New Yesterday: 0
Registering: 0
Members: 6662
Latest: chrisw

Most Ever Online
Visitors: 447
Members: 10
Total: 457

HeliTorque :: View topic - Gyrocopters not as cheap as they seem.
Forum FAQ
Forum FAQ
Search
Search
Memberlist
Memberlist
Usergroups
Usergroups
Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Anything Goes!

Gyrocopters not as cheap as they seem.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ORC
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Gyrocopters not as cheap as they seem. Reply with quote

In this "Age of austerity", which my children refuse to acknowledge as real, I was looking for other ways of getting airbourne which are a more affordable option. After a bit of a google and some reading I first looked at microlights which with lessons priced around 120 an hour (that includes hire of helmet, landing fees, vat etc) and if you do a bit of shopping round or buy block hours you can get that down to 100 an hour. Then I thought how about trying something a little more relevant to helicopters so i started to price up gyrocopter training. Prices are very similar to microlight's during training though a greater number of hours are needed to gain a PPL . Now this is the bit that shocked me. From the schools I have looked at there seem to be a lot of extra insurance costs involved before schools will allow you to fly their aircraft solo. There is an initial charge of 300-400 that has to be paid, which I assume would be like adding an extra driver to a car policy and then you need to pay 5000 and that is not a typo. A 5000 fully refundable deposit to cover any damage to the aircraft. If I had 5000 to hand over, all be it for just an hour or two my signiture strip at the bottom of this post would read very , very different Shocked

I copied this from a flight school website and from the ones I have seen this is pretty much the norm

"Our insurers place a 7,500 excess on the hull insurance for our machines. Before you can fly our aircraft solo you must lodge a deposit of 5,000 with us, which will (of course!) be returned to you when you finish your training - as long as you haven't broken our machine in the meantime. If you do seriosuly damage the aircraft whilst flying solo you will lose your deposit and be required to pay an additional 2,500 to cover the whole insurance excess.

There is also a one-off non-refundable fee of 340 to cover the additional insurance cover required to allow our students to fly solo on School aircraft."

I dont think you will be seeing me in a gyrocopter anytime soon Sad
Hughes500
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For helicopters the xs is normally 5% of hull value, (with Haywards anyway ). My sfh helicopters including the 500's are insured down to the first 1000. Remember if you sign the tech log as captain you are in charge of the machine and the owner may well come to you looking for the xs, just the same as a car if you hire one
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Anything Goes! All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: