Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » The Bar

Verification of facts, please help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwhitson
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:27 am    Post subject: Verification of facts, please help Reply with quote

I know a man, whom I'm related to that has made some really lavish claims. My father and I both are veterans. This is why its so hurtful and disturbing to me. I'm very close to this man, but he won't just be a man and admit to whatever he did in Vietnam.

So, here's his assertion.
In the mid 60s a "top secret" group of individuals was formed to test, fly, evaluate and perform on the Hughes Cobra gunship. This was with the USAF. OK, I'm USAF, and that's why I'm offended. "He says that while in boot camp at LAFB, he was hand picked and given a warrant officer commision to fly the Cobra. "Back then, no one knew alot about it and it looked like a spaceship, the Army and Air Force were trying to decide who would get it. We started out in those lil Bell helos that you see on MASH and trained with those. I received my capt. promotion when I got to Nam and began flying missions. We flew from back to HI, AK, and CA continually for refitting and remodifying. We were supported via the KC135. (OK I was a hydr troop on KC135 so I'm going WTF???..no way.) "

So that's basically the foundation, I've heard all kinds of stories about its the only helo that can do a loop and so on. I've asked for technical details and he says that its either classified or he can't remember that far back. My mom once dug in his files and found out that he was a crew chief on the Huey and never made it Vietnam but was stationed in the Phillipines.

I honestly don't believe this to be true, but I'd like some hard data, a link or anything that could help me. Again, it probably doesn't matter and if he is so close to me I should let sleeping dogs lie, but I feel its disrespectful to all of us who have served in whatever capacity.

Or does anyone know some obvious questions I could throw his way that he should be able to answer no problem?

Thanks again

Gary A. Whitson, Ssgt (ret)
507ARW/507AMXS
6/02-6/08
Tinker AFB, OK
AFSC 2A655
Ascend_Charlie
H Addict
H Addict

australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if he says that Hughes made the Cobra, he has lost credibility straight away.

It is the Bell Huey Cobra, made from a lot of Huey parts and a few new bits. There is nothing "classified" about the Cobra, so he is avoiding the questions.
gwhitson
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Acutally I think that was my mistake..lol. I was just typing of the top of my head, but then again, he may have mentioned it. Thanks for the reply though. Do you know if the USAF ever took a look at the Cobra? I know we don't really specialize in CAS, other than maybe the A-10 but that was orginally for tank killing. I also question whether a prototype was built for the AF to test out.

Thanks again.
Ascend_Charlie
H Addict
H Addict

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google it up, and you will see that the initial tests and trials were for the US Army, and later the Marines took them and made their own version, the Sea Cobra.

No mention of the air force, and they don't seem to have been involved in the trials either, which happened between 1962 and 1965.

And if you google up helicopter loop you will see some great aerobatics from BO 105s, but no Cobras.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » The Bar All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: