Usergroups
Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » The Bar

Winter Ops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
veeany

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Winter Ops Reply with quote

Todays Good advice

Don't

Live in a county that doesn't do snow !
Run out of heating oil on the morning that the county decides it doesn't do snow, because your heating oil supplier can't be arse to answer the phone and when they do they give you and estimated delivery date of 3 weeks hence.

Go out to 'obtain' some aviation quality heating oil that morning, in a Peugeot with a knackered clutch.
Spend 15 minutes tying to get more than 100yds from your house in the Peugeot.
During that fifteen minute period contemplate continuing with your mission while you create a frozen road surface with your now almost slick tyres (confirmed by burning rubber smell).
Spend another half an hour driving to a location 3 miles away that no one else has been stupid enough to try and drive to that day.

Open the door to the 'Heating Oil' supply to discover that the last muppet who used it had no idea of the concept of Off when it related to fuel drains.
Spend half an hour trying to muck out the floor of the now contaminated heating oil supply which is covered in smelly flammable fluid.

Decant just enough 'Heating Oil' to make the front of your car very light and reverse the route with a complete lack of steering.
Spend 15 minutes going 200 yards because you understand the concept of

Inertia
Impact
Insurance
The sign in front of you naming the village where you live that would look odd with a Peugeot shaped hole in it.
The ABS fault warning you now have warning you of your impending doom.
The icy surface you created leaving the village an hour earlier.

Spend 15 seconds of terror as you slide down the hill towards your house where all the local kids are playing snowballs in the street, steering and brakes at this point pretty qualify as 'Installed' only.

Spend an hour trying to put 90 litres of 'Aviation Quality' heating oil into the empty tank outside your house, which is covered in snow. [Involves a ladder which ALWAYS a bad move in snow].

Spend a further hour 'engineering' the boiler which now only understands the concept of fresh air which does not traditionally burn on its own.

Spend another hour redoing the earlier route to return Jerry Cans and refill two of them, one of which now has a dodgy lid seal.

Return to the now slight better approach to the village and brake gently to avoid the 4x4 thats coming up the hill.

Realise that the metallic bang you just heard was the result of the previously mentioned Jerry Can with the dodgy lid falling over.
Hope the lid remains intact, the sound of gushing liquid indicates it didn;t, so hoping was futile.

Spend another hour trying to rid the car of the the esitmated 10 litres of 'Aviation Quality' heating oil that is now under the back seat.

However Do

Decide that using the diesel driven pump is a bad idea due to the quantity of fluid and vapour in the afrorementioned supply (shed).
Use your handbrake as a steering aid.
Abandon the car in the road into the village and carry the fuel cans the rest of the way, because you need thr exercise.

And some people think the glass is half full !

I obviously have no idea who this happened to and am just passing on the good advice !
JeffHall
'Torquing Regularly
'Torquing Regularly

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Aviation Quality Heating Oil... Reply with quote

Gary

Its a damn shame 'they' don't live in the midlands, I reckon where I'm working, we dispose of maybe a few thousand litres of premium quality aviation heating oil every few weeks!!

The test department runs the stuff in closed loop rigs, it apparently degrades to the point where it needs to be replaced, at one point last yr one of the tests I was working was getting through maybe 2-300Litres a day! I'm damn sure it'd have been ok in a burner.

As far as I know my client pays for someone to take it away and recycle it, problem is we mix water and all manner of other liquids in with it so it no doubt reduces its value somewhat.

Could you have flown some in with an A109? Shocked

Jeff
HeliCraig
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GS,

Feel free to relate to whoever this said soul was that their local supplier of heating fuel is no worse than mine. 3 weeks to pop round with some!

We however, have an LPG tank as opposed to oil, somewhat more difficult to acquire!

HC.
PilotWolf
H Addict
H Addict

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some advantages of living in a company provided house with enough water, fuel oil and our own gensets to sustain life for about 3 months Smile

No yet found the rum store though...

W.
animalsticks
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

next time set the french pile of scrap on fire and keep warm that way Very Happy
If it moves i want a go
HeliCraig
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

animalsticks wrote:
next time set the french pile of scrap on fire and keep warm that way Very Happy

What He Said.

Use a proper vehicle; IE: one made in AnimalSticks home town!
animalsticks
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeliCraig wrote:
one made in AnimalSticks home town!

Maybe not for too much longer...
If it moves i want a go
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » The Bar All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: