New Yesterday: 0
Registering: 0
Members: 6662
Latest: chrisw

Most Ever Online
Visitors: 447
Members: 10
Total: 457

HeliTorque :: View topic - Anyone felt the need to jump out of airworthy aircraft?
Forum FAQ
Forum FAQ
Search
Search
Memberlist
Memberlist
Usergroups
Usergroups
Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Anything Goes!

Anyone felt the need to jump out of airworthy aircraft?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
niho
'Torquing Regularly
'Torquing Regularly

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Anyone felt the need to jump out of airworthy aircraft? Reply with quote

Decided to join the university skydiving society the other week and went to Langar for training last Saturday however it was too windy to actually do the jump on the Sunday. Will be going back sometime this week to do it but just wondered whether anyone else here's done it/does it regularly?

I'm just hoping if I start to chicken out someone kicks me out to force me to do it! Laughing
DBChopper
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niho - in answer to the question in your thread title, no I bloody havent! Laughing

CPL(H) finally!
R22 R44
Redhill
lancsman
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Why Jump? Reply with quote

Hi Nihon,

Yes I went on a freefall course. Completed the jumps and decided to try scuba diving.

I was told you are either bitten on the first jump or you go home and try something else. On the first jump I had two instructors one on either side and they ejected my from the plane, did not have time to be scared. By the eighth jump i was thinking and that was when I bailed out for the last time.

Enjoy it is an expereince I am glad I did.

Mark
GaviG
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got 10 jumps & 1 mal to my name...its the best feeling ever. i used to eat, sleep and dream skydiving. i just started to get a lil good, that is until i moved here, where i havent jumped since. now im fixated on getting my heli licence. (: do it, you wont regret it... and if ur shoot doesnt open, remember, out of 10 000ft of free fall, it the last half inch that hurts Smile
check out my lame video, not as cool as the others out there, but hey Smile www.youtube.com/hotboxprosa
RotorBez
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: flying without the engine Reply with quote

hahahah dropping from the sky without an engine...

Interesting thread for a helicopter based forum.

In terms of jumping / or not.

Yeah it is all good! Rolling Eyes The sensation is amazing and the peace and quiet is only equalled by rebreather diving! Both of which are fantastic!!!

The way to view it is like this.....

Try it - that will qualify you as to whether or not you like it! I will be honest with you however. The sensation of wilfully jumping out of a perfectly serviceable aircraft is not natural and will take time to develop.......errrrr strange really, a bit like breathing underwater Laughing

I hope you enjoy it!

WB
LoachBoy
H Addict
H Addict

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As per Wberesford's comments (although not tried a rebreather yet!).

Jumped with both square and round canopy....... make sure you use the square type (more than probable these days anyway) - it's much nicer, and more controllable.

Great sensation once you're under the canopy........ slightly tense standing on a wheel strut at 80-odd kts beforehand though!

Still, you've got to try these things! Shocked
lancsman
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: flying without the engine Reply with quote

Wberesford wrote:
Yeah it is all good! Rolling Eyes The sensation is amazing and the peace and quiet is only equalled by rebreather diving! Both of which are fantastic!!!
WB

Agree with this though I do prefare the rebreather. I could not get over the not wanting jump out the the aircraft part which is why I don't do it anymore. But I do still dive.

Mark
uniformkilo
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did one tandem jump at Langar, as part of a list of things I knew I should do before I was 40. Turned up, handed over cash, jumped, drove home.

The sheer violence of the deceleration, on deployment of the chute, was quite a surprise.

It was ok. I'm pleased I did it. I would recommend it to anyone interested in aviation. It reminded me of microlighting; I could see the fun of it, but it wasn't for me.

+44 7725 750103

CPL(H), FI(H)(R) R22 R44 206, offering trial lessons and PPL(H) courses at Aeromega in Cambridge. Experienced safety pilot for heli-trips for current and rated pilots looking for adventure.
niho
'Torquing Regularly
'Torquing Regularly

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I did it! Twice, in fact. And it was absolutely amazing. I did the RAPS course so I was on my own but no freefall for me at the moment but even so it was fantastic and glad I did it. Hopefully I'll be progressing on to freefall in a few jumps time and from the videos I've seen that's when the fun really starts.

Having done quite a bit of non-rebreather scuba diving, I see what was said about it being similar - both very peaceful - at least once you're sure the parachute has deployed correctly!
Boecopter
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

130+ jumps, really miss it...
paddywak
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did 3 static line jumps a few years ago at 214 in Cirencester, on the last attempt I flared too early and broke my coccyx ........ Shocked
To make matters worse I had to travel 30miles back on my motorbike stood on the foot pegs as I couldn't sit down. Laughing
Then spent 6 weeks sat on a bright pink latex doughnut... how embarrassing Embarassed
Given the chance though I would do it all again.................P.S.never tried a re-breather only hard hat and scuba, still enjoy heli's the best though
PilotWolf
H Addict
H Addict

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do so many helicopter pilots seem to engaged in high risk activities outside of flying?

W.
niho
'Torquing Regularly
'Torquing Regularly

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@paddywak: Ouch! Went again yesterday and was told to do my landing on my own without radio... Flared to early aswell and ended up landing moving backwards but luckily no damage. 4th jump I managed to land upright and was pretty chuffed with that!

@Pilotwolf: interesting question. I suppose I've done a few things that could be classified as medium/high risk activities: scuba diving to 40 meters, a bit of wreck diving, hang-gliding, now a few skydives, a tiny bit of snowboarding and of course flying helicopters! That said I really wouldn't classify myself as an adrenaline junkie, and of course wouldn't have attempted any of them if I wasn't confident in the training I'd received. I suppose it also has to do with how you view the risk - there are some things like riding motorbikes that many people do and I wouldn't dream of... Maybe flying helicopters just attracts the type of person who likes to live a little!
talkingcorpse
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant recommend skydiving enough, an to skydivers i know i cant recommend helicopters enough lol I learned to skydive outa Mil-8 helicopters in Russia and was more frightened of the heli ride up than the actual jumping out.
Boecopter
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why do so many helicopter pilots seem to engaged in high risk activities outside of flying?

Frank Borman (Gemini 7 and Apollo 8 astronaut) summed it up when he said:

"There is more to this life than just living"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Anything Goes! All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: