Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Private & Personal Flying

Radio comms for private sites
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paddywak
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Radio comms for private sites Reply with quote

What radio procedures are normaly used when flying in class G airspasce for landing at/ taking off from private sites ?

Is it best to contact nearest ATC and inform them of your intentions etc.

Prior to take off would you contact ATC via telephone if out of radio range?

Thanks for replies in advance
haggishunter
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you are not required to talk to anyone in Class G. However if you are planning to enter/transit controlled airspace within 15mins of getting airbourne I would give them a call out of politness. It's good airmanship in my opinion.

If you are lifting and going banging around Class G then I would give a blind call on the nearest freq. whether it be a Radar/Approach or FIS. Even if ATC doesn't hear you, someone airbourne in your area might.

Happy flying.

"When the tough gets going, the tough eat haggis!"
paddywak
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks HH , I will er on the side of politeness
veeany

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the UK AIP

3.2.3 Common Frequency for Helicopter Departures
a. At locations having no ground radio facilities a VHF channel is available to assist departing helicopters.
b. Conditions of use are:
i. It shall only be used at locations having no radio facilities. If another VHF assignment is valid for that location, it must be
used even outside the normal operating hours;
ii. Transmissions shall occur only when helicopters are below 500 ft agl;
iii. Helicopters approaching a site should monitor the channel. Blind transmissions are not permitted.
c. Departing helicopters shall state:
i. 'To all stations';
ii. The callsign of the aircraft;
iii. The location either by name or by reference to a readily identifiable feature;
iv. The direction and height of the intended departure.
d. The frequency assigned is 122.950 MHz and shall be known as 'DEPCOM'.

3.2.4 Common VHF Frequency for Use at Aerodromes having no notified Ground Radio Frequency
a. At aerodromes having no notified ground radio frequency a VHF frequency is available to assist pilots to avoid potential
collisions between arriving and departing aircraft. Pilots may use this frequency to broadcast their intentions for safety
purposes.

b. The frequency assigned is 135.475 MHz and is known as 'SAFETYCOM'.

c. The conditions of use are:
i. SAFETYCOM shall only be used at aerodromes having no notified ground radio frequency. If a VHF frequency is notified
for a location, that notified frequency must be used even outside the notified operating hours.

ii. Transmissions shall be made only within a maximum range of 10 nm of the aerodrome of intended landing, and below
2000 feet above the aerodrome elevation.

iii. SAFETYCOM shall only be used to transmit information regarding the pilot's intentions, and there should be no response,
except where the pilot of another aircraft also needs to transmit his intentions or, exceptionally, has information critical to
the safety of an aircraft in a condition of distress or urgency.

iv. Phraseology is to comply with the requirements of CAP 413 (Radiotelephony Manual) Chapter 4 Section 6.

v. SAFETYCOM is not to be used for the conduct of formation flights unless landing at or taking off from an aerodrome for
which no other frequency is notified and within the limits specified at sub para (ii).

vi. Pilots operating at aerodromes without a notified frequency are recommended to use SAFETYCOM, but its use is not
mandatory. However, if pilots choose to use it, they must make the transmissions listed in CAP 413 as 'essential'. It must
not be assumed that all other pilots in the vicinity are monitoring the frequency and, as at all other times, pilots must
maintain a good lookout.

vii. No air traffic service is associated with SAFETYCOM. Where an aerodrome lies within controlled airspace, pilots must
establish contact with the responsible air traffic services unit, and obtain clearance prior to entering controlled airspace.
viii. Information transmitted on SAFETYCOM confers no priority or right of way. Pilots shall comply with the Rules of the Air
Regulations, including the provisions in relation to avoiding aerial collisions.
d. Unless specifically approved by the CAA, SAFETYCOM is not to be used for special events as defined in CAP 403 (Flying
Displays and Special Events: A Guide to Safety and Administrative Arrangements). Frequencies for special events should
continue to be requested through existing channels.

http://www.ead.eurocontrol.int/eadbasic/pamslight-121689451D0E65A4FC6C180CBE0D452F/7FE5QZZF3FXUS/EN/AIP/GEN/EG_GEN_3_4_en_2010-09-23.pdf
paddywak
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank's Gary, as it turned out the wind aloft today was too strong for me to fly in the 22 with my limited experience so I opted for some auto's with an instructor instead. I'll try the hotels confined area when the wx is a little better, Shame really as the visibility was superb with few clouds. There is a rule in place to protect pilots and the aircraft / school where I sfh from, if the wind velocity is over 25kts aloft then the 22's dont fly with new pilots with low hours. Had I been rated for the 44 I would have been alowed to continue so i was a bit jealous of the 44's I saw leaving the circuit. Never mind spring is on it's way.
Cheers, Leigh
oi_martin
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not talking from any kind of experience here but could you use London Information to report letting down at the private in the absence of any ATC units in the area.
veeany

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could do, but it would be pot luck if it served any kind of purpose, especially if there is a published procedure and no one follows it because they think 'x' is better.
3Blades
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The frequency assigned is 122.950 MHz and shall be known as 'DEPCOM'.

Interesting post Gary, I am aware of SAFETYCOM but had never heard of DEPCOM. I've often encountered other helicopters in class G airspace taking off and landing at private sites in the UK not using the local airport frequencies. Luckily we have TAS on board which tends to flag them up as long as they use their Xpdr.

3B
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Private & Personal Flying All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: