New Yesterday: 0
Registering: 0
Members: 6662
Latest: chrisw

Most Ever Online
Visitors: 447
Members: 10
Total: 457

HeliTorque :: View topic - Im not fat. Im big boned!
Forum FAQ
Forum FAQ
Search
Search
Memberlist
Memberlist
Usergroups
Usergroups
Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Wannabes

Im not fat. Im big boned!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marty55
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:48 am    Post subject: Im not fat. Im big boned! Reply with quote

Okay guys, heres the deal. Im 6'5 220lbs athletic. I play mens vball in college in California. Im not fat, but im big and strong.

I am going to get my PPL(H) this summer obviously in an R22. My ambition is to fly for a living, and this is the first step.

Now, one little thing is worrying me. If I can somehow get around becoming a flight instructor to get me into a job other than FI, then nevermind. This post is useless.

But, i doubt that. Or rather Am assuming that I will have to become an instructor. Nothing wrong with that! Teaching others to fly, getting paid, wow.

Anyways the problem comes in here. I will most likely be teaching the majority of my hours in an R22. Seeing as the R44 is almost double the cost. I am 220lbs. If my student is 220 lbs. We are going to be one big fan stuck in the cement.

So my question I guess would be what do I have to do? I can drop down to 200 with some effort. maybe 195. but 195-205 is the most likely range.

Will this work?
veeany

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:04 am    Post subject: I am not big boned I am fat. Reply with quote

I am not big boned I am fat.

For years I was 196lbs now I am 210-215, it is a problem in the R22, especially with a forward CofG, I can regularly be under MAUM but out of CofG if I were not careful.

I went on to teach in the 300, purely by coincidence so my less than scientific conclusion is the flying 300s makes you fat, and that R22s must be good for your health!

Being heavy doesn't stop you from becoming an FI but it can limit your opportunities.

Last edited by veeany on Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Hughes500
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary ( or is that fat bastard) the good life Shocked as CP is obviously getting to you
ORC
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm The "R22 diet" vs "Scheizer Spread" something else to factor into training costs ?
LoachBoy
H Addict
H Addict

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what its worth.....

I had to complete the night-rating for my CPL(H) in a 22...... I was about 205lbs at the time..... my insructor considerably less (probably about 12st)..... we could barely hold a hover!

I guess you'll get good at limited power take-offs and landings!!!
marty55
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i was at 220 and my instructor wasnt too small either, and ive been up for two lesssons already, and other than feeling a bid crammed (not because of him... just me not being able to fit great) we had no issues flying at all.

It is cold weather though.
DBChopper
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've come rather late to this thread but I'd like to resurrect it as it is a subject very close to my heart.

As a student PPL(H) some years ago I was given no input whatsoever on mass and balance issues re the R22. When I eventually asked for some input a few unintelligible figures were scribbled on a scrap of paper, leaving me none the wiser. As a result I thought that M&B were not really an issue with the R22 - to quote one of VeeAny's phrases, "you don't know what you don't know."

There were many times during my PPL training, and as a result, subsequently, that I was probably over MAUW, or outside the CofG envelope, or probably both. I have flown with both instructors and examiners who I am sure put us over the limits.

I am 6'4" and 210lbs. Even losing my hair has not made that much difference to my weight, so I have to be very careful who I fly with and - and this is really important - which helicopter we fly, as their mass and CofG position vary a great deal. Put simply, there are some R22s I can fly with some people and some I can't, even on the same fleet, due to mass & balance issues.

Matters came to a head for me looking for a 170A signatory and a CPL(H) examiner as it seems there are probably only two examiners in the country I can fly with. This started me thinking about my future as an instructor. Seeing as there are probably many students I will be unable to fly with in the '22 I have decided to add the Schweizer 300 to my licence to widen my options. I may even have to do the course on the 300 if I can't find an instructor who can fit with me in the '22.

marty55 - if, as you say:
Quote:
Well i was at 220 and my instructor wasnt too small either

then I urge you to sit down with them and make them prove you are within limits, because from my experience you won't be.

CPL(H) finally!
R22 R44
Redhill
PilotWolf
H Addict
H Addict

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the MAP limits too being in sunny California!

I am now fatter than when I learnt at Long Beach - I'm sure my CFI is too - so we tend to limit our flying together to the EC120 now Wink There is or was one R22 with could fly together in but pretty much limited to on airfield recurrent stuff due to the amount of fuel we could upload.

W.
LoachBoy
H Addict
H Addict

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB, does this mean I should stop losing my hair if it doesn't really help??? scratch
DBChopper
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Although on the plus side it makes your headset fit more comfortably and the purchase of one set of clippers saves a fortune in visits to the barbers. So, every cloud, eh? Smile

CPL(H) finally!
R22 R44
Redhill
flip2
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the upside, at least when you move on to bigger types you won't have to carry ballast to get up to minimum crew weight!
Smile
LoachBoy
H Addict
H Addict

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Flip2's approach.

I'm off for a pie.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Wannabes All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: