Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Announcements & Comments

DARPA/NASA Ames, Small entities & Morphing airframes Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davh12
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: DARPA/NASA Ames, Small entities & Morphing airframes Reply with quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was wondering what all of you might think of this concept. I've caused a little discussion already, but some assumed that my design is fixed pitch, but it still has collective pitch. It is a semi-rigid rotor system so the hub teeters to negate dissymmetry of lift......I know you're thinking the no swash plate thing. DARPA and NASA Ames have already been looking into the concept. I've got a patent in the works and it left the classification contractor. I presented this concept to DARPA. They said the work in my outline had merit, but felt the pay was not high enough for DOD to "Advance the state of the art" as they called it. It surprised me a little because DARPA had just closed a BAA proposal for a Mission Adaptive Rotor system (MAR).
http://www.darpa.mil/tto/programs/mar/index.html
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/darpa_morph_copter
But according to some, the "industry" usually pays no attention to the private sector and "small entities" such as myself. I did get a call from Bell Helicopters and they were up front with me. They only called asking why I had emailed about contact info for their XworksX dep. They would've considered looking at my design, but the guy that I spoke with in the XworkX department told me that Bell's legal department told him "hands off" because I'm still active duty army. I'm not in the army aviation. I've always been Infantry, but I have a cognitive interset in rotorcraft and someone once told me that I could not do this, so I had to prove them wrong and do it anyway, but primarily I'm really interseted in the adancement of rotorcraft technology. I'm working on a small scale proof of concept prototype. www.envisionhelicopters.com is my newly created site, but it's still not finished and it may not pop on google because it's too new. You can leave comments at my site around 1 July when I upgrade.
What leads me to believe that my design will work is that there are already two types of helicopters that have "mast tilting" that are flying now in kit form. One uses a gimbal joint like mine, the GEN H4( http://www.gen-corp.jp/)but it's coaxile and fixed pitch....no human interface & no morphing airframe and most importantly no auto-rotation. The other is the airscooter ( http://www.airscooter.com/) which uses a CV joint and tilts a coaxile rotor system, but it also is fixed pitch and cannot auto. The gimbaled airframe came about in my efforts to design a tilt-mast helicopter that was not fixed pitch. The human interface control came about in my efforts to provide better control and stability when stick input is applied to control the airframe & rotor disc in a tilt mast design, but not just a "T" handle control stick to manipulate the tilting as seen in the GEN H4.
Charles Seibel, also made a prototype helicopter that the cockpit would slide forward, aft and in lateral manner thereby changing the CG and causing the helicopter to fly in that direction ( www.aviastar.org/helicopters_eng/seibel_s-4.php). Any of you rotor heads got any suggestions about anything I've mentioned? Thanks.

David
davh12
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good forum.

www.eng-tips.com

Rotorcraft engineering, mechanical eng. etc
davh12
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Gimbal joint adjustment Reply with quote

Readjusted the gimbal joint a bit more forward on the mockup, so now the carbonfiber frame and mockup are identical. Rotor tilting pylon this week-end.
Regards,

Dav

animalsticks
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fair play for taking this on.

The phrase 'whole can of worms' comes to mind...

although those who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are usually the ones who do!

how will you arrest the relevant forces using a gimbal joint?
Also you mention "...The human interface control came about in my efforts to provide better control and stability..." what human interface control?

is i fik? just interested.
again fair play for taking on this mammoth task.
If it moves i want a go
davh12
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Animal,

The human interface is nothing more than the pilot moving w/ the tilting of the rotor disc...ie rotor mast tilts +2 degrees forward then the seat will be +2 degrees forward. Charles Seibel designed an airframe in which the pilot would slide forward, aft, etc. It flew well, but had to have a set of lateral "training wheels". The airframe in my design pivots w/ a spherical bearing to prevent manipulating the CG too much. If it does not work, I'll post the crash video on my web site: www.envisionhelicopters.com

The gimbal joint will be manipulated in small amounts. Locking shaft collars will limit the amount the tilting pylon tilts laterally and traverses forward/ aft. Most of this will be identified in the RC prototype. In theory it should help me "feel out" the forces affecting the gimbal joint.

A couple of companies are looking at it...Northrop Grumman & Bell Helicopters most recently, but nothing promised.

Regards,

Dave
davh12
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Human Interface Rotor control w/ regard to control and stability or lack thereof as seen in the results of other CG/ weight shifting control. Again like that of Charles Siebels' design w/ a strut and wheels out to the flanks of the airframe.

Regards
animalsticks
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool

i find it interesting what you're doing - how will you stop fuel and other fluids or cockpit equipment and personal effects etc affecting CofG?

just out of interest???
If it moves i want a go
davh72
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry it's been so long since I posted last.............password trouble, so started new account. New user ID "davh72". Fuel..............centered like that of a Bell 47G..........fuel burns off, it only gets lighter and no worries about CG with regard to fuel. Still testing. Made some changes.........new titanim rotor mast (1st power up torque bent the stainless mast), reduced ratio reduction gear, etc. Here are a few clips. First clip is the lastest carbon fiber test frame. No lateral control which will result in right lateral drift due to tail rotor thrust, but an attempt will be made to use the tail rotor to keep it in an orbit. It's an inside test platform....price I pay for giving up some of my machining tools prior to my 2nd deployment to Iraq. All of the other things will need to be addressed. Right now, I'm just trying to get to the first test flight in small scale.

Regards,

Dave

Watch this Video in a New Window
davh72
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First CG hang test prior to bending the mast during power up test.

davh72
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non-flying aluminum mockup prior to switching back to the gimbal. Shown here is a spherical....more changes have already been made. I'll update those later.

Regards,

Dave

davh72
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whomever sent a message, I cannot open the original account under "davh12" Send it to "davh72". Thanx.

Regards,

Dave
davh72
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Third CG hang test on the mock up.......waiting on parts for carbon fiber frame.....back to the field for next week. No time.

Dave

davh72
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabricated a new rotor hub to fit the blades; no issues with balance. Shortened the titanium rotor mast and mounted the hub to the mast with one of the first rubber grommets (upper) that will allow the hub to teeter flex. The blade bending should negate most of the dissymmetry of lift. Tail rotor mounted and wiring for the motor is "rough in" and not yet soldered. New mast bearing will be 11/64". Now I must re solder a new receiver antenna as some one came into my apartment while I was in the field, went through my stuff, pulled the antenna out of the receiver and went through some of my miliatry records. Seems like I can never win. The Apartment maintenance people were in the apartments changing filters. Should have the bearings mounted next week-end or the week-end after, I think I can solder the antenna this week-end. More to follow. The pics are at my web....the photo upload on this site is not working too well.

Dave
davh72
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Internet has been down due to remodeling. 4th CG hang test is good. 1st tethered flight this week-end. Fingers crossed.

Dave (davh72 formerly davh12)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_Zvq4IC_J0
davh72
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

latest airframe configuration.

Dave

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Announcements & Comments All times are GMT

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: