Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Ground School

PPL Helicopter Ground Exams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhirlyGirl
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: PPL Helicopter Ground Exams Reply with quote

I am interested to know what other PPL(H) students think about their ground exams. So far I have got through 5 out of the 7 written exams and passed the RT practical, so I am nearly there, but I did find some harder than others. Currently I am studying the helicopter technical, which I am finding much more to take in than any the others. Probably becuase I am trying to read about 3 different books! After that I have navigation, but I have read that book once already so I just need to revise it. Anyway, any thoughts?

WhirlyGirl
James T Lowe

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the Meteorology exam the toughest - I'm not entirely sure why. I think I couldn't work out the logic behind some of the concepts of weather (in particular, frontal systems), so I struggled to commit the ideas to memory. Sad

That said, most of the exams are straightforward enough. I felt a complete twit sat in an office, next to a "controller" when doing the R/T practical - it was so unnatural!!

100% on Navigation - the PPL Confuser was at its most useful for that.
WhirlyGirl
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Meteorolgy Reply with quote

Hi James,

Actually I do agree with you - so far the Met has been the one I have achieved the lowest mark on, although I still passed so I guess I can't complain! Smile However, I seem to spending far longer trying to absorb the information in the Helicopter Technical books. Have you done this exam?

At what stage in your flying are you at? Have you though about posting on the "calling all rotorheads" thread in the "Torque Chat & Chill" forum? I'd be great to hear about your experiences!!

All the best,

WhirlyGirl
James T Lowe

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhirlyGirl,

Pleased to say all exams passed first time, about two and a half years ago! (I've taken your suggestion and posted to the "Calling all Rotorheads" page). If you want to read about my experiences when I was learning, I kept an online flying diary (I suppose that's now a "blog" isn't it?) here http://jamestlowe.users.btopenworld.com/flying.htm.

I seem to remember struggling initially with the technical one, but I spent some time on rainy days with instructors who went through lots of detail - one even allowed me to borrow notes from his CPL exams. Lack of "sample" questions didn't help my confidence beforehand, but the exam itself, as I recall, wasn't too tricky.

James.
WhirlyGirl
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Helicopter Technical Reply with quote

Hi James!

That's what I need - to spend time going over the technical! I think it helps to have someone explain it. I actually went on a course for the RT practical which helped a lot, and now I think I need to do that with the heli tec. The engineers were helpful at HeliAir, the offered to go through the helicopter in detail with me, but it's the aerodynamics stuff I am finding a lot to take in at the moment.

As I am planning to go onto ATPL someday I think I will also be borrowing the CPL(H) notes off my instructor! I read your post on "Calling All Rotorheads". I would also love to fly and A109. A Bell 222 would be even better!! Wink

WhirlyGirl
muffin
'Torquing Regularly
'Torquing Regularly

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whirlygirl

The best tech book on the subject I have ever found is "More Cyclic and Collective" by Shawn Coyle. It is written in very straightforward language. e mail me if you can't find a copy.
Thomas Coupling
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confuser Sad

I hate the thing.

What are the views of everyone concerning the use of the confuser prior to sitting ground exams?

Cheating or not?

Discuss

TC

GPS - No fix available Sad
WhirlyGirl
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:10 am    Post subject: Confuser Reply with quote

Are you referring to the book "Q & A for the PPL"? That's the one I have...

WhirlyGirl
Thomas Coupling
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh oh

Yup.

I can't understand why instructors (or the CAA for that matter) let studes loose with the PPL confuser.

The questions are almost identical to (in 80% they ARE the questions) the "real" exams. Why bother sitting it when all the candidate has to do is memorise the answers?

The confuser wont help understanding a question, and as sure as hell, the confuser is a bugger to get at in flight Cool

GPS - No fix available Sad
James T Lowe

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, my instructor recommended the Confuser, but I have to say, I didn't find it that helpful for the learning part. I prefered to learn through reading - Mr Thom's books, mostly - then check my understanding by taking effectively 'mock' exams in the confuser.

The exception was for the navigation. I don't quite know why, but Thom just confused me. And, confusingly, the confuser unconfused my confusion. Confused? Wink The confuser's example questions and answers showing the detailed working really helped me work out what was going on!

I think it's a useful tool to confirm understanding; but as with any form of mock exam, learning answers "parrot fashion" only helps the passing of a real exam, rather than any long term application of the knowledge. IYSWIM.
WhirlyGirl
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Confuser Reply with quote

Well, I have to say, I have thoroughly read all the PPL books, and I think that using the confuser alone would be a complete waste of time as it doesn't teach you anything at all. You are simply memorising the answers and are likely to forget everything after the exam has been passed.

However, after I read the Thom books and the AFE series, and made notes as I went along so that I felt confident and understood what I was doing, I admit I did have a go at some of the papers from the confuser. The fact that I used them as mock exams and passed them all first time just confirmed to me that I had read the books properly and was ready to do the exams.

I did not even look at the confuser before I had started studying - that I feel would have been not so much "cheating" but being a little bit lazy!! Since I plan to go onto my ATPL after this I want to learn everything properly first time!

WhirlyGirl
Catwoman
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: confuser Reply with quote

Whirlygirl is fastidious about her learning - she is very keen to get her licence and she will will be an excellent pilot. Between her and Whirlyguy, they will make an excellent team!
whirlygig
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The exam that I found most difficult was the flight planning and performance since it seemed to be a "catch-all" subject; a repository for every topic that didn't neatly fit into any of the other subjects. It was the last exam that I did and, as I did a full-time course for my PPL and was ready to do the skills test, I had to sit the exam with only two nights revision. Still managed to pass though!!

With regards to above comments on The PPL Confuser; I think some people are talking at cross-purposes here. There are two books available with "practice" questions; The PPL Confuser and Q&A for the Private Pilots Licence.

Personally, I thought the Q&A book to be the better since the standard of question was harder than the actual exams whereas the COnfuser lulled one into a false sense of security.

Cheers

Whirlygig[/code]
WhirlyGirl
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: Flight Planning Reply with quote

Whirlygig wrote:
The exam that I found most difficult was the flight planning and performance since it seemed to be a "catch-all" subject

Flight planning was actually the first one I did! I had read all the other books while my hubby was doing his flying, and by the time I finsihed reading it I just decided to have a go at it! It was ok, but there was an awful lot of fixed wing stuff in the one I sat, which didn't seem particulary fair since I've never flown a fixed wing in my life! However, I'd just drummed it all in and managed to get a good mark anyway.

Whirlygig wrote:
I thought the Q&A book to be the better since the standard of question was harder than the actual exams whereas the COnfuser lulled one into a false sense of security

I agree! I found that book quite good, as I had done all the study and revision and it just make me aware of which topics I was not so sure on. I certainly didn't use it as a way to memorise the questions!!

How long ago was it that you got your licence Whirlygig? I hope to get mine before next summer all being well.

WhirlyGirl Cool
PilotWolf
H Addict
H Addict

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well being an FAA type... all the actual questions are published for the exams.

But there are hundreds of questions in the bank which are randomly selected when you sit the nicely computerised exams. I thinkits easier to learn the subject rather than trying to learn the answers - especially as some of the questions are very similar but with different answers.

Having said that if you do mange to pass the exams by learning the questions surely you would be caught out in the oral part of the checkride?

Similarly what is the difference between something like the confuser and the feedback obtained on the atpl courses?

PW
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Ground School All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: