Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Helicopter Photography

WINNERS OF THE 2006 Photo Competition Announced Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heli-Ops
H Addict
H Addict

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: WINNERS OF THE 2006 Photo Competition Announced Reply with quote

Well after some long hours looking over the hundreds of entries we had in the 2006 photo competition we have finally decided on the top three from each section.

I want to say a big thanks to everyone who entered the photo comp. The standard of entries was very high and we have some awesomely talented photographers here on the forum. So how about joining me and congratulating those who won their respective sections, and remember get your camera out and start shooting images for the 2007 competition.

Because we dont know who shot each of the below images we would like to ask the winners to post a little something about the image as well as contacting me via PM so we can get your prizes to you.

Artistic Section.

FIRST PLACE:

SECOND PLACE:

THIRD PLACE:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Military Section:

FIRST PLACE:

SECOND PLACE:

THIRD PLACE:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Civillian Section:

FIRST PLACE:

SECOND PLACE:

THIRD PLACE:

anuva brilyant mynd rooind buy tha publick ejakayshun sistum
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Name
Copterfan
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic photo's! How on Earth did you choose between them? Well up the usual high standards and superb quality, a great reflection on the site Ned, if you'll pardon the pun? Wink Congratulations to the worthy winners. Bravo!

Copterfan. Cool
blme
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Excellent Helicopter Photographs Reply with quote

Hi All,

The quality gets better and better.

Well done everybody.

blme
Heli-Ops
H Addict
H Addict

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon,

Have to agree, quality keeps getting better and better. Lets see what the entries for the 2007 edition bring.

Ned

anuva brilyant mynd rooind buy tha publick ejakayshun sistum
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Name
Aegean_Hawk
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

greece.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: WINNERS OF THE 2006 Photo Competition Announced Reply with quote

Heli-Ops wrote:
Well after some long hours looking over the hundreds of entries we had in the 2006 photo competition we have finally decided on the top three from each section.

I want to say a big thanks to everyone who entered the photo comp. The standard of entries was very high and we have some awesomely talented photographers here on the forum. So how about joining me and congratulating those who won their respective sections, and remember get your camera out and start shooting images for the 2007 competition.

Because we dont know who shot each of the below images we would like to ask the winners to post a little something about the image as well as contacting me via PM so we can get your prizes to you.

Artistic Section.

FIRST PLACE:

Hi to everyone out there!

As the person behind the lens when the above specific image was shot, I would like to thank all of you and the judges for voting in favor of this. A special thank you goes to Ned for organizing the whole event at first place and for giving a special place to my image.

Seeing my image competing next to so many wonderful pictures taken by fellow photographers from all around the world with whom we all share a true love on helicopters is a special feeling by itself. Obviously, I feel so honored by your decision, but I have to say that looking back again and again and surfing through all this competition's images there is no doubt I feel impressed by the quality of many pictures submitted by fellow hover lovers! More than often there were cases when I thought "wow, I wish I had taken this image" ! So, my hat's off to all of you Ladies and Gents !!!

For people like myself and some of you who are lucky enough to have their opportunities to ride next to these marvelous flying carpets, we all know that it's not just the photographer who makes a great image, it's the whole universe that works together to make it happen.

For every single image of aviation I am proud of, like the one above, I am more than indebted to the pilots who got me up there, at the right place, on the right moment and took care of every little detail, leaving me nothing else but pushing a button, so I can land and claim a great shot. But THEY ARE who make great images! We just strap ourselves up there, sitting next to them and record in our slides (then) and our cards (today) their own moments of glory, of hard work, of flying expertise, of ultimate dedication and sound aviation judgement. I feel always deep respect to my chase and subject pilots cause my images reflect their own special capabilities in putting my vision to reality through a finely tuned aerial ballet.

Responding to Ned's request for revealing some backstage info, this image depicts an AH-64A Apache helicopter of the 1st Attack Helicopter Battalion of the Hellenic Army Aviation. It was taken in northwest Greece during an exercise of 1st ATHB. Driving this awesome Lady during this aerial shooting is a very good friend of mine, Captain George Melissovas, a gifted aviator (sometimes I believe he should be a collibri in his previous life!) and an AH-64A Instructor Pilot & Evaluator who is currently preparing his transition to the AH-64D Longbow. For this shooting I asked "Shadow" (his nickname) to take off a bit earlier than originally scheduled (his Flight was participating in a night simulated assault) so I could take this specific image I have envisioned minutes earlier. We had to make really quick, cause the sun was about to set very soon. I jumped in a Huey and we took-off together, leaving the rest of his Flight ships to the ground for their planned take-off after sunset. We hurried up to be able to get advantage of sun's last glow before sunset. When we placed ourselves in the spot, it turned out that we had less than a minute before the sun disappeared behind those clouds you can see in the distance. Soon thereafter, I realized that had we taken-off just a couple of minutes latter, we would never be able to take this image with the sun visible. Definetely, scattered clouds made for more drama in this image and gave depth of field to a normally mono-dimensional set-up.

Well, hope this bit of info will give you a better understanding of the story behing this image. Once again, I would like to thank Ned for giving this opportunity to us all to express our artistic views on what we all love most: HELICOPTERS !!!

I believe this competition works as a true inspiration for all of us and pushes us to grasp a camera and record these marvelous flying machines. Flying pieces of art that when you find yourslef strapped in one of them, they make you think:

WOW, Flying Is Human, HOVERING IS DIVINE !!! Wink

Thank you all,

Antonios Tsagaratos
Greece
DarrenBe
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I can't believe one of my pictures is one of the winners, considering the quality of all the entries.

I'm the person who took the picture of the Hind, that has been placed second in the military section.

This particular Mil 24 Hind (7335) is from the Czech airforce and was displaying at the annual airshow at RAF Leuchars (Fife, Scotland) in Sep 2006. Its a must attend event for my younger brother and myself and last year we were blessed with a stunning display line-up and beautiful weather.

This picture was captured during its display routine and I have to say this was one of the best ever helicopter displays I've ever seen. Despite being such a large and heavy helicopter, it was surprisingly agile. I think this particular shot, shows what a menacing machine it is - I certainly wouldn't want to be on the receving end of one!

There is a sweet irony when taking pictures of such a stunning display - most of it is seen through the camera viewfinder. This was also my first airshow, where I used my recently acquired DSLR setup - Canon 350D and Sigma 50-500mm lens.

Its not often I get to photograph military helicopters, however working at Aberdeen airport, I get plenty of practice photographing Super Pumas, 225s, S92, 214 and the occasionaly S61.

A huge thanks to Ned and the Helitorque team for this competition.

Kind Regards

Darren Beaumont
Thor160
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... Shocked
the_don
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:58 am    Post subject: 2nd Place - Civil Section Reply with quote

Hi All,

Like the others I am shocked but very excited to be one of the winners.

First let me say a GIANT thank you to the event coordinators and of course everyone who voted and all the other participants.

As for my photo:

I am a commercial helicopter pilot and happened to be in the area flying an MD500D doing aerial application of herbicide on the power line right of ways. This shot was taken with my trusty Sony DSC-W100 that is ALWAYS in my flightsuit pocket. Early summer is a special time of year and this particular morning was no exception. Captured just after dawn, with dew still dripping from the blades at Portsmouth Regional Airport (KPMH) located in Southern, Ohio.

The operator of this very unique MD500D & aerial saw combination is Aerial Solutions and they primarily do power line right of way trimming.

I can tell you that seeing this machine static is impressive enough but when it is in action it truly is a sight to behold. Steady nerves, intense concentration, and superior airmanship are all required to be an aerial saw pilot. The pilots at Aerial Solutions have my utmost respect.

Again, let me close by saying THANK YOU to everyone! And congratulations to all the other photographers...amazing work!

Don Sieburg - Pilot
Helicopter Minit-Men
Columbus, Ohio
gusmagoo
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Video of Heli saw!!!! Reply with quote

I recently stumbled upon a video of this outfit at work!!!! find it here....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMQgt5YiD0w

Its amazing, and looks highly dangerous....

Great photos by the way, all of them....
Intrepid
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

canada.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Brilliant!! Excellent photo's and congrats to all the winners!!
Vaqueroaero
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well what can I say?

I never saw this one coming! A big thanks to judges for spending the time going through the pictures - and for voting me in.

As for the picture:

I will admit that finding myself among the winners is somewhat bitter sweet as the guy who was flying the R22 in the picture was killed when the R44 he was flying crashed at the end of last year. So I suppose this is a fitting tribute to him.

The picture was taken in Southern California, just north of San Diego in the early morning. I was instructing at a school there and had a student ready for his commercial ride. He asked if we could go out and if I would teach him some techniques for doing photo shoots. I agreed so grabbed my camera - a simple Casio QV40 ( I think). Anyway as we were heading out Peter Simpson asked if he could come with us and if I would take some aerials of him in his 'baby' as he called it. He had just purchased it from the flight school where we both worked and it had a 100 hours or so left on it before it was due for a rebuild. It was his pride and joy.

We took off and the clouds and lighting we spectacular to say the least. I took over 100 photos of him that morning (new camera!) and I posted what I considered to be the best ones.

Congrats to all the other winners. The standard of pictures was very good. Always keep that camera handy! You never know when you might have a prize winning shot!
Mikester
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: WINNERS OF THE 2006 Photo Competition Announced Reply with quote

[quote="Heli-Ops"]THIRD PLACE:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello all!

First of all I would like to thank the jury for awarding me the 3rd prize in the Military Catergory, I am very pleased with it!

This Photo was taken on Kesckemét in Hungary during an Air Show held there every two years. The Mil Mi8/17 (forgive me as I always forget the difference between them) was flying quite low and doing, a for me endless paradrop, where one after the other parachutist was dropping.

The photo was shot with a Canon 1Ds and a Canon EF 500 f/4 L IS USM combined with a Canon EF 1.4x converter handheld on 1/250 sec. exposure.

Again many thanks for winning this prize!

Looking forward to the 2007 season!

Kind regards,

Michael van der Mee
www.touchdown-aviation.com
212fire
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

canada.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been trying to put up a post with my picture, but can't seem to figure out how to attach the photo with the post.
My picture is the one of the Bell 407 on the snow Knob Heli-skiing in the Monahee Mountains of British Columbia, Canada, was taken on a run in which we wanted to ski many times, we didnt think there was a place to land until we looked closer and found the mushroom.
It was also my first day back on a snow board in 10 years.
Thanks for the vote.

Cody Marsh

HeliOps - Pic Added

Last edited by 212fire on Sat May 26, 2007 3:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Bagswinger
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

canada.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow!!! What an honour!
I am very pleased with the judges decision on all their choices for this year's contest.
while waiting for crews that were working in the valley below, I would land high up on a ridge so that I could see what weather was coming at us in case I needed to pull every one out early. at this point I took my Camera out to look for any photo opportunities. Thanks to a little bit of wind, I was able to capture some interesting winter photos.

Congratulations to all.
Shawn Evans

HawkOnline
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

The photos for this competittion were incredibly beautiful. I am as surprised as the others, but pleased at the same time.

I have the honor of my submission "Fire & Ice in Turkey", being chosen as first place (Military category) and certainly had no idea it would become one of the finalists, much less a first place winner. The other photos were incredible.
As the title implies, the photo was taken in Turkey, and the Blackhawk's in the photo are Turkish (Jandarma) aircraft. Unfortunately, there is not much more information to be given, or worth being shared.
Congratulations to the other winners, your photos are beautiful as well. The many photos that didn't make it to this post is amazing, considering the quality of them all.
I don't envy the jobs the judges had, and I venture to say that the 2007 contest will be even harder.
Thanks again, Ned for this site, and your awesome magazines.

Instructor Pilot / Instrument Flight Examiner
UH-60A/L/M
C-12C/D
RC-12 D/H
DHC-7 (RC-7B)

www.ArmyFixedWing.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Helicopter Photography All times are GMT

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: