New Yesterday: 0
Registering: 0
Members: 6662
Latest: chrisw

Most Ever Online
Visitors: 447
Members: 10
Total: 457

HeliTorque :: View topic - Is OZ any better?
Forum FAQ
Forum FAQ
Search
Search
Memberlist
Memberlist
Usergroups
Usergroups
Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Wannabes

Is OZ any better? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
novice
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject: Is OZ any better? Reply with quote

I've been traveling for a few months now, and i quite like the idea of living somewhere hot for a bit, does anyone know if Oz is any better for getting a flying job as I've been told there's a fairly good chance of getting a cattle mustering job, or tourist flights after completing training and the license is roughly 30 grand over there. Will i get a visa for at least a few years and will the conversion be a killer if i ever want to go JAA and return home?
Jimmy
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to work in Australia, you will need some sort of visa that permits you to live and work here. You won't get a working visa just because you train here. Have a look at the DIMIA site.

With regards to Cattle mustering, unless you have some sort of cattle experience you have pretty much no chance of breaking into this part of the industry.
Tourism, they put people on every year and you would have just as much of a chance at finding a job as the next pilot. I am Scottish and worked flying tourist here, nobody seems to care where you are from as long as you can fly and have a work visa.
As for the licence costing 30K over here well, yeah mine did back in 1998 but I think it's a wee bit more expensive these days.
105 Hours of flying @ $480 per hour, plus medical, plus exams, plus cost of living during your course.......you get the idea

As for your conversion to the JAA, well I am told they accept the hours in your logbook but to change over you need to sit the JAA exams, pass a flight test and medical. I don't know this for a fact as I am still in OZ and probably will stay here as I can't be bothered or afford to take the time to sit the exams again.
Good luck with it all
Jim
novice
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, I'm looking into flying in the brisbane region, one of the instructors is from the uk who went there after flying in the military. what are the minimum hours for insurance in the tourisim industry and do they all require turbine time? Is there a lot of pilots out of work there?
Jimmy
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most of the tourism helicopter operators will take on a new CPL. 105 hours. Most seem to use R44 now so that endorsement is required if you want to be competitive.

There are lots of pilots here looking for work, the same as every other country but in Australia you need to be in the right place, so applying for jobs in the NT when you are in Sydney as a low timer won't get you a gig. If you are in the NT and knocking on the hangar door every week or so you stand a much better chance of being put on.

Where you train can also help you finding work, Chopperline, PHS and The Helicopter Group all run scenic flight operations and obviously if you train there and they are looking for pilots they will employ their own students first.

Good luck
Jim
LoachBoy
H Addict
H Addict

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy,

Just on the off-chance, you don't know how readily you can convert a JAA CPL(H) to an Oz licence do you?

Toying with doing FI Rating there or Canada, and then staying put for a bit if I can get work!

Many ta's!
Jimmy
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

c=PC_90024#convert" target="_blank">http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD:Razzc=PC_90024#convert

The only drama you will have is the work visa, if you have got this sorted then good luck and bring your sunscreen!

Jim
LoachBoy
H Addict
H Addict

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...... interesting!

Cheers Jimmy!
flip2
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are between 18-30 it is relatively easy to get a 12 month working visa which can be extended to 24 months if you meet certain requirements.
novice
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chopper line look quite good, they seem to have a very active approach towards employing students. at a rough guess could anyone put a price on zero to cpl? i have a fixed wing license and nco aircrew military flying expirence so i'd like to imagine i'd be close to completing in the minimums, I'm roughly imagining 30,000 pounds training and maybe 2/3000 living expenses for 6/9 months training if i can find a bar job at night. Am i being a moron or is there any hope?
Jimmy
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice, Chopperline is a very good school, I trained there myself. They have some very experienced pilots/instructors and the Sunshine Coast is a brilliant place to learn to fly.
flip2
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

novice wrote:
chopper line look quite good,

If you get the opportunity - Tub thumbright
I had heard some years ago that he was no longer CFI, but perhaps he still does some instructing.

Again, Graham Gillies a little further up the coast also turned out some fine pilots.

The best websites and PR machines weren't always from the best schools Wink
LoachBoy
H Addict
H Addict

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flip2 wrote:
If you are between 18-30 it is relatively easy to get a 12 month working visa which can be extended to 24 months if you meet certain requirements.

Bugger! Sad
novice
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, I've spoke to the school and arranged some cheap accommodation long term in a hostel, which sounds cool there will be a lot of young people to talk too. I'm off to America for the rest of summer so I am aiming to start training in October time. the accommodation is $32 a night which i thought sounds reasonable for a single room. its next to the airport too. The visa shouldn't be too much of a problem. Its just building the courage up to actually do it now.

is it worth getting a turbine rating straight after finishing my Cpl? i know i will need an r44 but I'm not sure if it will be a massive waste of money. will they let me fly a turbine helicopter commercial after a 5 hour course?

thanks for the help guys.
Jimmy
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice, Which school did you decide to train with?
In Australia most low time jobs are in R44's on scenic flights, so get as much 44 time as you can. Leave the turbine endorsement until you have a firm job offer flying a turbine machine. Don't listen to sales rubbish about how you should get one just to have the bases covered.
novice
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothings set in stone but i expect to go with PHS in queensland, I've heard good things, the accomodations down the road and i met someone who lives there on my travels to hang out with.

Whats a reasonable starting salary? I'm not keen on taking the money off my parents but a loan would require $650 odd a month payback.

on the topic of visas
is applying for the working holiday visa for 2 years then going for a migrant visa after a good plan? I'm not really skilled in trades, i have a few management qualifications that look good on paper but no expirence to back that up. so im iffy about getting the migrant straight off.

any advice, knowledge or tips on anything to do with going to Oz to fly is greatly appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Wannabes All times are GMT

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: