New Yesterday: 0
Registering: 0
Members: 6662
Latest: chrisw

Most Ever Online
Visitors: 447
Members: 10
Total: 457

HeliTorque :: View topic - Should I Even Start?
Forum FAQ
Forum FAQ
Search
Search
Memberlist
Memberlist
Usergroups
Usergroups
Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Wannabes

Should I Even Start? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
veeany

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

I think this solves the mystery and backs up FCL-3 Amdt 5.

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=49&pagetype=90&pageid=531

Tony

If you pass the ATPL exams you don't have an ATPL you will after training and test get a CPL(H).

An ATPL requires a minimum no. of hours, an IR and a minimum amount of multi engine and multi crew time (about 350hrs a piece). So whilst it is more than possible to get an ATPL on the minimum hours required it is not the norm.

If you don't get your ATPL with 7 years of the last exam you need to redo some of them. I think having a current IR resets the 7 yr counter but I may be wrong about that and I am a bit busy to look it up.

Gary
tonyboy
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply gary. so if my aim is to get the FI and stick at that for a few years to build up some hours, do you think its a bad idea to go for the ATPL? I do ultimately aim to be offshore captain or soemthing not sure really, but i do want to be a captain i think...although what is the advantage of having the ATPL over the CPL theorys? is it worth doing in the long run? i do want to get the IR as i believe that is required for the offshore runs, but not really clear about it. mayb i should ring flingingwings and see what he reckons!! lol. I thought i had it all cracked and sorted in my head but this confuses things slightly, although i wont be starting either theory for at least 8 months so its not pressing Smile
flingingwings
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony,

Like you suggest this stuff is far easier to discuss verbally.

The link to LASORs will answer most of your questions Cool . Section J covers exams.

In essence you have no option other than to attend an approved course (be that distance learning or otherwise), the Chief Ground Instructor has to certify that you've received a minimum number of hours of theoretical training in order for the CAA to accept your exam booking (assuming its your first go at the exams, and there are no exemptions). So when you complete the distance study, you then attend the brush up course, the training provider books your exams, and you attend the exams right after the brush up course whilst all the info is fresh in yer grey cells.

In answering the other bits:

A pass in the ATPL theory examinations will be accepted for the issue of a CPL or IR during the 36 months from the end of the month of the date of the final pass in the examinations. Provided that an IR is passed with this period (the same 36 months) a pass in the ATPL theory exams will remain valid (for the issue of an ATPL) for a period of 7 years from the validity date of the most recent renewal IR entered on the CPL.

In English:
If you sit the CPL exams - you have 36 months from the end of the month during which you passed the final exam to obtain your CPL flight test pass. Should you not achieve this you'll have to re pass some of the exams to start the 36 month clock ticking again. If you subsequently decide to get an IR, you'll need to pass the IR set of theory exams prior to attending the practical IR course.

Alternatively you could sit the ATPL exams - you have 36 months (as above) to pass the CPL and if you want it an IR. Dont get an IR within 36 months, and you'll have to sit the IR set of theory exams (similar rules to the above) prior to attending the IR course. If you get an IR within the initial 36 months you will have a CPL licence, ATPL theoretical credits, and an IR aka CPL/IR. The ATPL requires a certain amount of experience (like Veeany has mentioned. Again LASORs will tell you what within Section G). You have 7 years from your last IR renewal to get this experience or you'll need to sit the exams again. Practically an IR needs revalidating every 12 months, so the 7 year bit is only an issue if you are not revalidating the IR. Get the required experience and pass an ATPL test flight and you're issued an ATPL.

Simples Smile

If there is any possibility of wanting an IR within 3 years, you might just as well sit the ATPL exams. You will need an IR (be it self funded or sponsored (if that resumes again) ) in order to work offshore.

IMHO I'd sit the ATPLs anyway. Its not a huge amount of extra work, if circumstances change within the 36 months you are ready, rather than having to book another theory course, and in any case should you need to sit the IR theory set later on, you'll have covered all the material once already and it will be easier to grasp second time round. CPL theory only is probably an option if you only ever intend to instruct or fly VFR.
GaviG
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: My random comment!! Reply with quote

flingingwings wrote:
Now you are getting closer Very Happy

The number within the PM is my work mobile - its on 24x7. No need to PM, feel free to call when you fancy. If i can't answer I call numbers back anyhow.

Everybody is different. I wont bore with too much detail:

Started flying aged 28, modular route - ppl,cpl, ATPL theory and FI whilst working as a Traffic cop.It took about 18 months. Funded by adding the bill to my existing mortgage. Worked as an FI for about 14 months. Loved the work. Hated my primary employer. Flew about 450-500 hours within that time, and training was busier then. I was pilot number 4, so did little to nothing aside from basic tuition. Then funded a MEIR by begging and borrowing from wherever. Began freelancing, after a contact introduced me to some straightforward twin day VFR work (the contact was the Ops manager there), flew about 4 charters. I was then in that right place at the right time! Freelanced for three and bit months for a major twin engined corporate outfit. Was recommended by them to my current employer. Joined one of the main onshore IFR charter operators as a salaried P2 (co-pilot) with about 800 hrs total time (the only one they've taken to date). Provided with type ratings on the two types operated. 18 months later I was given P1 (captain/command) on the smaller type operated and six months later still I was given P1 on the bigger type. The rest, as the saying goes, is history. Still with them (been here 4 years), employed, salaried, exclusively by the one company

My result - Luck. So not really a huge help.

Wowa! That was going to be my next question, I am 28 and considering Doing my PPL(H) and i was wondering if 28 was to late to start out in the industry....
But it looks like there possibly may be hope!! Smile
and also, A huge thank you to everyone, this one thread alone has answered Loads and Loads of my questions!!!

I have attended a carer seminar day with helicentre in Bournemouth, and i must recommend it to anyone thinking of starting out. They were extremely helpful, to the point and very UN biased.
They answered loads and loads of my dumb questions, and believe me! I had loads Smile you can find out more at http://www.flyheli.co.uk/seminars/

I have bought some of the PPL(H) books from Transair and started studying. Studying those books is the only thing keeping me sane on my Daily Commute to and from work everyday... The Only thing left is to find funds to start flying I Guess haha, so if any one has any ideas on how to do this without getting into debt, please let me know, it would be hugely appreciated haha, Garsh! But if not, ill find a way!!

Shocked

Thanks again...
_Murdoch_
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be a little worried if 28 was too old to start?!! I'm 27 & originally figured as long as I have my FI by the time I'm 30, I should be OK!! Still a long way to go yet & can't see myself getting there before 30, but in theory that leaves me with a potential ~30yrs in the industry Very Happy haha assuming I ever find work that is...! Confused
tonyboy
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well im glad to hear that my dumbass questions are also lots of other peoples dumbass questions haha. I know this thread has gotten quite long as there is some silly stuff on it, but thats the point its things people who know nothing about the industry are wondering.

My latest dumbass is...

I have very recently been donated (by a very kind member on here who will remain anonymous for now)...some Pooley's books. My question is this...

I bought a book off ebay as well prior to the donation, which one should i study? "Aviation Law & Meteorology - Air Pilot Publishing (http://www.pooleys.com/prod_detail.cfm?product_id=1009&PageNum_rs_product=1&product_category_id=0&product_sub_category_id=0

and the other one is "Aviation law & Operational Procedures - Cockburn (http://www.pooleys.com/prod_detail.cfm?product_id=555&PageNum_rs_product=1&product_category_id=0&product_sub_category_id=0

Which one would be recommended as they both seem current as they are obviously both on sale on pooleys? Is it just a matter of preference or do you think there is an advantage of one over another?

I also want to get the complete set of one or the other. The first ones (inc meteorology) series seem to be selling more but who knows? (hopefully you guys thats why im asking Smile )
GaviG
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, yet another question I had , Except its with Norman Baileys books "the helicopter pilots Manuel volumes 1 & 2" & "Principles of Helicopter Flight - Wagtendonk" I see there are similar books out there, and some places recommend one, and other places recommend the other.
so a similar question, is one better than the other, or is it preference.
Maybe better to get both and find out haha.
rjc
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all such books, they should cover the basic syllabus for PPL(H). Some include additional material over and above, which can be handy. Generally though, the writing style can make a big difference to how well you can absorb the information.

Some sites such a Google Books and Amazon will preview a few pages, which can help you see the writing style and the like. Best of all, visit a local flying school. Ask others doing training and see what they have, often there is a variety around and you can have a look. If push comes to shove, even ask the fixed wing chaps Shocked
doony
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: brilliant thread Reply with quote

i posted in announcements and comments when i should've just came straight here, duh!! been glued to this thread for the last hr and a half. was completely lost until i read some of your questions and the resulting answers. everything i wanted to know. don't want to butt in, but do you or some of the others think i'm too old to be starting out at 36? Anyway sounds like you are underway with your training, congrats, jealous of that and your age starting out but best of luck all the same
ALFA8C
H Addict
H Addict

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doony,

I'm 45 and have just started my PPL(H) although I don't have the time or finances to take it to the CPL stage!

A8C.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Wannabes All times are GMT

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: