Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Wannabes

Another One
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoshG
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Another One Reply with quote

Hello everyone, would like to say hi and what a good source of useful info this forum is. I have decided on a career change and want to go down the route I have dreamed of for years and that is obviously flying! I have been self employed as a carpenter/builder for the last 11 years since I arrived in the UK from NZ, the trade was good up until 5 years ago and then the bottom fell out and has never been the same since. After a lot of thinking and discussing with my Mrs we visited Sloane Helicopters to have a chat about options and came away very encouraged about things and I think the most realistic and affordable option is working towards a PPL,CPL and then Instructor. I will be paying as I fly as I don't have the option of whacking a load of money down for the PPL, I'm 32 and figure that if I get my head down and get to where I want to be I will have a good number of years left to work making me employable.
First things first though is the class 1 medical which should be fine but I don't remember the last time I visited the doctor so still a bit nervous about that! Am I correct that the cost of the class 1 is around the 400 mark?
I look forward to sharing my experiences on the journey.
Josh
flip2
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Another One Reply with quote

JoshG wrote:
Am I correct that the cost of the class 1 is around the 400 mark?

Hello Josh, welcome to the forum.

A quick look at the CAA's scheme of charges (which can be found here) shows that an initial EASA Class 1 medical is 348.

Incidentally, you will find references to both "EASA" and "JAA" as you start to look into your licensing. Until quite recently, the system the UK followed was JAA, but now it is EASA.

Hope that helps
JoshG
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, I have already got the textbooks and have had them for about 9-10 years could someone give me a run down of what I will need just to make sure that I have them all and if any are likely to be out of date.
Thanks again
Josh
MAUW-oops
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Whats your plan Reply with quote

Hi.

If your interested Helicentre Aviation run free career seminars every month.

Couple of hours of videos and open Q&A followed by tours of the 5 types of helicopters there.

Free Tea and coffee.

Chat to the guys who have been where you are.

Yes I work for Helicentre as an Instructor but 3 years ago I had a PPL(H) and nothing else.

Max
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Wannabes All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: