HeliTorque Forum Index » Wannabes

Q's :)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dewi749s
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Q's :) Reply with quote

Hey all,

I must say the advice given in this section regards careers is second to none, I think between 3 or 4 threads 99% of the all the questions as somebody starting out would ask have been answered.

One question I have though is the following

I recently seen on the web of a person being hired as a first officer co-pilot with circa 300hrs (hope for us all) for an off shore pilot. Had ATPL exams done, IR and twin rating.

My question is how do you go from Co-Pilot to Pilot in terms of logging hrs as i believe the co-pilot cant log PIC time. So say you had over a total 1000hrs helicopter time but only i dunno 200hrs PIC hrs how do you make the transition form Co.Pilot to Pilot. Do you do instructing on the side and build hrs that way ??

i just wonder

Many thanks
haggishunter
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Dewi,

Firstly the goal posts for offshore positions are constantly moving, depending on the number of positions available. In the UK the minimum requirement is usually 200-300hrs, with IR. To hold the IR you need your ATPL exams.

When you get in a company flying Multi-Crew there is two ways to upgrade to Captain.

1. The most common is that after a certain amount of experience on type/role you can begin flying as PiC/US (Pilot in Command/Under Supervision). Normally this will only be with a Captain who is a Line Trainer or Instructor. You will fly in the right-hand seat and take on the role as Captain from an experience point of view. And when you have sufficient hours to apply for an ATPL Licence you can enter a Command Course.

2. Not so common, but just so happens this is the system we work to in my company, is that once you have X amount of experience (consisting of total time and so much of it being multi engine) you can begin the Command Course. The difference is that the Command Course may take longer then mentioned in point 1. The line training part will probably consist of more flights/sectors. Once the course is complete you will sit a Commander check ride in the sim and then be issued your ATPL.

Hope this helps.

HH

"When the tough gets going, the tough eat haggis!"
haggishunter
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also just to clarify,

Both PIC and P2 (co-pilot) time counts 100% towards total time. But P2 cannot be logged towards PIC time.

"When the tough gets going, the tough eat haggis!"
Dewi749s
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats exactly what i wanted to know. Many thanks you cleared it right up for me.

Dave
Dewi749s
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might as well keep all my questions together. Idea

Im at the stage where im saving like mad, and hoping to get started on ppl (H) in the summer.

I hoping to complete my ppl (h) here at home as its easier for me to do so as regards time off from work etc.

I hope to save a few quid and then block buy maybe 20-30hrs as i reckon ill get a better deal. My plan is to complete a few of the exams for the ppl over the coming months and then concentrate on the flying for the summer months. Realistically id be hoping to take 2 weeks hols and do as much flying as possible in those 2 weeks. Is this a good/bad idea ?? realistically how many hrs could i fly in a week ?

My other question is on obtaining my Easa PPL(h) my next challenge is to get to CPL (H) Stage. This will be in the modular fashion, again i plan to get the theory out of the way as much as possible and then proceed to concentrate on the hour building aspect. I hope again to do hour building in blocks but this time maybe abroad i.e. in florida etc. Will it be possible to do the hour building at approved schools in this fashion ?

Any body see any great flaws or have any advice on the above ?
I intend to do all this over the next 2-3yrs.

One other item ye may be able to aid me with, is with current world situation there is a possibility i might have to move to australia, im from ireland at the moment. Provided i have my ppl (h) prior to departure whats the best way of hour building over there, re do my ppl h ? and fly over there or is there jaa approved schools over there too?

Sorry if the above make no sense i think im getting way ahead of myself but i like to have a rough map of where im going and what im doing

Once again and all advice is very much appreciated.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Wannabes All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: