HeliTorque Forum Index » Wannabes

training times Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhirlyGirl
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're chilly in the R22, put on an immersion suit - that will be sure to turn it into a sauna!

Yes the Pyrenees were absolutely stunning. As you can tell, we're back... you'll hear the full story as I have time to post it. The first evening has been updated on the Luchon thread. Smile

And yes, it is true I was looking after WS in the cockpit, but he and a fellow student rescued me from being run over by a French manic driver in Limoges Thumbs Up

Sarah
Jen
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logan wrote:
im going to move this thread to a post on sunglasses! what works the best and why! (sizes and tints)

Well, they have to make you look really cool. That's the most important thing Wink
PilotWolf
H Addict
H Addict

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jen wrote:
Logan wrote:
im going to move this thread to a post on sunglasses! what works the best and why! (sizes and tints)

Well, they have to make you look really cool. That's the most important thing Wink

Well you d never catch me wearing Tom Cruise aviator style shades... Cool

W.
Jen
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just the white uniform, eh? Wink
PilotWolf
H Addict
H Addict

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you insist! Embarassed

W.
Logan
H Addict
H Addict

canada.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha do the aviators just look silly? Or do they actually perform when it comes down to flying on bright snowy days? My class 1 medical says ill need to wear glasses, a touch short of 20/20, so theyll need to be prescription! Unless i jsut decide to use a helmet!
Jen
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm certainly not wearing aviators in this photo. Embarassed Laughing http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k166/jen_flip/me-and-G-WZ.jpg
WindSwept
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any sunglasses would do i say, WG wears just normal sunglasses i think and she seems to take them off when the sun goes away due to them being abit too dark to see whats going on inside.

I only ever wear polarised sunglasses which you definatly need if you go skiing, they are excellent, they have a slight tint but no where near as much as standard sunglasses, which means you can see pretty much as good as not having any on, its only in the darkest rooms that you need to take them off. They work by cutting out light which approaches your eyes at an angle, meaning they cut out a huge proportion of glare and reflection. Ideal when light bounces of snow!

If its sunny out and i put them on i wont take them off unless the sun goes away for a signifcant period of time, i can happily see everything in the cockpit with them on even if theres no sun.

Also you don't really need 'flying specific' sunglasses. Alternativly, get a helmet instead of a headset, consider it an investment as you've got headset, head protection and sunglasses all in one!
Jen
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly, my instructor won't let me wear them for autorotations as apparently they can cause a shadow on the ground that makes it hard to judge distances.
Logan
H Addict
H Addict

canada.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is very interesting! maybe going in the direction of a helmet might be best then, quick change between tint and a clear lens! The other option could always be buying some transition lenses? I have to wear glasses unfortunately! even though someone with 20/20 could put on my glasses and see just as well, my prescription might as well be clear! Does anyone use transition lenses on here? And roughly how much do they cost?
WindSwept
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logan wrote:
that is very interesting! maybe going in the direction of a helmet might be best then, quick change between tint and a clear lens! The other option could always be buying some transition lenses? I have to wear glasses unfortunately! even though someone with 20/20 could put on my glasses and see just as well, my prescription might as well be clear! Does anyone use transition lenses on here? And roughly how much do they cost?

Transitions it depends i guess, they cost more than polarised and polarised cost more than standard. My WileyX's were just over 100 with a set of clear lenses and a set of polarised and that was shopping around alot.

Im liking the helmet idea still, so easy to have headset and sunglasses and protection all built in.
Logan
H Addict
H Addict

canada.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree! if you think about it, $200 (can) for a decent set of glasses, sunglasses we will say about the same, head set (decent one) $800ish, your looking at $1200 which is a good starter helmet, a little bit more $ and thats an alpha eagle!
WindSwept
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly! so ontop of the head protection, headset (basic headset but you get even better noise cancelation due to it being in a helmet), sunglasses, your also getting something that no matter what job you do will be more than adequate, if you go long lining, or crop spraying or work ems you won't need to get a helmet ontop of the headset you bought when you started out.

So i guess its an investment, down sides, you might look silly sat next to your instructor in a helmet (unless you get the pleasure of sitting next to WG sweating it out in a full immersion suit *wink*) and costs.

I have a question now for those techincally minded of you. I was looking at headsets/helmets earlier on and it seems like theres a million and one options that they don't explain such as... high impedance, low impedance, what type of mic, what type of plug.

I can see it being very easy to buy something that doesn't work!
Logan
H Addict
H Addict

canada.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha so true, im going to keep a good watch on this thread because thats the #1 thing stopping me from buying a helmet!
WindSwept
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logan wrote:
haha so true, im going to keep a good watch on this thread because thats the #1 thing stopping me from buying a helmet!

Similar, the main thing stopping me buy either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Wannabes All times are GMT

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: