Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Flight Dynamics

LH/RH P1 seat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flying Foxy
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: LH/RH P1 seat Reply with quote

I guess there's no straightforward answer to these questions, but I'll enquire anyway!

On certain US helos, like the 206, the Robbos, MD (and others no doubt) the 'standard' P1 is the RH seat - well that's great for us UK types.
Now, I fly a Schweizer 300 and it's P1 in the LH. But this is a US helo and according to the Blue Book (the Info Manual) it can be configured as P1 either LH or RH.

The plot thickens when you get onto Rotor direction - the R22, 206 and 300 are all 'power on, left pedal' (anti-clockwise) yet the Euro machines like the Squirrel are 'wrong way running' - clockwise (so presumably 'power on, right pedal'). I'm assuming here that the T/R is on the pilot's left on an a/c rotor and his right on a clockwise rotor. There are a lot of variables here and it's becoming complex!

The personal favourite would be RH P1 - not only because of where I sit in a car, but for doing Nav, changing R/T frequencies, HSI etc. etc., it's easier and perhaps safer to do all this with your left hand whilst hanging onto the stick with your right. Seated on the left, you have to apply friction to the lever, change hands on the stick and then try to maintain level and speed with the 'wrong' hand and do yer fiddling with your right. It is not easy!

It also seems odd that the US helicopters are predominantly (if not all) RH P1 since they drive on the other side from us - if that had anything at all to do with it and it probably didn't..

Just thinking out loud...

FF

WhirlyGirl
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Left Seat Right Seat Reply with quote

Hi FF,

I have flown a Squirrel (although it was dual not solo), and I still sat in the right seat even though it is a clockwise rotor system and, as you say, it's right pedal for power on. Apart from this difference, the other controls were in the same position.

I guess it's just a case of each design and manufacturer to their own, but like you say, there is probably an answer somewhere, just not a straightforward one!!

WhirlyGirl
Flying Foxy
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: P1 position Reply with quote

HOW have you managed to get rides in SO many different types?????? And all over the place too - do you know a lot of people only in all the right spots?
How many hours have you done this far?

FF

WhirlyGirl
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Hours Reply with quote

Hi FF!

I have 15 hours so far. I have flown a few different types becuase I wanted to have a go on different helis! Most of my training has been done in an R22, but I thought I'd hire a couple of different machines for training - just for a taster!!

Although I have done a couple of ferry flights (since I am very sad and hang around at airfields at every spare opportunity!!), the vast majority of flying I have done the old fashioned way - paid for it with hard earned spondoolis! A sure-fast way to empty the old bank account! lol!

But I guess it's the only way I am going to build up enough hours to do my commercials! Will take me years at this rate!! lol!

I suppose I could sell a few body parts... Hehe.

WhirlyGirl
weekend warrior
H Addict
H Addict

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by weekend warrior on Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
WhirlyGirl
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Opportunities Reply with quote

weekend warrior wrote:
I would have thought that was entirely obvious! I'm sure that being a charming, attractive young lady (albeit slightly married Wink ) opens all kinds of doors. Laughing

Ahem, what are you suggesting WW? Shocked

I'd like to think the reason for my "door opening" opportunities is that I am a dedicated and hard working student pilot who wants to go on and achieve great things in the world of helicopter flying!!

WhirlyGirl Wink
weekend warrior
H Addict
H Addict

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by weekend warrior on Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
WhirlyGirl
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: I don't bite! Reply with quote

lol! Wink
WhirlyGuy
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Ahem...!!! Reply with quote

Just wondering what was meant by :
weekend warrior wrote:
I would have thought that was entirely obvious! I'm sure that being a charming, attractive young lady (albeit slightly married ) opens all kinds of doors.

I am pretty sure that WhirlyGirl is completely married to me! Smile

Please elaborate.... Question

W-Guy

........... give in!!! lol

W-Guy - PPL(H)

Last edited by WhirlyGuy on Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
WhirlyGirl
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: Door Opening Reply with quote

Don't panic WhilryGuy!!

I've set them straight!! lol! Sure they didn't mean anything by it.

Whirly Cool
weekend warrior
H Addict
H Addict

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by weekend warrior on Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
WhirlyGirl
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Lateral Balance Reply with quote

Quote:
Aren't all these things related to lateral balance? I'm thinking of a light helicopter with only one person on board - ie the pilot. Where that pilot sits affects lateral balance which affects all the other stuff.

I don't think it would make too much difference with me, I am not all that heavy!! I see where you're coming from though, the C of G position might have some effect on tail-rotor roll. I am still learning, so any "professional" inupts would be kindly welcomed!!

WhirlyGirl Cool
WhirlyGirl
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Drift, shift, rock and roll! Reply with quote

Captain blme has gone to Norfolk! He'll probably be flying back soon I would have thought! Perhaps he can shine a light on this for us. I have been reading about this stuff today. Not sure I really understand Tail Rotor Roll though. Is it a different kettle of fish to Tail Rotor Drift or are they the same thing?

WhirlyGirl Cool
weekend warrior
H Addict
H Addict

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by weekend warrior on Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
blme
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Robinson helicopter aerodynamics Reply with quote

A tail rotor induces a flow of air from one side to the other, this compensates for the torque generated by the rotation of the main rotors ( for every action there is an equal and opposite re-action).
If you think of it in this way you may see that a helicopter will always drift in the same direction as the tail rotor pull. In a Robinson this will be to the right. I have some diagrams if anybody would like them.
The main rotor and the tail rotor are set in different planes and the resultant couple results in a rolling action to the right. (All right so far!)
To compensate for these effects the cyclic on a Robinson has 10 degrees movement to the left and 8 degrees to the right, looking forward.
Therefore in the hover you are slightly left skid low to maintain position.

Hope this helps
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Flight Dynamics All times are GMT

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: