Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Wannabes

How Long? Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zaz
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

canada.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: How Long? Reply with quote

Hello Everyone.

I have been bitten by the bug...
Last week was my first trial lesson and now I can't stop thinking about it. I have always had an interest in helicopters but life tends to get in the way of staring at the sky wondering "what if"
That has now all changed. I have flown, I have taken the controls and I did a pretty good job hovering for the first time (according to the instructor)
How long did it take you guys to obtain your PPLH? Not hours but real time, 3 months - 3 years etc.
I guess it all depends on funds!!!

Love reading all the posts about hovering and first solos etc.

Zaz
James T Lowe

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: How Long? Reply with quote

Hello Zaz - Welcome to Helitorque! Very Happy

It took me just short of nine months from trial lesson, to passing GFT. That was training at around 2 hours per week, weather/work permitting. Actually, it's been mentioned elsewhere, but for me, the winter weather got in the way towards the end - took me two months to complete the qualifying NavEx! You're dead right about it depending on funds, although I had around 75% of the funds necessary saved, before embarking on it.

You might be interested in reading through my Flying Diary, which I kept whilst training.

Incidentally, where are you based? Perhaps you could post to "Calling all Rotorheads" with more detail!

Good luck. Cool Very Happy
WhirlyGirl
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Zaz!

Nice to meet you! My flying was very spaced out the beginning as I had not expected to be bitten by the bug and at the time we only just had the funds to pay for WhirlyGuy's course (which got me into it in the first place!). However, eventually I managed to get to fly more frequently and it was only the last 6-8 months of my training where I was seriously getting through the course. I guess if you discount those first few infrequent lessons it took about 9-10 months for me. I could have done it more quickly if I had had the funds, as I had done all the exams right at the beginning, however I think it was rather nice to spread it out a bit as it became a regualar social occasion! Very Happy

If you have any questions please ask away!! That's what the forum is here for. Smile

Best Regards,

WhirlyGirl Cool
Zaz
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

canada.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

Im in Reading, my lesson was at High Wycombe. I used the same R-22 that David Jason, is using for his lessons also got to see Mike Smith after my lesson.

I tried a trial lesson in a fixed wing about 17 years ago and it really did nothing for me, but OMG this was so different just wish I had done it years ago!!!
WhirlyGirl
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never too late Zaz! Go for it! Very Happy

WhirlyGirl Cool
heliaviator
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst subject to funds if you learn full time you could get through in 2-3 months, I wound not recommend it.
I started flying 4 days a week in the start, but found things didn???t sink in as well as spreading it over a period of time.
It takes time for actions to become automatic and second nature.
Most of the people I???ve heard of that have done full time courses either here or in the USA have never completed the course in the timescale.
1-2 times a week is optimum, and allows for weather etc.
I started learning at the age of 45 (took 9 months start to finish) and wished I could turn the clock back 25 yrs??..Every flight is a thrill. Very Happy Very Happy
I fly from Denham and will have an R44 based at Denham from the end of the month??PM your number and I???ll let you know if there???s a spare seat going when I???m flying.

Go for it
Zaz
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

canada.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks heliaviator...god, you guys are all so friendly. Nice to know there is such a welcoming community out there.

Just checked your Lat &Lon on Google Earth...found your place!

Zaz
nc
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: how often? Reply with quote

erm lots of conflicting advice - personally i would just crack on with it, why prolong the agony with 1-2 lessons a week - if you have / can finance it fly as often as possible to get through the course, the more you fly the more it sinks in. And crack the studying exams early!

Maybe avoid weekends, some schools tend to be very trial lesson, 1/2 hr pleasure flight orinetated at this time and you may not get quality instructor time - on the other side airfields at w/e's are busy and it makes your r/t work better and sometimes just scares the hell out of you how much traffic there is...

I guess from your post you are with hei air at Booker? Mr Jason was doing his licence on a 22 there when i did mine in '03, think his filming gets in the way ...

How many hrs have they said you will do your licence in? out of interest

nc
Zaz
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

canada.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey nc, hows it going?

I havent really spoken to anyone at the airfield about long term plans. I just had the trial lesson and can't get my head out of the clouds (in more ways than one)

What are the exams like?

Zaz
WhirlyGirl
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The exams are fine as long as you study the material carefully enough! I found making notes was the only way it could sink in for me, but everyone has their own study methods. Being as I am starting the commercial course soon I am planning to make up some study cards to test myself. Can't comment on how effective that is becuse I have never tried it, but it sounds like a good idea.

I found Meteorology and Navigation the most difficult, purely becuase of the amount of infomation you have to take in, but my advice is start reading the books early on, you don't want to end up having done all the flying and being held back by having to do the studying. I think it does also help your knowledge when flying if you've learnt Air Law and Principles of Flight as it help you to understand what you're doing!

That's just my opinion... Very Happy

WhirlyGirl Cool
Zaz
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

canada.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks WG!

I havent done anything like exams since school...so many years ago! My math is awful, will that be a problem?

I do have a question for you...how long is your longest flight and how exhausted where you after?

Best
Zaz
Flying Foxy
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Zaz,

I'm fairly well through the training now, just one exam to do (R/T) plus about 5 hours of exercises. I am a maths coward, I admit it. I learned how to use the CRP-1 which does help a great deal with most of the major calculations. You need a calculator for weights and balances but once you know what you're doing (and your FI will help you - they and other students you'll meet in your training are all on your side) it is quite straightforward - all regularly used methods for getting the numbers you want.

The Trevor Thom books (new Jar/Ops ones) or AFE books are good reading and cover all the syllabus. W.J. Wagtendonk 'Principals Of Helicopter Flight' is a very good in-depth aid as is the PPL Confuser (by Nung Sornying) although this is a bit behind in that the CAA exams are now multiple choice of FOUR answers, not three but the basic style of questioning is still very relevant (apart from the fixed wing q's and the Wagtendonk is invaluable here). As WGirl says, READ PLENTY!! If you can study by writing notes, that's good - and post-it notes around the house are a good reminder. It seems that having written things out, it tends to stay in your mind a good deal better and then after that, the execution of practices is good for making it stay in memory, like doing Nav planning.

I did my first solo circuit at 19.4 hours - great experience! Training on a Schweizer 300 CBi.

Keep at it!

FF

Zaz
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

canada.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my next step is to go back to Heli-Air and sit down with the FI to see what options are available. Do the medical first, no point going any further until that is out of the way!

Have a great weekend all. Especially if you are in the air!
Zaz
Flying Foxy
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, get the medical - see if it's all ticking and pumping etc.

I'll be in the air tomorrow at 07:15, Brum to Munich, then to Toulouse but I shan't be even P2, just watching out of a porthole..

See ya.

FF

TopCat
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All Very Happy

I thought this looked like a good thread to *bump* and a chance for me to jump in with my first post.

I've always had an interest in helicopters and wanted to learn to fly them. I'm now able to embark on a course and have been searching through the local schools in my area.

I'm able to train full-time and obviously first on the list is to have the initial trial lesson (I may be scared to death Shocked - let's hope not!).

EMH at Costock looks like it will be the best place for me. It is a hours drive, but they appear a friendly school and should be flexible with their training for me (any comments appreciated). Smile

So hopefully i'll be taking a run over there soon and having a look around and maybe even taking to the skies! Very Happy

Obviously i'd love to gain my licence as quickly as possible, so am I starting this at the wrong time of the year - what do you think?

Thanks for listening. Look forward to "meeting" some of you in the forum.

TOPCAT Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Wannabes All times are GMT

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: