Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Anything Goes!

Camera Memory Cards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oi_martin
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Camera Memory Cards Reply with quote

Dear All

Got a question, i recently took a digital camera memory card into Boots to one of their photo printer machines to print some photos.

The memory card also had some old photos on it that were not printed out. I took the memory card home and attached it to my PC to delete the old photos but couldnt find them on the memory card but they had showed up on the photo printing machine.

I used both a card reader and the camera to connect to the PC and the old photos were not there.

Any explanations gratefully received.

Thanks

Martin
James T Lowe

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be a whole variety of reasons, really. Difficult to know precisely, as there's a few variables that we're not very likely to be able to work out.

Some guesses: Photos are marked as hidden on the card, and when you view them through Windows Explorer, which is set to hide hidden files, you won't see them. Or maybe a hidden directory?

Maybe the photo machine is picking them up from the "thumbs.db" or some other thumbnail type database, but the real files are no longer present. (I wonder how the photo machine is reading the card, anyway!)

Theoretically, it'd be possible to partition the memory card - it might be that the camera has done that - the photo machine is reading both drives, but your windows PC isn't configured to show both drives. (I say theoretically - I don't think I've ever partitioned a memory card!)

Try clicking on to "properties" of the memory card drive (when connected through the card reader) and see if all the space is available, or how much is in use. If you've nothing left on it, but there's still a chunk of space in use, there's definately something hidden there.

When I've got images off my cards, onto PC/Backup, I'll format my memory cards before shooting again. That ensures there's nothing left on them, and gives them a "clean slate" for the next photo shoot. If you're sure you've got everything you want from it, probably worth formatting the card. (Format it in the camera, rather than computer - ensures fullest possible comapatability with camera!)
James T Lowe

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thought occurred to me this morning - you said "old photos", which I assumed to be your old photographs...

If not, then there could have been another device plugged into the photo machine in Boots, belonging to someone else who had left it behind - quite possible you'd see images from both.
oi_martin
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks James, will give it a try.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Anything Goes! All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: