New Yesterday: 0
Registering: 0
Members: 6662
Latest: chrisw

Most Ever Online
Visitors: 447
Members: 10
Total: 457

HeliTorque :: View topic - Should I Even Start?
Forum FAQ
Forum FAQ
Search
Search
Memberlist
Memberlist
Usergroups
Usergroups
Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Wannabes

Should I Even Start? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James T Lowe

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're planning on CPL/ATPL from the outset, you really ought to go for the Class 1 before you start.

Initial Class 1 medicals are carried out at the CAA - Aviation House, Gatwick. If you're travelling any distance (as you are from Leeds) I really would recommend that you travel down the night before, and stay in a hotel nearby - you're then fresh, and not at all stressed out by a four hour drive!

Class 2 initial, and renewals of Class 1 and 2 medicals can be done by your local Aviation Medical Examiner (AME).

Renewal intervals vary by age. As it stands at the moment, it's:
Class 1 - Under 40, every year. Over 40 every 6 months.
Class 2 - <40 every 5 years. 40-49 every 2 years. 50+ every year.
flingingwings
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like has been suggested, get a Class 1 medical before spending money on flying if you only want to ultimately fly for a living.

Initial medical is quite thorough.

To further add to your reading - look here for CAA medical info Smile

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=49&pagetype=68&gid=211

Another retailer of books and bits is www.transair.co.uk (no idea why I forgot them last time, other than old age)
bom
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on this:

Renewal intervals vary by age. As it stands at the moment, it's:
Class 1 - Under 40, every year. Over 40 every 6 months.
Class 2 - <40 every 5 years. 40-49 every 2 years. 50+ every year.

If you go for a class 1 but dont move onto CPL within 1 year, can you still operate as a PPL and not need another medical for 5 years (I'm under 40)or will the medical expire completely after 1 year?
James T Lowe

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The certificate is valid for the periods stated. i.e. Class 1 valid for 12/6 months, Class 2 valid for 60/24/12 months.

(There is another clause on the Class 2 - Class 2 certificates issued before 40th birthday, are not valid beyond 42nd birthday)

A Class 1 medical certificate does not imply Class 2 certificate as well.

(And to make matters even more complicated, for flight crew, that's all JAA certification - to hold an ATCO licence, you need a Class 1 UK CAA certificate. So, for two years, I've held Class 1 UK CAA, and Class 2 JAA, I can only fly on the Class 2! But even then, the CAA had to think about it...)
veeany

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall a rule change a couple of years ago that means 6 monthly medicals are now for over 50s only (Class 1 anyway).

I have no reference for this, but my medical agrees with it.
niho
'Torquing Regularly
'Torquing Regularly

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Lowe wrote:

A Class 1 medical certificate does not imply Class 2 certificate as well.

My medical states "A class 1 medical certificate is acceptable for class 2 privileges and validities" and has a "Expiry date of this certificate for class 2 privileges" 4 years later to that of the class 1 section...?
James T Lowe

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I sit corrected...! Wink
tonyboy
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i havent posted for ages!!! lol.

Just a quickie today...

hour building fom PPL to CPL...

how many hours per week/month do you think is the best rate?
1) lowest amount possible over longest time possible
2) best amount per week to balance hours per week and cost.
3) most hours per week if money was no object.

just recommended amount of hours for each of the above, trying to work out the costings for the hour building section to as near as i can get to. Smile

ta muchly!!
_Murdoch_
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys & girls!

So I'm another newbie on this thing & I'd be extremely grateful of your advice (apologies if this has already been covered & I've missed it):

Currently in the early days of my hr-building & want to get cracking with the commercial exams. I've spent a fair while weighing up the whole CPL/ATPL pro's & con's, but on the basis it's only an extra 4 exams & - I hope - will put me in a little better stead, I've chosen to go with the ATPLs. I'm holding down a 9-5 so it's going to take me a while & thus progress tests will keep me in check, but I've narrowed my decision down to two exam operators.

So now to my dilemma: I was going to go with Bristol, as I've not heard a bad word against them, but it's the interim ATPL(H) course... So, baring in mind ultimately the aim is to pass, then thumbs up for Bristol. But CAPT keeps popping up & has now thrown me my dilemma - ATPLs with them on the basis its heli-focused? Is this the heli-specific course? & if so is it a different set of exams in which case will the bristol Q bank really be much good? I'm confuuuuuused! Confused

Its alot of money & ultimately I just want to make sure I pass them all first time, but admittedly my enthusiasm is to learn about helis, not 737s Brick wall But then alot of the material is similar anyway right?

I plan to ring both parties, but I'd be keen for some third party advice!

Cheers everyone! Cheers!
DBChopper
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony,

I'm not sure anybody is going to be able to give you figures for those. As you've already alluded to, much of how you build your hours will depend on how much time and money you have at your disposal. For me, I have plodded along over the last ten years enjoying my flying and also enjoying not getting into horrendous debt over it, but then I also had no need to get it done quickly.

A friend who retired from the services sunk his commutation payment into it and therefore, without full-time employment, needed to get it done as quickly as possible. I suspect this is the case for many people who are looking for a complete career change and perhaps take out a large loan/mortgage to cover the cost of training.

So your number of flying hours will depend on how much money you have available to sink into it and how much time you have to spend sinking the money into it Smile I'm not being deliberately vague here, but you really have to gauge it depending on your own circumstances.

As an aside, I have enjoyed my flying over the past few years, although I wish I could have done it more frequently. A friend who did his training over a much shorter period needed to fly some 60hrs between his CPL and FI(R) courses and only had a month to do it - he said that by the end of that month he pretty much hated the sight of a helicopter...

And on the Class 1 medical matter, I've just double-checked mine (which I have just renewed) and the expiry date for single pilot air transport operations carrying passengers is in 6 months' time, for other commercial operations is a year and for Class 2 privileges is two years. So there Razz

CPL(H) finally!
R22 R44
Redhill
tonyboy
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: ATPL(H)/ CPL(H) Theory Reply with quote

Hi again all,

Quickie-

I want to study for the ATPL as it stands a better chance of being more useful, so my question is, where do i do this? do i have to buy the books from a website and then study and then sit the exams privately? or is it handled by the heli school? (Probably helicentre)....and how much does it cost? I have seen a couple of sites that are charging either 2500 or 7500 for the atpl theory course, surely there cannot be such a huge difference in the charges? I dont really think i will need any tuition as im quite bright and im sure i can get some help at a useful forum site i know Wink lol.

Thanks guys,
Tony
veeany

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAPT is the place to go, Phil knows his stuff and the course is the proper helicopter one, not some 737 thing (not a dig at Bristol they are very good at what they do).

Several schools stopped recommending CAPT purely on the basis of they lost some students to the operators based on the same airfield as CAPT used to be, as those schools have some very experienced instructors, whilst I can see the point from the other schools side financially it would be nice to see schools giving unbiased advice about who the best people to train with are.

Perhaps some of the schools out their should get better or more experienced instructors (catch 22 I know) and they might not lose their students to others so easily, these seemed to be the schools I have described above.
veeany

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

I've just checked mu Class 1 and despite me now being over 40 both of my expiry dates for single pilot and commercial ops are the same date.

So I dont think we can sort this out conclusively on what is being issued and probably need a look in FCL-3 and amendments or such like recently issued.

Edited to add
I've just had a look in FCL-3 and it seems that (if amendment 5 is current) then for single pilot public transport ops and being examined after you are 40 you Class 1 is valid for 6 months. If examined at 39 then your Class 1 is valid for 12 months. Which agree with both DBs medical and mine (which might make him older than me !)
DBChopper
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(which might make him older than me !)

Sadly, despite my youthful good looks, I suspect that is true. Just. Cool

CPL(H) finally!
R22 R44
Redhill
tonyboy
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: ATPL THEORY... Reply with quote

OK i have been looking at the CAPT site and have found the price to be around 2200ish. I do have a question though, i was reading the comparison for the CPL theory compairing the two, and came accross this passage directly copied from CAPT website....

Quote:
It may be worth considering taking the ATPL(H), always being aware that there is a time limit within which you must gain enough experience to unfreeze the ATPL(H) subjects (seven years). If you miss the time limit, you remain at the CPL(H) level and will have to retake the ATPL(H) exams later.

What does this mean? what does it mean by 'unfreezing the atpl subjects'?

Ta,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Wannabes All times are GMT

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: