New Yesterday: 0
Registering: 0
Members: 6662
Latest: chrisw

Most Ever Online
Visitors: 447
Members: 10
Total: 457

HeliTorque :: View topic - What is the best helicopter pilot job?
Forum FAQ
Forum FAQ
Search
Search
Memberlist
Memberlist
Usergroups
Usergroups
Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Employment

What is the best helicopter pilot job?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CessnaN280_Pilot
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:45 am    Post subject: What is the best helicopter pilot job? Reply with quote

I am debating whether I should go the fixed or rotor wing route, and I am wondering if you guys could help me out. I would like to know if spending the extra money to be a heli pilot is worth it in the long run. So, could you tell me which heli.. or fixed wing job would fit my description...

1.) This is the most important thing. I absolutely need to fly home every night. I plan to have a family, and that would have priority over my career.

2.) I would like to make more than $80,000

3.) I do not want to go in the military.

I was considering being a helicopter corporate pilot, but how available is that job and how would that fit in my description?

(yes, I am a cessna pilot)
Ascend_Charlie
H Addict
H Addict

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a brand-new chopper pilot, the following applies:
1. Yes, you will make $80,000. After about 10 years in the job. Until then, boy is it tough.
2. Yes, you will be home every night. because you won't have a job at first. Then when you get a job, you might be at somebody else's home every night, but get back to your home on weekends.
3. Yes, you can get a corporate job. After you get 5,000 hours, twin time, instrument rating and a good reputation. You will be on standby for the Big Boss at all hours, be available to fly when he snaps his fingers, no excuses ("sorry boss, I wanted to make a baby tonight...") and often unplanned overnights in some hotel 2 tanks of fuel away.
4. No, you don't have to go military. They do awful things like pay you to learn, use the best turbine equipment, feed and house you, and then expect you to work for them. Go the civil way, where you can pay them for an instructor who has 150 hours more than you do, uses piston machines, have no guarantee of work at the end, and they expect you to pay them even more to teach you to be a 150-hour instructor and keep the sausage factory running.

You get out of it what you put into it, and at the start, you have to put a heck of a lot into it. Hang around long enough, and the rewards will flow, but a lot of people don't have the facilities to wait that long.
ORC
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand the home every night but if the $80,000 is high on your list your looking at the wrong career. You are not going to be on that sort of money until a few years after you have spent that amount on training .
WindSwept
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think unless you've been a pilot in the military most new helicopter pilots have to start out with their number one priority being, i want to fly for a living because a love it. Not i want to fly for the money (your not going to get it), or i want to fly for the status (that doesnt change how you feel working ur arse off for the smallest break)

You have to want to do it because you love it first and foremost, because from my understanding your going to need that to get you through to your first break.
Dolphin
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

italy.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ascend_Charlie wrote:
For a brand-new chopper pilot, the following applies:
1. Yes, you will make $80,000. After about 10 years in the job. Until then, boy is it tough.
2. Yes, you will be home every night. because you won't have a job at first. Then when you get a job, you might be at somebody else's home every night, but get back to your home on weekends.
3. Yes, you can get a corporate job. After you get 5,000 hours, twin time, instrument rating and a good reputation. You will be on standby for the Big Boss at all hours, be available to fly when he snaps his fingers, no excuses ("sorry boss, I wanted to make a baby tonight...") and often unplanned overnights in some hotel 2 tanks of fuel away.
4. No, you don't have to go military. They do awful things like pay you to learn, use the best turbine equipment, feed and house you, and then expect you to work for them. Go the civil way, where you can pay them for an instructor who has 150 hours more than you do, uses piston machines, have no guarantee of work at the end, and they expect you to pay them even more to teach you to be a 150-hour instructor and keep the sausage factory running.

You get out of it what you put into it, and at the start, you have to put a heck of a lot into it. Hang around long enough, and the rewards will flow, but a lot of people don't have the facilities to wait that long.

You couln't have put it in a better way...!!!

happy6
Smike
'Torquing Regularly
'Torquing Regularly

spain.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a low timer i would answer to the question: "Any!". IŽd try not to work for free though.

Cheers!
haggishunter
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never work for free! If you do it is the quickest way to be hated by anyother professional pilot.

What is the current adverage in the UK for and FI with no monthly retainer at the moment?

Thanks,

HH

"When the tough gets going, the tough eat haggis!"
Smike
'Torquing Regularly
'Torquing Regularly

spain.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaggisHunter wrote:
Never work for free! If you do it is the quickest way to be hated by anyother professional pilot.

Thanks,

HH

True enought. Promised myself i wouldnt pay for type ratings, hours, nor working for free...unlike some low-timers here(and anywhere else?). It will take me more time to get there, i know.

Cheers!
paddywak
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Money isn't everything, but if you can get up and go to work with a smile on your face and a spring in your step, thats gota count for alot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Employment All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: