New Yesterday: 0
Registering: 0
Members: 6662
Latest: chrisw

Most Ever Online
Visitors: 447
Members: 10
Total: 457

HeliTorque :: View topic - Ways your students have attempted to kill you...
Forum FAQ
Forum FAQ
Search
Search
Memberlist
Memberlist
Usergroups
Usergroups
Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Instructor Forum

Ways your students have attempted to kill you... Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhirlyGirl
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Ways your students have attempted to kill you... Reply with quote

In an attempt to preserve life and limb, and continue returning home at the end of each day, I thought it would be interesting for the instructors to share their experiences of students who have tried to kill them! Never know, it might help to avoid the same thing happening to someone else!

"Let's try that descent one more time... P-A-T"
...at which point bloggs forgets that lever can move up and down and attempts to wind off the throttle instead!

"Practice autorotation go..."
...after several very good autorotations bloggs "type 2" kicks in a sh1t-load of left pedal Yikes!

Be interesting to hear some of your stories. I'm sure there are MANY!

Sarah
haggishunter
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A gentle entry to auto 1500ft, with a new student following through. He freezes on the controls, nose pitches down and aircraft rolls left. After hitting him, which was the only way I could get him off the controls, the aircraft was at 20 degrees AoB, 85 kts and increasing, RRPM 75%. God knows how I got it back, and it was my 3rd day as an instructor.

25ft AGL, approx. 35 kts "quickstop, quickstop go", bloggs rolls throttle off and down we go. Run on landing with 70% RRPM on the right skid, grinding to a halt. No damage to aircraft, was my last instructional flight. Great eh!

HH

"When the tough gets going, the tough eat haggis!"
Jen
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to hear afterburner's story of the student who threw the keys out the window at 2000ft Laughing
veeany

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jen should also get her own variation on this thread with the roles reversed !
Jen
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha! I had considered pointing out it's not always the students trying to kill the instructors Laughing
Heliwhore
H Addict
H Addict

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, VERY large rugby playing trial lesson, figures that the only way to stop us turning steeply left is to move cyclic left. He was stronger than me........much shouting ensues....
goughy
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing for me! 16 stones of rugby magic! Have to tread carefully! Wink
haggishunter
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jen,

I know a story very similar to the one you want to hear...

...except it was the instructor.

Customer wants to buy an R44, goes up for test flight with said instructor. Demo's hpow good the R44 is in auto and easy EOL chartacteristics. Enters auto, removes keys, throws in back seats, flies to the ground. Customer leaves, 1 week later he bought a 206, from another company.

HH

flingingwings
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HH,
Does your keys story involve an airfield NW of and close to EGLL? Or is there 'more than one idiot' about Crying or Very sad

Ways studes have tried to send me to an early grave:

Sloping ground - Get ground contact with one skid, then try to dump the lever.

School used to insist that during Ex 4 effects of throttle on RRPM was a flying exercise. S+L flight, you demo that closing the throttle a little reduces RRPM. Stude to repeat - Snaps throttle fully shut with a vice like grip. It was interesting Rolling Eyes

Downward quickstops - allowing the aircraft nose to drop during the turn.

Applying hefty left pedal in a Hover EOL.
In a simialr vein locking both feet in a Hover Taxy EOL

Studes first Hyds fail in an R44 used to be quite spirited.

Hover taxying backwards at speed - Usually only demo'ed, but a stude nearing test caught me out.

Letting the nose drop on auto entry.

Stude covering advanced autos. Extended range in an R22. Nice entry, casually commented ' Hows the RRPM'. Stude replies 'a bit low' (88%) and then tried in raise the lever.

Autos to the ground - stude is happy that at the bottom it's flare, check, level. Stude actually tries flare, check, flare a shed load more.

The stude on her pre ppl test check flight on a totally inappropriate weather day that decided a nav from Shoreham to Thruxton was achieveable despite massive hints to the contrary from myself. Airborne we go S+L 800' AGL west from shoreham south of and parallel to the south downs. I helpfully enquire about where the horizon has gone, stude doesn't take the hint Sad The inevitable happens and we go fully IMC. I remark "This is interesting", Stude replies " I need you to do this". By now we are turning sharply left (thankfully), nose down and accelerating Shocked I rolled the wings level, completed the last of the 180 and paused for breath, eventually became VMC and reckon we were 300' AGL. It took the stude less than 10 seconds to completely lose the plot. Stude very rapidly regains composure and ask to take control. I again hint that perhaps given whats happened taking off was a dubious decision. Stude has other plans and flies East towards Shoreham and then North through the gap in the hills to now parallel the hills from that side Sad Eventually the penny drops with the stude who finaly decides that returning to our start pont would be a damn good idea. Stude opts to turn left ( You can guess where this going) and flies towards the hills. We go fully IMC again just as we near the top of the hills Evil or Very Mad It was a lenghty debrief Laughing I should add (to my shame) I'd been FI'ing about 14 months and didn't hold an IR, I still believe that a stude has to actually make some mistakes before you realise where the problems are but on that occassion my inexperience nearly created an aircraft sized hole twice.

Loved FI'ing work, but god did it get my hair grey Wink

In a similar vein to the possible Jen 'How did your instructor try to kill you' story options...................

My R44 type rating test was interesting.I was a ppl with about 70 hrs TT. Examiner plus South African visitor in the front fly from test airfield to Cowdray Park (I and my instructor are in the rear). Uneventual trip, but to lessen the risk to the horses at Cowdray the examiner completes a full down auto in to the site.( I still think it was a crap decision!).
South African departs and its my go to get in to the front for my test. Examiner elects to fly the departure. Up we go vertically to about 100' with a line of trees to our right, hard right cyclic and right pedal and we literally complete a diving roll over the treetops ( It wasn't pretty)

Test begins in ernest. The return route takes us near the home of a mate of the examiner. An auto is duly briefed, the intention being to auto into the mates garden and a reasonable sized field is identified. I should add at this point the field both I and my FI (sat in the back have identified) is not the one the examiner actually has in mind Shocked This becomes clear at about 200' AGL when the examiner helps control the auto into the mates actual garden - a small crescent shaped gently sloping patch of lawn surrounded on all the sides other than our approach by trees. Aircraft lands, my Fi and I share a similar pale complexion! Aircraft is shut down and examiner trots off to find his mate. Blade clearance to the trees either side, we find is less than three feet Sad

A few minutes later and we're off again the return route to now include a little more demanding nav - specifically H9 Oxshott to Northwood. Just south of Oxshott the dual tachs 'fail' - not a biggy and in any case I'd seen the examiner reach for the CB.

We were holding over the Dual taxyways when I realised things weren't right. I was already working hard when thankfully I finally heard that RRPM sounded slower than it should. I raised this with the examiner who undid what he'd been doing Question and we continued to our destination.

The debrief was the interesting bit.
Having failed the dual tachos (no ERPM or RRPM indication is now visible) the examiner, as I flew north on H9, had carried on 'playing' - CB's for gov and low RRPM warning had also been pulled and the examiner had then very slowly started to roll the throttle closed Evil or Very Mad

The main thrust of my debrief was that by sound alone my examiner was concerned that his actions had got the RRPM to within about 5% of it being unrecoverable whilst we were holding over the dual taxyways!

My debrief ended quite quickly, and I still stand by the comments that ended our chat - If the examiner ever pulls a stunt like that again with me as a stude/passeger I will serve a lenghty prison term.

I should add the examiner still tests, and even several years on I still won't ever get in an aircraft with him (Not that now that is ever likely to be a possibility, thankfully)

Give me SPIFR anyday Cool
James T Lowe

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked
haggishunter
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Said examiner should be named and shamed for that cowboy performance.

HH

flingingwings
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HH,
Possibly..........
But me dear old mum always taught me that if you have nothing good to say you shouldn't say anything. Can't upset mum Very Happy

And regarding this individual I've nothing good to say Rolling Eyes

That said there is a good pointer within my reply Wink
haggishunter
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right. Is it the same dude that had the key throwing indicent? Which by the way is based at a nice airfield NW of LL.

HH

Jen
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're all mad, I tell you, MAD!!! Confusion
fendersim
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaggisHunter wrote:
the aircraft was at 20 degrees AoB, 85 kts and increasing, RRPM 75%. God knows how I got it back, and it was my 3rd day as an instructor.

I was under the impression that 80% was the point of no return for RRPM in a R22 and that if it fell below that there is absolutely no way you can get it back? Is it lower?

PPL(H) - R22!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Instructor Forum All times are GMT

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: