HeliTorque Forum Index » Wannabes

A Wannabe looking for advice Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boxhacker
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi HeliWhore,

Thanks for the reality check, I was assuming that was what she meant. Looking like a tough industry for the newcomer to get into, gives me even more determination to succeed. Unfortunately i couldn't afford the bristow route anyway so ill just be plodding along at my own pace depending on funds.

Cheers

Clark

(Sorry for jacking your thread Draxtor) Laughing
haggishunter
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are banging away at an hour a week here and there then i would say save your money, wait a few years and then do it at Bristow or full time in the UK. Its cheaper the more regularly you can fly.

Age is not a problem... HeliWhore is ancient and he still got a job.

"When the tough gets going, the tough eat haggis!"
Draxor
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got back from Whirlygirls seminar and got a lot out of it, thank you very much Sarah, very informative and helpful.

If it wasn't for the very long drive and the 25 odd quid in fuel that it cost me to get there and back I think I would be signing up there and then. However short of me or my partner getting work up that way, relocating up that way probably isn't an option.

So it looks like I will have to investigate the schools in my more local area; Bristol/Gloucester way. Anyone that can help me with that, offer some suggestions, advice, warnings or whatever, please pm me I would greatly appreciate it. So once I've settled on a school, I think I will do a discovery day just to really check this is what I want, but at present oh boy yes yes please sign me up now Very Happy
Draxor
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all. I'm booked in to do an onsite visit of my local flight schools and I'm getting quite excited about it. I think I will most likely book a Discovery day with my chosen school just to really double check this is what I want and then will probably continue saving till early next year to really make a good start.

I'm tempted to take a week or two off work and use it to get a good start on my flight training, it would mean saving up a bit more, but would probably speed things up in the long run. Or do people think I would be better off just doing it on weekends 2-3 hours a week?

I do have a question about course materials. It seems that most schools will sell you all the books you need with a bag for a set price, and Pooleys seems to have 2 different packages on sale. Amazon also seems to have some books available to buy and I've not even looked at Ebay yet.

So can anyone please offer some advice on where is a good place to get the course materials? I would quite like to get a start on the reading material before I start next year, but don't want to buy the wrong thing. Also, If I plan on going to CPL and FI level later, are there things it would be worth investing in now like a better flight computer ect?

Thanks in advance all Very Happy
LoachBoy
H Addict
H Addict

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only advice I would give on the latter...... don't buy a Pooleys CRP-5! 3 or 4 of us had one on my CPL(H) and they are simply not accurate enough...... I have always kept mine in its protective wrapping and the printing is too thick/blurred to get sufficiently accurate figures for many of the questions. (And no DB..... it wasn't the operator on this occasion!!! Rolling Eyes )

There are 2 or 3 other makes out there that are of a much better manfacturing quality (especially the metal one), with much clearer markings!
DBChopper
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoachBoy wrote:
(And no DB..... it wasn't the operator on this occasion!!! Rolling Eyes )

Well, really. As if! Toffy Nose

I have to agree though. The quality of mine was awful - it even started to fall apart during the CPL exams (the reason for my Nav failure by 1%, obviously...). They certainly left out the A when they named them CRP...

CPL(H) finally!
R22 R44
Redhill
PilotWolf
H Addict
H Addict

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course if the CAA actually got sensible all you would have to worry about is making sure your flight computer had new batteries...

But of course if you fail due to using a piece of kit from Noah's days then you'll have to give them more money for the resit...

Cynical? Moi? YES!

PW.
LoachBoy
H Addict
H Addict

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DBChopper wrote:
LoachBoy wrote:
(And no DB..... it wasn't the operator on this occasion!!! Rolling Eyes )

Well, really. As if! Toffy Nose

I have to agree though. The quality of mine was awful - it even started to fall apart during the CPL exams (the reason for my Nav failure by 1%, obviously...). They certainly left out the A when they named them CRP...

Well, I did say the quality of printing was CRP, did I not???

And only DB could actually find an emoticon (isn't that a model of SEAT???) that is called "toffynose"!!! Splendid work!!!
Draxor
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've just come back from visiting my local flight schools and I think I've picked a winner. It was very interesting and informative talking to the instructors and students and getting different takes on things. A lot of info to process and my head hurts slightly, but it's all good.

I even got to watch Richard Hammond land in an R44 about 20 feet away from me, pick up his friend and take off again. That was quite cool Cool

So now I feel another step closer to realising the dream. Next step, do a discovery day. If I'm not 100% certain after that then I wont spend the money on going further. However if it confirms what my gut is telling me, then it will be the first 2 hours logged on what I hope will be a great adventure.

I think I will get books as and when I need them along with other bits of equipment, the starter packs seem all well and good but not for me.

Now, time to go book my discovery day i think! Very Happy
Draxor
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've just come back from my Discovery day and boy what a day! Very Happy I've still got a big smile on my face and now feel quite certain that this is something I have to continue with.

I was really pleased with my instructors reactions to my flying and am still buzzing from being in full control of the copter when hovering, didn't die and kept it in the same airfield! I even got to land the copter while in full control (albeit only from about 10 feet) and had a mindbending time getting to grips with all 3 controls for the first time. A very tiring but brilliant day, I can't wait for more!

Next step then I guess is get myself booked for a C1 medical and get myself some books.

Which books to start with then? Air Law, meteorology and some principles of flight books? Are there any particular ones that people would recommend and places to get them from?

A big thanks to people on here also, I've learned a lot of very usefull info from this site so far and I'm sure I will continue to do so.
LoachBoy
H Addict
H Addict

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start with Air Law & Ops as you'll need to have passed those exams before you can solo!

Human Performance is also worth doing - it gets it out of the way, and gives you a bit of an idea of what you're going through, and why you react as you do!
James T Lowe

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draxor, I think most tend to go for the Trevor Thom/Pooley's series of "Air Pilot's Manuals"

Transair's reasonable for aviation related goods, but I dare say they are available from all good booksellers.

Principles of flight books are a little trickier to recommend for helicopter studies. I used Waktendonk's Principles of Helicopter Flight; but there are others around, which I'm sure are just as good, and probably a bit more readable... Wink
Boxhacker
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi drax

Just wondering how your learning is going, have you found a school yet and embarked on the long journey? I have passed my class one today and shall be starting the journey in the next few months.

Regards

Clark
Draxor
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heya Boxhacker,

I had my class 1 at Gatwick yesterday and got declared fit to fly Very Happy Made me realise I could stand to lose a bit of weight though and eat a bit less cheese, but nothing to overly worry about.

I'm now about 8 hours into my training and loving it. Last session I was doing circuits from take off, transition and landing without any input from my instructor, though I did overshoot the spot a bit Razz I'm sort of getting the hover, though still somewhat wobbly at times, but it gets better the less I think about it.

At the moment I'm trying to get my head stuck in the books and if I could recommend anything to you while you are waiting to start it would be to get a good headstart on the reading. Air Law is dreadfully dull but the rest is interesting to me at least. Get a good handle on the principles of flight and much of what they are saying will make more sense so help you learn quicker, I kinda wish I had more time to learn before I started, but oh well.

I look forward to hearing from you when you get round to starting!
Draxor
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today was a momentous day indeed! After just over 14 hours I did my first solo circuit!! Very Happy Absolutely chuffed to bits!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Wannabes All times are GMT

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: