Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Flight Safety

Instructor Walks Into Helicopter Blades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heli-Ops
H Addict
H Addict

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:53 am    Post subject: Instructor Walks Into Helicopter Blades Reply with quote

Pilot walks into chopper blade

04oct05

A 58-year-old Queensland helicopter instructor is in a serious condition after walking into a slowly revolving rotor blade.

The pilot ??? with more than 30 years experience ??? works at Becker Helicopters which is based at the Sunshine Coast Airport at Maroochydore.
He had just completed a training flight in the two-seat Hughes 300 chopper when the accident happened at 9.20am (AEST) today.

Police said he had shutdown the chopper, removed his helmet and was walking away when he was hit on the head by the slow moving main blades.

The pilot received a compound fracture to the skull and was rushed by the Energex Community Rescue Helicopter to the Royal Brisbane Hospital in a serious condition.

Becker Helicopters chief executive Jan Becker said the man was from the Sunshine Coast and had worked at the company for three years.

"It's just one of those things," she said.

Mrs Becker said staff and trainees were receiving counselling.

Energex pilot John Hodges said the blades were moving between 20 and 30 revolutions a minute when the accident occurred.

"He was lucky the blades were moving relatively slow," he said.

"Had they been going at full speed it would have been all over for him."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Name
Flying Foxy
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy must be really tall. I'm 6'3" and the drooping blades are a good distance above my head - even at 30 rpm I'd suggest they would still be higher than at rest - I don't think there's a low skid version of this machine.. Hope he's ok.

FF

Catwoman
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He may have walked away on to upward sloping ground! Sad

CW

xx
Heli-Ops
H Addict
H Addict

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chopper pilot floored by spinning rotor
05-10-2005

A HELICOPTER pilot was left with critical head injuries after he walked into an overhead rotor blade on the Sunshine Coast yesterday.

Flight instructor Lester Chambers, 58, had just landed the Hughes 300 helicopter at the Sunshine Coast Airport at Mudjimba when the accident happened.

Intensive care paramedic Tony Smith said Mr Chambers received serious "pretty significant" head injuries, including a compound fracture of the skull.

Seconds before the accident, another employee reportedly saw Mr Chambers remove his helmet. The blades were believed to have been spinning at about 20 rotations a minute when Mr Chambers was struck.

Despite his horrific injuries, Mr Chambers was able to communicate with paramedics during his emergency flight to Brisbane.

By the time the Energex Rescue Helicopter arrived at the Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital, the critically ill Mr Chambers had lost consciousness.

A hospital spokeswoman said Mr Chambers had undergone surgery and was in the intensive care unit last night.

Mr Chambers had just celebrated flying 11,000 hours and was a senior grade 1 flight instructor.
He had recently accepted a dream job and had been preparing to go overseas to work with the Australian Federal Police in the Solomon Islands.

Paramedics were on scene within three minutes. The Energex Community Rescue Helicopter is based nearby.

Mr Chambers's son was on his way from Perth.

Police Inspector Tony Lewis said it was likely the Civil Aviation Safety Authority would take charge of the investigation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Name
Flying Foxy
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I got to my (MY!! Ha!) 300 yesterday, as I did the walk around, I reached up to see just where the blades rest and I had to use an extended arm (it comes as one of a pair with the FF 6'3" Man Model) and with that above me, the flat of my palm touches the tip of the blade.

After returning to the airport later on, I met my instructor by the heli (I'd dropped him off to do a solo circuit if you are following my 5th Oct. exploits in another thread) and recounted this accident to him. He asked me to pull the blade down (I have the height advantage here) and he took it, then sprang it back in the air and due to the articulated head, the other blades all pivoted about and the nearest one then flapped quite deep down towards us.

CW, this instructor was at an airport so the sloping ground is ruled out - I did wonder for a minute about this and re-read the article to check where he was at the time.

My man suggested a gust of wind and the resultant blade sail which with a lift on the opposite side would produce the dip on the pilot's side and the unfortunate rotor-cranial impact that ensued. Seems quite a likely scenario.

FF

Last edited by Flying Foxy on Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
northernhero
'Torquing Regularly
'Torquing Regularly

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

certainly can happen with blade sailing on a 300 (H269 if you are picky!) another interesting one is to land with the starboard side into wind on a windy day and see how long it takes the blades to stop.

tip, do this from the office with a brew, the tail blades go into autorotation my record is 5 mins!
Flying Foxy
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NH,

I'm not allowed to leave the vicinity of the helicopter until the blades stop!

Perhaps you could do this as a trick on a tyro and tell 'em to wait until that event occurs - and the kettle's on...

FF

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Flight Safety All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: