New Yesterday: 0
Registering: 0
Members: 6662
Latest: chrisw

Most Ever Online
Visitors: 447
Members: 10
Total: 457

HeliTorque :: View topic - Not more questions?
Forum FAQ
Forum FAQ
Search
Search
Memberlist
Memberlist
Usergroups
Usergroups
Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Ground School

Not more questions?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paddywak
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Not more questions? Reply with quote

Well all was going well with PET and PNR calculations until I came across a question asking me to calculate the PET for:

TAS= 180kt
Distance from A to B= 360nm
AB= -15kt
BA= +15kt

Now I supposed (wrongly) that this would mean outbound GS = 180- 15kt
and the homebound GS =180 +15kt

Very confusing Rolling Eyes

Infact as I discovered by doing it the other way I arrived at the correct answer.

PET

360nm x home 165
-----------------------
out 195+home 165

----------

= 165 nm

So if any one else sees a question with these + or - remember

tailwind = minus
headwind= plus
LoachBoy
H Addict
H Addict

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd query that one Paddywak - a tail wind makes you cover the ground faster...... should be the '+'. (If in doubt, think of your normal route planning navigation calks for wind drift, time-on-leg, etc).

I always found drawing a quick sketch of the A-B, with the distances and speeds you're given scribbled on; then makes it obvious which bit you're calculating.

PS. Just edited this in case you meant "tailwind=minus" as in "takes less time" - in which case you're completely right! There, now I've confused the issue entirely..... Rolling Eyes
paddywak
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes thats what I meant " less time",
Still confusing though, it seems that they want to deliberatly catch students out. So often Ive found many questions with almost 2 correct answers and the right answer can be just the difference between the way in which the question is worded or the omission of one word, as I'm sure you found when you did yours.
I always thought that the CAA would want to make aviation safer for all concerned by leaving as little doubt as possible not confusing issues. It seems they have a hidden agenda.
There was an FAA instructor on my course, when I asked him what the difference in study material was and how it compared, he replied " FAA questions are all relevant to the job and fairly straight forward".
Perhaps EASA could share some ideas with the FAA to make examinations more applicable to flying helicopters.
Or then again Laughing
LoachBoy
H Addict
H Addict

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I regret to inform you that you will encounter this scenario a few times along this 'incredible journey' (I really must stop the misses watching Strictly Come Poncing).

But you are right, encounter it we did - I have a wee suspicion that questions are invited from the JAA member states (to provide a balance), but something gets lost in translation...... and as we all know, language is a tricky old devil!
Hughes500
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loachboy I twould have thought strictly come poncing was right up your street ?
LoachBoy
H Addict
H Addict

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't make me mention in public your new canine addition Mr 500......

(I have ordered that pink diamante-encrusted collar you requested by the way..... I assume it's for the handbag-dog.....) Laughing
flip2
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is fair to say that the JAA system gives you an education, whereas other systems give you training. Of course, people differ about which they want but there is little choice in the matter. If it makes you feel any better the FAA system does ask what size the batteries are in the cockpit torch! However you can also answer every single flight planning,mass and balance and performance question without using a whizz wheel or calculator by memorizing some simple answer patterns...

I'll freely admit that much of the JAA knowledge is applied answering student's questions, doing other licences, doing type conversions or getting into convoluted crew room debates rather than having a direct cockpit application. An engineer working as an instructor for a major manufacturer was of the opinion that JAA pilots were often better educated but could be lazy, whereas FAA pilots worked harder but were frequently let down by a lack of knowledge. I laughed but it was an interestng third party opinion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Ground School All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: