Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Wannabes

gettin out of the army, finance/gi bill questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
freestyle_6981
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: gettin out of the army, finance/gi bill questions Reply with quote

I am hoping someone on here can help me. I am currently in Iraq with the US Army, I am an MP. My 5 year active duty enlistment is up when we get home in the "October," time frame. I am going to try to get into flight school after I get back. I have searched and searched, and written tons of e mails with no good responses yet. I am trying to find out if my GI Bill will help me, and where I can get proof of it doing so. I know the school has to be part 141 and VA approved. The rumors I have heard are that it will help with the private, only a little, and will pay 60% of the commercial, instrument, and instructor licenses. Any help here????? or anyone know anyone that can help me????? Thanks in advance.

- Sgt Gardner, 59TH MP CO. Baghdad Iraq
Pogue
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: VA Reply with quote

OK, I'm just starting on my CFI with VA, so I can help a little. Yes, the school must be 141 and VA approved. Yes, they will reimburse 60% up to 120% of the minimum hours. No, they will not help even a little bit for Private. Plan on the payments lagging about 3 months. Once they start you'll get them every month, but that's about how long the processing takes. What part of the country are you planning on moving to when you get back from the sandbox?
freestyle_6981
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I am stationed in Colorado Spring and my wifes family lives there so I was thinking there, as for the free rent during school....but. I was also looking at Oregon for Hillsboro also. All depends I suppose, and we are willing to relocate. So does the VA give you a max. per month, or do they give you the whole 60% chunk in one. And is that using up your GI Bill? Thanks for answering these q's, as it is hard to find someone in mine and your situations.

- Jason
Pogue
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They give you the whole 60%. You will see talk about limits around $1000 a month, but that applies to college, not flight training. It does count against your eligibility, but I'm not sure how they convert that - whether it's month to month or some pro rated $ to month. Some things to know:
-Get your eligibility paperwork with the VA done as soon as possible, it takes about a month to process.
-You must have a 2nd Class medical before you start taking any course you will bet reimbursed for, so just get that up front.
-As you know, the school must be 141 - don't accept "We're working on it", Silver State was notorious for that, and I've heard of other schools doing it.
-Expect to spend $15000 on your private once you factor in books, exams, equipment,etc.
- Remember that 3 month lag in VA money, if you go to class full time you'll have finished Instrument by the time you see the first check.
-You will have to be "dual enrolled" in instrument and commercial for the VA to pay for commercial. Any school that works with VA will know this.
- Given the high density altitude at Colorado Springs you would probably be flying an 300. Nice birds, but they cost about $40 an hour more than an R22. At lower density altitudes most (not all, by any means) training is in R22's for that reason. I'm paying $215/hr for dual time in R22 in the Phoenix area just for a reference point.
- You can take private in a part 61 school then move to a 141 school. There may be cost advantages to doing it that way - maybe there's a 61 school nearby so you can stay with family but you'll need to transfer for the 141 school. Just a thought.
- Research you schools thoroughly - I'm very pleased with Quantum in Ariziona (http://www.quantumhelicopters.com) but there are plenty of good schools.

Also, more that you ever wanted to know about VA flight training requirements can be found at:
http://www.warms.vba.va.gov/admin22/m22_4/part09/ch04.doc
freestyle_6981
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man...thanks a million for this great info. i should have that amount saved up for the private when i get back from iraq. i will start on all the paperwork as soon as i can. good advise also about the helo hourly costs. i will keep lookin around and use you advise to help out. good lookin out!!!

- jason
flymatter
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a late reply so I do not if you will get this. Here is something to research. There are a few instructors that will fly you for free. That is all you pay for is the plane. That is for fixed wing. They are trying to build up hours. Check w/ an Army flight company and ask if there are any CFI's, then pop the question.
stealth_jared555
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Sergeant,

I am also on active duty, starting up the flight training process. My buddy and I are dropping WOFT packets at the same time. While we are playing the game with that, we are also taking civilian flight training nearby. There is a community college near where I am stationed that has the ground school portion as a class. We are only paying roughly $350 for it, which will be reimbursed by GoArmyEd. That is one route you can take without dipping into the MGIB. And I can also confirm that the Bill cannot be applied to the PPL(H) only for the higher ratings, in which I was told would only reimburse 60%.

Hope that helps a little more. Off topic now, I have a friend who recently deployed to Baghdad from Fort Carson. I cannot recall his unit off the top of my head, but I will check with him.

Take care!
-SPC Jared Benes
freestyle_6981
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like fun for you guys. I hope it works out well for you.

The ground training at the college I have heard of. I will have to look into that. Thanks for the tip.

Let me know how your packet process goes, and how the ground schools working out. I am going to get a lot more information when I get home in September, I will try to keep it updated here in case someone else like us comes along.

- Jason
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Wannabes All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: