View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindSwept
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOPCAT wrote:
Hi All Very Happy

I thought this looked like a good thread to *bump* and a chance for me to jump in with my first post.

I've always had an interest in helicopters and wanted to learn to fly them. I'm now able to embark on a course and have been searching through the local schools in my area.

I'm able to train full-time and obviously first on the list is to have the initial trial lesson (I may be scared to death Shocked - let's hope not!).

EMH at Costock looks like it will be the best place for me. It is a hours drive, but they appear a friendly school and should be flexible with their training for me (any comments appreciated). Smile

So hopefully i'll be taking a run over there soon and having a look around and maybe even taking to the skies! Very Happy

Obviously i'd love to gain my licence as quickly as possible, so am I starting this at the wrong time of the year - what do you think?

Thanks for listening. Look forward to "meeting" some of you in the forum.

TOPCAT Very Happy

Hey Topcat, welcome! I think James Lowe (lurking around somewhere) trained at Costock?! He might be able to provice some insight into what the school is like there.

Where abouts are you located?

In regards to when you start learning there are pluses and minus' to all times of the year, in the summer and good weather (not that we get that anymore) but if we did it is much buiser, lots of traffic wanting to enjoy the sunny days and everyone wants to be up, good when you need to get used to traffic, not so i guess when your trying to get time with your busy instructor. In the winter months the weather can be worse (bad spell approaches) but also i imagine schools are less busy, less people are flying and to be honest, your not going to be flying as high or as far as you would in a fixed wing, therefore i should think you will still get a reasonable amount of flying done. Ive just started learning and don't really have an quarms about learning through the winter, it certinally appears quieter in the skies and in the schools.
James T Lowe

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. I'm here. Some might say omnipresent.

Welcome to Helitorque TC!

First thing's first, get the shameless plugging out of the way - my training diary from my experiences on the PPL(H) course a few years back, can be found here.

EMH is a great place to learn - but I would say that, wouldn't I?! Cool Normally there's a heli/instructor available when you want it.

As for starting about now, that's probably not such a bad idea you know. How often are you considering having a lesson, TC? I went for about two a week and it took my about nine months to complete. However, if I wasn't trying to complete the course in the winter months, I think that would have been nearer 6-7 months - a combination of weather and a bit of bad luck with machine servicability meant that it took around two months to complete my QXC!

Okay, the weather over winter draws in a bit, and there are fewer days available for flying; however I don't think that's so much of a problem if you're with an instructor/training on low-level manouevres. Either way, if you manage to complete the course by April/May next year, then you've a whole summer immediately available for flying; AND your LPC will be due at a slightly more predictable time of year.

Unlike my R22 LPC, which was February... and my R44, which is October.

(This Saturday as it happens - don't fancy my chances with the weather much - when are you thinking of heading over?)
WhirlyGuy
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Lowe wrote:

When did you get the God status then James? Wink

WhirlyGuy
WhirlyGirl
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to HeliTorque Topcat! The winter is a great time to learn - not so busy with pleasure flights and trial lessons and you tend to get more time to spend in the classroom picking the instructor's brain!

If you have any questions please do ask away! Smile

Sarah
WhirlyGirl
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Lowe wrote:
Welcome to Helitorque TC!

By the way has anyone seen the other TC lately (Thomas Coupling)? He seems to have disappeared! Perhaps he's still lurking around here somewhere...

Sarah
TopCat
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the warm welcome and speedy responses guys and girls Very Happy

Walker wrote:
Where abouts are you located?

I'm located in Stoke-on-Trent (between Trentham and Stone). Thanks for the viewpoints regarding the time of year for learning - much appreciated Very Happy

James T Lowe wrote:
How often are you considering having a lesson, TC?

I'd like to devote as much time as possible to the lessons. I can put aside 4 or 5 days a week, but i'll be guided by the instructors to what is best. I'd obviously like to achieve the licence in the shortest (but safest Wink ) time possible.

James T Lowe wrote:
(This Saturday as it happens - don't fancy my chances with the weather much - when are you thinking of heading over?)

I'm hoping to get over to EMH to have a look around later this week (Thursday or Friday) or next week (just sorting out business bits and bobs). Good luck with your LPC! Smile

Thanks WhirlGirl and WhirlyGuy (Cool names Very Happy Very Happy ) for your responses. I'll certainly ask any questions..........no doubt i'll have quite a few Embarassed so just tell me to "zip it" if i'm causing a nuisance. Smile

Thanks again!

TC Very Happy
James T Lowe

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhirlyGuy wrote:
James T Lowe wrote:

When did you get the God status then James? Wink

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a God.
WhirlyGuy
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Lowe wrote:
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a God.

Huh?
TopCat
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see that this forum will be interesting Very Happy and a break from studying too!

So, is James T Lowe a God or not? I need to know incase I bump into him at EMH. I'm presuming you have wings James so you may possibly be a God then Wink Very Happy

I mustn't get addicted to this forum or i'll never get to learn to fly!!

Regards to All,

TC Very Happy
Jen
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck with the lessons. If you're anything like the rest of us, the trial lesson will the start of a very long and slippery slope. Laughing

I've just started (6.5 hours in) and am doing about one lesson a week. (Although with weather and holidays it seems to work out as 2 in one weekend and then none for 2 weeks Rolling Eyes Laughing ) I'm in no great hurry though and don't intend to turn it into a career, just enjoying the process Very Happy
TopCat
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments Jen Very Happy Can I ask, what did you book for your first lesson? 1/2 hour - 1 hour - 1/2 days course? Did you find it was long enough? Any pointers, help, bad or good bits appreciated. Very Happy

Good luck with your course!

TC Very Happy
Jen
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just booked 1/2 hour. It's expensive, don't you know and I had no intention of having any more lessons - I just fancied a little go Rolling Eyes Laughing I kept telling myself for the next 6 hour-long lessons that I was going to stop. Just fancied one more...

I don't think it matters too much how long the first lesson is if you're intending to come back for more, although I think my brain might have exploded with a half day course!

I now advise people not to have a trial lesson unless they have the means to go all the way. Stopping would be far too painful. Laughing
WhirlyGirl
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jen,

We do the discovery day, which is 2.5 hours flying and a whole day with an instructor to pick their brains! The whole experience lasts at least 6 hours (usually longer when people start asking lots of questions lol!) and lunch is thrown in too. It's a great opportunity to get to know the instructor and get through the first few exercises of the PPL(H). Everyone who has gone through it has had a lot of fun and most have continued onto doing the whole course (like you say it's highly addictive - just one more lesson....)

Usually at the end of the day the student is pretty knackered but goes home with a massive grin on his/her face! Some even come back the next day for more punishment. Hehe Twisted Evil

The other thing to consider before you get through too many flying hours, is to get your medical done! You don't want to get half way through the course only to find out you can't get a medical. On the flip side you don't want to get the medical without trying a bit of flying first - you might not even like it (yeah, right).

Sarah
TopCat
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments Very Happy the half day course sounds really good Very Happy

Let's hope I do like flying!!

TC Very Happy
WindSwept
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhirlyGirl wrote:
Jen,

Usually at the end of the day the student is pretty knackered but goes home with a massive grin on his/her face! Some even come back the next day for more punishment. Hehe Twisted Evil
Sarah

And the next day, and the next day Twisted Evil

Very well worth doing a flight discovery day!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Wannabes All times are GMT

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: