Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Wannabes

Distance learning - theory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy21
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Distance learning - theory Reply with quote

Hi All,

Let me start by introducing myself, my name is Andy, Iím 23 years old and live in the Channel Islands. Iíve been reading through the Forum as a guest member with interest and now have a couple of questions that I hope some of you will be able to help me with!

Basically, I would like to become a Commercial Helicopter Pilot. I have saved enough money to cover the cost of PPL(H), CPL(H), Flight Instructor and get some extra hours under my belt (based on average costs throughout the UK). I would like to train full time.

The area that I would like a bit of guidance in is the ground training/studying:

1. Are their any modules that are the same for both rotary and fixed wing that I could study for at my local aero club (fixed wing only
training)?

2. Would I be better to do all the training together with 1 club/school?

The reason I ask is that it would allow me to stay at home and in work to earn as much as possible before moving away Ė a sort of distance learning ideaÖ

Many thanks in advance for your help,

Andy
haggishunter
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,

Welcome to the forums!

In your PPL exams you have Air Law, Met, Flight Planning and the practical and written radio exams which you could do at your local club. These are the same for both fixed and rotary wing. All PPL exams are self study and you present yourself for the exam when you feel ready. You can also arrange a tutor to assist if you like, but that's personal choice.

For you CPL exams if you go through a school like Bristol Ground School or CAPT, then they will provide you with a distance learning course (home study). You will then attend a 2 week exam prep with them before sitting each set of exams.

I would try and get you PPL exams out the way so you can start on the CPL studying whilst finishing your PPL(H).

JAR-FCL 2 is the curreny european guidelines for helicopter flight and ground training. This will give you information on what is required for different courses and their associated theory requirements.

http://www.jaa.nl/publications/jars/607096.pdf

Feel free to ask more questions, there is a welth of knowledge and experience on these forums, also current students who would have at one point had the same questions as yourself.

HH Very Happy

"When the tough gets going, the tough eat haggis!"
flingingwings
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other useful resource being LASORs

Found here:
http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=175&pagetype=68&gid=2081
andy21
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaggisH / FlingingW

Many thanks for your replies.

That is good news that those modules cross over for fixed and rotary. I was hoping it would be the case and its nice to have an impartial view too.

There is indeed a wealth of knowledge on the site and I'm glad I stumbled accross it! I would like to have as much of the "paperwork" as possible out of the way before starting the practical part and hour building.

I will now try and get in touch with our local club to discuss some training - it may work out that its easier to just stick with one club but won't know without asking.

Thanks again

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Wannabes All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: