Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Instructor Forum

Your thoughts wanted
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ORC
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Your thoughts wanted Reply with quote

This is a question for all you FI's out there. In an ideal world to complete a PPL (H) a student undertakes a regular training schedule of lessons, working through a series of set excercises to arrive at a standard of ability required. If like myself a student is not in a position to do this but still manages to get a few lessons in a year would you as an instructor be happy to just let the student request what they want rather than just keep giving them your standard trial lesson. I understand the work is work arguement but how do you feel about a taking on a student on a "adhoc" basis that just wants to get airbourne and fly about a bit and do you think that taking this approach can be damaging in the long term, to the already slow progress of the student ?
flip2
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not have a problem, provided I was happy that you understood the implications. Your training notes should make it clear what topics have been covered.

However, something to bear in mind is that the syllabus does follow a generally logical order, with later lessons building on previously learned skills. Therefore there will be a limit on what you can request to do based upon your current level of ability.

It's your hard-earned cash, so provided it is safe and you're not under any misapprehensions it is an instructor's job is to give you the training you want.

Depending upon your personal circumstance, you may find better progress by saving up all your hours and taking an annual trip overseas as a holiday (where your money will buy you more time) and taking a good run at your training by doing several lessons back-to-back, building upon the previous lesson rather than playing catch up on a flight you did 5 months ago.
veeany

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to regularly fly with a good guy who didnt want a licence, enjoyed flying and the social side of things.

As long as you both know where you stand whats the problem ?

I'd be happy to fly with you on that basis, it sounds as though you have considered this up front and why should I dictate to you how you will be trained if you have no interest in a goal but want to fly to enjoy yourself.

There would be some people who would try and turn a public transport trip into a pseudo lesson, you I would hazard a guess are not one of those people.

Personally as the instructor I would probably have an off the record chat with the CAA to tell them that you were doing it this way and see what they say, no names need to be mentioned, I do it quite a lot and they have never questioned me about who or what I am talking about.

Gary
drrotorhead
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Befor a flight with a new student I sit down with him and discuss HIS objectives and how I can help him realizing his goals. Sometimes people just want to have fun so we go out and have fun.
If you are interested in a career trac we have to go by the book and standarisation.
MintedMav
'Torquing Regularly
'Torquing Regularly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did 4 helicopter trial lessons over the course of 10 years before starting to learn for real last year. Obviously the first trial lesson was pretty bog standard but each of the subsequent lessons the instructors were happy to show me / let me have a go at what I wanted. In the scheme of things this is pretty simple stuff like trying to hover, flying around a bit at altitude and being shown a couple of autos/close to ground/confined space work.

I felt like I got a lot out of each lesson and really appreciated the instructors being happy to go with what I wanted to see.

Obviously this is pretty much lost time in terms of when you actually start properly learning to fly the helicopter but was a lot of fun none the same.

Geoff
afterburner
H Addict
H Addict

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Your thoughts wanted Reply with quote

ORC wrote:
.....................do you think that taking this approach can be damaging in the long term, to the already slow progress of the student ?

You must consider your goal. If you simply want to get some stick time, then it's your 'dime', meaning your paying for the time to have fun. Any Instructor should be ok doing so.

If you expect to 'learn', then the time must be well spent and it is up to the instructor to structure a lesson.

Regardless of 'why' you fly, each flight should leave you with something new learned, and a renewed zest to fly!

Good luck,
AB
ORC
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies.

With the few lessons that I have already had, I have learned a lot and different things each time. I am coming to terms with not being able to fly very often and becoming more relaxed about the lesson's themselves. I will never give up however slow my progress, my intention is to enjoy every second of flight time that I get and stay within the limits at all times.

As it stands I get to fly when I can and if that becomes more frequent then I will take a more structured approach until then I will spend my "dime" as wisely and enjoyably as I can

Thanks again
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Instructor Forum All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: