Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Wannabes

Thinking about a career
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fletch
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject: Thinking about a career Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I'm in my last year at college currently studying public services wanting to join the police. One thing i've just noticed is that this is a .com site so is this an american based forum? In which case I'm in the wrong place as I'm British.

Anyway in the current state the police is not going to be recruiting for quite a long time so i've been thinking about having a career as a helicopter pilot. I have no idea where I should start. I was hoping someone on here could provide with some advice and guidance in where I should be looking.

I'm ideally looking for something where I could apply and they would teach me how to fly a helicopter with no expense on my end as i've been looking at prices for lessons and I will not be able to afford them for a very long time.

I'd like to say thank you to all those that try to help me.
flip2
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, and welcome to the site.
It is an international forum, but a significant proportion of the contributors are from the UK.

To cut straight to the chase, you are looking for either:
1. A cadetship scheme - elusive, competitive, and comes with a return of service agreement whereby you agree to work for them for a fixed period of time. The last company offering this was Bond Offshore Helicopters, I believe; or
2. Scholarships - equally elusive and competitive. Check out GAPAN, and I think Dennis Kenyon used to offer one; or
2. Your local armed forces careers office.
flingingwings
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

For what you need hours and qualifications wise, look here:

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=175&pagetype=68&gid=2081

Practically,

I cannot think of anywhere currently offering an ab-initio course.

GAPAN have previously offered an FI (H) course - a course that would add a Flight Instructors rating to an already qualified Commercial Pilot licence. Ergo you'd need a CPL(H) to apply. I'm fairly certain that the 2011 scholarship was the last FI(H) one planned.

Dennis has previously offered a PPL scholarship. Ergo you'd still need to fund from PPL onwards. I think sponsorship sources for this have dried up currently too.

Military is about your only ab-initio option. Even then you'd have to complete some sort of bridging package years down the line to get your Mil qualifications crossed over in to the civvie market.

Being brutally honest - currently you wont find what you want (qulaification with no financial outlay) outside of the Military option. And even then it may well ultimately cost you some money at some point. Sorry
haggishunter
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums.

Bond Offshore ran a sponsorship 2 years ago, I believe the second batch of people are at Bristow Academy in the states now. You could send a mail to Bond and ask if they intend to run the scheme again in the near future.

As mentioned there is the forces, but no guarantee you will be a helicopter pilot when you join. I applied when I was 19 and said I wanted to be a helicopter jockey, but no such luck as I had to meet the fast jet requirements and was too tall.

HH

"When the tough gets going, the tough eat haggis!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Wannabes All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: