New Yesterday: 0
Registering: 0
Members: 6662
Latest: chrisw

Most Ever Online
Visitors: 447
Members: 10
Total: 457

HeliTorque :: View topic - I'm not fat either.........but bigger boned!
Forum FAQ
Forum FAQ
Search
Search
Memberlist
Memberlist
Usergroups
Usergroups
Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Wannabes

I'm not fat either.........but bigger boned!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jumboross
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: I'm not fat either.........but bigger boned! Reply with quote

Hello All

A similar query to another one on this board but I'm even bigger - 6'4" and 300lbs. Again not fat - was a professional rugby player - but big and heavy.

I'd like to have a crack at the PPL(H) and I think I need to consider a couple of variables - my weight and my location.

From what I've read an R22 will not work with me and an instructor. I think the 300C might (?) and I guess the R44 will? So some advice on what machine I'll need would be appreciated.

Also I live in Essex and ideally wouldn't want to travel too far to learn I see plenty of R22 and R44 flying in Essex but nothing with a 300C (if indeed I'm not to heavy for one of these). Does anybody offer PPL(H) training on the 300C in or near Essex?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

James.
James T Lowe

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi James,

Welcome to Helitorque!

Just to confirm your thoughts - definitely over the 240lbs seat limit on the R22. The R44 Raven II seat limit is 300lbs, so you're on the cusp there. Sorry, can't help on the 300.

I wonder if turbine options might be worth considering?
flip2
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the 300C has a cabin limit of 600lb rather than an individual seat limit. And, of course, lateral CG limits.
WhirlyGirl
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome jumboross!

The 300 is probably your best bet. There is no seat limit, but instead there's a 600lb cabin limit (i.e. between the two seats). You'd have your work cut out trying to exceed that with a regular to large instructor on board, however you still have to take fuel into account and if you've used most of the cabin limit there probably won't be a lot of available weight left play with (depends on the basic empty weight of the machine - they are all slightly different).

Take a small instructor!! On our single tank 300 I have been able to take full fuel with most of the students I've flown with. Occasionally we are limited slightly but not anything like it would be in the R22. You also have to check you are within limits laterally, but with the fuel tank on the opposite side to you (normally this is the case, although there are some twin tank models about) generally this is not a big problem. When you start flying your instructor will show you how this works, so you understand the importance of not ending up out of C of G during the flight.

You've still got to be careful with Turbines, not so much with weight but with Centre of Gravity - we have one JetRanger which due to the equipment fit, has a basic empty C of G that is a couple of inches forward compared to a lot of the JetRangers we operate. I did a weight and balance for me and a passenger recently and it was apparent that we couldn't fly and be within C of G with any less than 50 USG fuel on board PLUS 150lb of baggage in the boot! A bit limiting if you want to fly for anything more than an hour. Finding 150lb of ballast was the biggest challenge!

I think the 300 will be your best option, but it will also depend on your physical shape. If you would like to come over to Leicester and have a sit in a 300 let me know - you'll be able to tell if you can move the controls fully and get a better feel for whether you'll be comfortable sat in the cockpit. I'm not sure if there's one closer to you in Essex. They're a bit few and far between unfortunately.

Best wishes,

Sarah
Hughes500
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speak to Gary at Manston they have a 300cbi !
Hughes500
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I should have added that on my 300C's there is a600 pound cabin limit. However I instruct regularly a guy who is 6ft 6 ins and 18 st, iam an ex wasps player so I am 220 lbs. The 2 of us together no problem until you put 49 gals of fuel in, then its interesting
veeany

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've got one at Redhill nr Gatwick, not exactly Essex but easily reached.
jumboross
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all very much for your replies - all very informative and helpful. Looks like the 300C is the way to go. Busy moving house at the moment but I think I'll get myself a trial in one when I'm out of the chaos of moving.

Once again, thanks for all the information.

James.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Wannabes All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: