New Yesterday: 0
Registering: 0
Members: 6662
Latest: chrisw

Most Ever Online
Visitors: 447
Members: 10
Total: 457

HeliTorque :: View topic - Country for CPL(H)
Forum FAQ
Forum FAQ
Search
Search
Memberlist
Memberlist
Usergroups
Usergroups
Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Wannabes

Country for CPL(H)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RasmusBC
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Country for CPL(H) Reply with quote

Hi guys. I have been dreaming of getting the commercial pilot license for helicopters for quite some time now, that is if i Can obtain the medical documents required and some other factors Fall into place. I live in Denmark but would like to take the license abroad, I'm just not sure where.
I have gotten Canada, the U.S. and australia recommended, and that sounds good to me, but it goes without saying i will have to choose one.
I do realize that there is most likely not one universal answer to this question, but i would just like to be pointed in at least some direction by people who know about this stuff.
So my question is simply, which country is the best to take the CPL(h) in?
My main concerns are the quality on the training and the prospect of getting a job afterwards.

Thank you.

Regards,
Rasmus
haggishunter
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rasmus,

Welcome to HeliTorque.

I would recommend Bristow Academy in Florida. Ther have a wealth of experience there and can provide training for a variety of courses, FAA and JAA training. You will also find there some Danish and Norwegian instructors no doubt. Google them for their website which is full of info, also feel free to drop them a mail.

However I would also take a look at some schools closer to home, European Helicopter Centre in Norway (based at Sandefjord I think) and Bilund Air Centre in your homeland, have heard good things about both places.

Best of luck in you search for a school, remember sometimes it's better to pay more for good training then save money and learn bad habbits!

HH Very Happy

"When the tough gets going, the tough eat haggis!"
Heliwhore
H Addict
H Addict

australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes not a bad idea to train in the country you hope to work in. It doesn't always pay off, but you can make useful contacts whilst training. I know it doesn't always pay off, but sometimes it's useful just to be able to drop a name that you trained with/under someone...
zachelkins
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Quality of a school should not be based on price alone Reply with quote

I know you are looking for a school abroad, which sounds like not only an adventure, but also a way to get cheaper training. I am currently going to a school in Caldwell, Idaho, where the training is cheap and the cost of living is even cheaper. I will say this, the idea of getting better quality for more money may not necessarliy be true. Many schools in the U.S. will receive Veterans Benefits, or be in conjunction with a community college, watch out for their prices. Alot of times the schools will charge double because the governement is paying the bill, but there is nothing different about the instruction. I have seen students from these expensive schools that offer "better instruction" and they were not impressive. You need to get a an idea of the reputation of a school in the industry. Sometimes a cheaper school is just cheaper because it jsut costs less to run a school their. Our rates are $248/hour for dual in the R-22 and $425/hour for dual in the R-44. That includes everything, instructor, fuel, ect.. Total training from Private to CFII is on average about $60,000. We are part 141 school, we have to cheif pilots who we train with in conjunction to our instructors who have 10,000 hours plus. Find yourself a school that can fit your bill, I obviously found mine, so good luck on the search for yours.
flip2
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Country for CPL(H) Reply with quote

RasmusBC wrote:
So my question is simply, which country is the best to take the CPL(h) in?
My main concerns are the quality on the training and the prospect of getting a job afterwards.

When you say "prospect of getting a job afterwards" are you hoping to work overseas too?
If so, it is well worth looking into the work visa requirements beforehand.
If not, then don't forget to factor in the conversion costs when you return to Europe (unless you go to Bristow Academy)
Tomcat
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

france.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rasmus,

I would say that your first question is to kown where you want to work.

If you mainly want to work in EASA world, you should go for an EASA license.
If you wnat to gives you the best marketable option, to have a FAA and EASA licence would be the must.

I suggest you to check you real goal.
By experience to have both license is the best.

As said, you might consider a dual training in Bristow, but consider also, passing all your theoretical EASA in your contry, then go to USA for initial training within a school and get back to pass your EASA in your country, in this way you could save some money and have all option.

You could PM me if you want more information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Wannabes All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: