Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Wannabes

FI or IR?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_Murdoch_
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: FI or IR? Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

After 3 and a half years of plugging away at the day job to fund it all, I've finally made it from 'wannabe' to CPL(H)! And I'm over the moon!!! Very Happy

Champagne aside though...... I'm fully aware the CPL is worthless on its own. So I now find myself at a major crossroads & would be extremely grateful of input from you all.....

Q: Which is most likely to kick-start a career; FI route, or IR route?

I appreciate a lot of you would suggest it's mere preference, but I would be genuinely happy following either path, with positives for a career in either. I just desperately want to make the right decision that will put me in the best position to find work / get that first break into the industry.

I welcome all comments on this; positive, negative, from those of you who've experience with either or?

Many thanks in advance Smile
James T Lowe

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, Murdoch! Hard work rewarded! Cool
_Murdoch_
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks James!

The hardest bit (apart from hemorrhaging money from every piece of plastic in my wallet for the last 3-odd years, but that's on-going..!) was all the ATPL exams, they don't half drag on don't they?!

Just what to do next?! Confused but I'm hoping all of you pro's can advise! Very Happy
LoachBoy
H Addict
H Addict

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Murdoch, well batted on the CPL(H)!

You're right to ask, however..... how long is a piece of string?

Couple of questions to ask upfront - how much do you want to earn? Where do you want to work? Any ties?

I got my CPL a few years ago now and am just revisiting this question as I have to make that same decision.

A couple of friends have recently been making enquiries about my current status, indicating lots of recruitment activities in their respective parts of the US and Asia. Great if I had just a couple of hundred hours more..... and an IR!

If you're glued to the UK, and not to fussed about decent income for a few years, then FI is probably the way to proceed.

I dare say other here will have different views to that! As a wise man recently said to me, this industry is very much right place, right time!
_Murdoch_
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Loachboy,

In answer to your Qs, as long as I can earn enough to survive on that's fine (that said, is ~20K unrealistic for a self-employed UK FI?). Happy to work anywhere, UK or abroad. In the long run I'd like to return to the UK, but if I thought I could work abroad for a few years I'd jump at the chance. Even if I got into the industry in the UK I'd like to work overseas for a few years at some stage. Ties? None, except the day job which is essentially funding it all.

Only thing that concerns me about overseas, is I have no contacts there. It'd be a huge leap of faith even with a bit of research & planning. I'd want to get a few positive contacts before I packed my bags & risked an 'expensive vacation'.

My original plan was FI here, going 110% to get work with it, then maybe using that to gain hrs & money for an FAA IR; if 'right place right time' were to get me a permanent FI / charter job in the UK then perfect. If that never happened, I'd use the FAA IR to unlock overseas work maybe?

I never know whether this is just naive wishful thinking or achievable? I'd like to think I'm realistic; I'm fully aware I may end up an unemployed FI (R).. which scares me.

Are you considering working overseas then Loachboy? Would you do the FAA IR or JAA IR if so? I'd be interested to hear your 'game plan' if you're happy to share?! Wink
LoachBoy
H Addict
H Addict

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Murdoch,

I suspect, due to ties & age, it will be the FI route in the UK... However, overseas opportunities will def remain in the radar!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Wannabes All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: