Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Flight Safety

Safety Audit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
airlogger
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject: Safety Audit Reply with quote

I'm a rookie Safety Officer for a new helicopter operation and we face a safety audit by an oil company in a week's time. I would appreciate any advice from any quarters on what to prepare for.
Heli-Ops
H Addict
H Addict

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airlogger - My editor has a sideline where he actually does audits for various companies and I have just asked him to log in and see if he can help you with some info.

Heli Ops

anuva brilyant mynd rooind buy tha publick ejakayshun sistum
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Name
ogsplash
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Safety Audit Reply with quote

Airlogger, Audits can be interesting events as different auditors look for different things which is actually a good and a bad thing. Good because different issues are covered by different auditors and bad because sometimes changes can be contradictory as different audits are conducted. Oil companies are usually the most thorough although sometimes to a point of silliness...some not only look at aviation, they also get into occupational health and safety issues within your workplace so be prepared for that. These may include checking signage, waterwash facilities, lifting practices etc.

Compliance Auditing...in compliance auditing, the auditor will check that the company operates in accordance with regulations, orders, directives and agreements. This will include checking pilot records, maintenance records (including compliance with ADs) and observing operations and maintenance practices. Records are usually pulled randomly. Interestingly, I've done audits where the company complied with the regs but I stilled expressed concerns about the use of certain helicopters from one country that didn't have the same standards of certification or record keeping as another...this usually arises in the use of Eastern bloc produced aircraft that haven't been through an equivalent certification process as a Western bloc aircraft. This not to say there was a problem, it was just that the paperwork and testing wasn't conducted to the same standard or the paperwork was lacking. This is more safety auditing....

Safety Auditing involves checking the company's systems...is there an active safety management program? Is the rhetoric backed up by action? Senior management commitment to safety? Reporting systems? Followup on accident, incident and hazard reports? Active CRM programs? Active Risk Management programs? Not only should there be paperwork to back up the programs but the auditor should interview and chat with staff and maangement to see if there any deficiencies. Recommendations here may be based on best-practice or oil company requirements rather than any regulatory requirement. I personally have been amazed at some large US helicopter operators being totally devoid of modern safety systems and the only reason that things have gone well was because of the individuals involved and their personal attitudes. So in that case, the auditor may say that the systems are shite but the individuals are good so if anyone changes, then the company needs re-auditing....some will do that, some won't.

Some oil companies may even audit the financial health...never been involved in one of those and way beyond my knowledge!

Hope this helps!!!

Og
airlogger
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Safety Audit Reply with quote

Many thanks, Og, for your input. Airlogger
safetyteam
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject: Safety Audit Reply with quote

Hi Airlogger,

If you are thinking long term about your safety management program, you might want to check out the following website:

http://www.aerosafe.com.au/page/aviation_safety_network.html

The ASN is especially beneficial to small organisations who are looking for extra support in the area of safety and risk management.

Best of luck

Safetyteam
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Flight Safety All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: