have taken away the clause of a CPL/IR meeting the knowledge requirements for ATPL.

The part that I'm not sure about is, if you did the ATPL exams and let them lapse (ie doing the IR exams to start IR course) whether your ATPL's still count when you want to upgrade to ATPL(H). This would need to get an answer from the CAA/EASA office.
_Murdoch_
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

I had your same dilemma a few months back. I decided just to get on & do the ATPL(H) exams after muchos deliberation... At the mo at least I don't envisage being able to do the IR in the 3yr window & I'll be a RidICuLOUSLy happy man if I can just get steady work as an instructor in my early years, but for the sake of the additional exams & cost, I figured what the hell. I'd like to think it puts me in a more favourable/flexible position depending on what the immediate future holds & of course if I win the lottery & can suddenly afford the IR...! Laughing

Chose CAPT in the end; close friend's a fixed-wing pilot & used Bristol - nothing but praise all the way - but I'd rather learn the info in the context of heli's & that's where for me Phils course won the day. Plus, Bristol split the material down the middle; 2x modules with 7x exams a-piece. Phil splits them into 3x modules, which for me with a 9-5, felt more manageable.

Cheers
Dark007
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm probably going to go with CAPT, however, I envisage taking a few years to build up to the CPL course requirements i.e. 155 hours total time.

So I'm wary about starting study too early, taking exams too early and then finding out some have expired by the time I finish the CPL course. Does anyone know how long an exam result remains valid?
Helisteve
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all

Many thanks for the great advise, feeling alot more confident in choosing CAPT. However starting to feel the ATPL(H) exams might be the way forward. If there is any more info regarding the 2012 changes i'd appreciate it.

Cheers
flingingwings
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D007,

LASORs is your friend Smile

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=175&pagetype=68&gid=2081

Section J 1.5 and 1.6

Basically you have to pass all the exams within 18 months of your first exam sitting, using a maximum of 6 sittings, and no more than 4 attempts at any individual paper. The 18 month period is counted from the end of the month of the first sitting. Take over 18 months, six sittings, or 4 attempts at any paper..............and you have to sit ALL the exams again

Once all the exams are passed you have 36 months (from the end of the month of the final pass) within which to complete and pass a CPL course. Miss the 36 month deadline........and its back to the books Sad
Dark007
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks flingingwings! Shoulda checked lasors first! Rolling Eyes
rjc
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the ATPL(H) with Phil (CAPT), squeaked the last exam in just on the 18 month timeline. Great course with excellent material, all Heli related and the books make a great reference for the future.

Given the dilemma between the CPL(H) and ATPL(H) route I just went for the APTL(H). Yes, there is a bit more work and cost, but it means any future bases are covered from the theory side. Never know what may be round the corner...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Ground School All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: