Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Flight Dynamics

Turn Cooridnator
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WilliamW
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Turn Cooridnator Reply with quote

I have a rather inane question that has popped up at my flight school in the past few days related to the operation of a turn coordinator.

We all know that gyroscopes operate on the principles of rigidity in space and gyroscopic precession, and our gyroscopic instruments make good use of those to indicate some very useful things. The question that has come up is whether the turn coordinator operates on the principle of rigidity, precession, or both?

No one is arguing that it operates on rigidity alone, but neither the 'precession-alone' camp nor the 'both' camp can find sufficient documentation to silence the other. I was hoping someone here would have some good references at their disposal to settle this question, otherwise I will start emailing some manufactures and hope one of them takes pity and replies.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
mastercylinder
'Torquing Regularly
'Torquing Regularly

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my view, and based on quite a few instrument rating ground traps, its precession that is the major factor in a turn coordinator. As you turn, the gyro precesses against a spring. If the turn continues, the precession continues to cause the gyro to try to topple and the spring keeps that from happening...the force on the spring is where the signal comes from for the indicator. When the turn stops, the spring returns the gyro to its normal orientation and the precession force returns to zero...when theres no tension on the spring, the turn coordination needle returns to centre.

Thats my quick and dirty...haven't referred to my notes...just took a pluck at it. I'll see if I can find the actual notes which might further clarify.

MC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Flight Dynamics All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: