Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Instructor Forum

Current instructor prospects
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heliwhore
H Addict
H Addict

australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Current instructor prospects Reply with quote

I'm coming into the time where I soon need to begin working towards an instructor rating. What I'm interested in is, what the prospects are for instructors at the moment? Is there a shortage/surplus, and does it make a large difference if its summer or winter.It seems that as there is a shortage of commercial pilots, the positions are being filled with the experienced instructors.Obviously I'm hoping this is the case. I'd be quite interested to hear not only from the UK market, but worldwide as well.
blme
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Instructor prospects Reply with quote

Hi Daver,

I realise you already have your CPL, but for other candidates, talk to the training school that you are undertaking your FI course with and check if there are opportunities once qualified at their school.
I would look carefully at the school you choose to see if they can give you your first break.
My advice is to find a large enough school, do your commercial course with them, do all your hour building with them and then your FI.
They will know you well by then and if you have already been given an indication of possible work then you are on your way. Instructional time will give you more experience and lead to commercial work at the right company.

Regards

blme
Heliwhore
H Addict
H Addict

australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, looking back on my training etc, I would have to agree with you blme.
Unfortunately I chopped and changed places between training and hour building. I'm now looking at a different place to do my FI course. All this changing has led me to loose contact with each place as I didn't form a strong enough connection with any of them. It get's tricky when you're in the sticks of Scotland though.
WilliamW
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out here in Arizona, where the weather makes year round VFR the norm, the school I work for has a pretty constant flow of instructors. It is pretty much assumed that if you have a safe record and good attitude that you will be hired. After 12 months at most, you will have your 1000 hours and able to move on to a job in the broader industry.

That makes our turnover pretty high, but I also means that students know they have something waiting for them when they finish. I started my training in September 05, and by January 07 when I earned my CFI, every instructor who had been at the school when I started was now out in industry.

I have never gone to another school, but I think that this is about as fast as it can be done. As I mentioned though, we can fly all day, pretty much all year, so many people come here just to train (I did).

Best of luck in your search.
Antarctic_Chap
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
First post here on HeliTorque!

Is it normal for instructors with say 300 hrs to get a job in the United Kingdom from an insurance point of view?

Thanks.
raffski
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

ireland.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well depends. Yes you will get a job straight out of FI school if there is a need and your face fits (helps if you are a known quantity). So to answer the question, there is no insurance restriction. Supply and demand is the main issue.
Antarctic_Chap
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply raffski.
paddywak
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many hours roughly per year could a newly Qualified instructor expect to log in their first year working in the U.K?
Does anyone have any figures from experience?

I'm trying to work out how many years it's going to take me to break even...
MAUW-oops
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: FI Prospects Reply with quote

Hi.

First hand experiance of this tells me if you want to start flying loads as an FI do the course in Feburary.

That way when the 'Certificate' comes back from the CAA, spring is here and there are loads of trial flights waiting to fly.

Having just completed my FI course on the 4th October I have already had a couple of trial flights and looking at my calender I have a couple of jobs each weekend for a while.

Ask the same question of the school where you will be doing the FI.

They should in theory be able to start you off on your new FI career, if they say they cant then maybe look a a different school that will.

PM me if you require more info.

Max
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Instructor Forum All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: