Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Student Pilots & Hour Builders

Hour builder
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardthrottle
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Hour builder Reply with quote

Hi im new pilot passed out in may on R22. How do I progresd from here.
MintedMav
'Torquing Regularly
'Torquing Regularly

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what you mean by "progress".

Hour building is your next task if you are thinking of a career in helicopters. Otherwise just enjoy your flying, go places and do things.
PilotWolf
H Addict
H Addict

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta say it....

If you passed out on the 22 the CAA will probably take away your medical! Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy

Welcome.

W.
haggishunter
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough question? What do you want to do?

If you want to have a career in flying, ie. a CPL licence, then I would be worried that your school/instructor hasn't discussed this with you beforehand.

HH

"When the tough gets going, the tough eat haggis!"
hardthrottle
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaggisHunter wrote:
Tough question? What do you want to do?

If you want to have a career in flying, ie. a CPL licence, then I would be worried that your school/instructor hasn't discussed this with you beforehand.

HH

Yes, I never thought of that. Are you trying to say im not good enough
hardthrottle
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MintedMav wrote:
Depends what you mean by "progress".

Hour building is your next task if you are thinking of a career in helicopters. Otherwise just enjoy your flying, go places and do things.

I want to progress to a cpl ,but I could only do it around my work and am worried it could take 3 years and alot of money with also me being 44 . Would I get employment from it in any capacity.
PilotWolf
H Addict
H Addict

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you based?

Will make a fair bit of difference to the costs, etc.

W.
haggishunter
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am definitely not saying that you are not good enough.

Your question was alittle vague, I read it as though you were not sure as to the next step towards a CPL. Sorry for any confusion on my part.

A good starting point is to take a look at LASORs or JAR-FCL 2. These documents lay out the guidelines for training and licensing requirements in the UK and Europe and will give you a clear idea of what is involved.

Since you have mentioned training around your working time, you will be looking for a modular course, where you hours build, pass the CPL or ATPL theory examinations, then complete a modular flying course with skills test. All of which can be done at your own pace, apart from the exams which have to be completed within a set time period, 18 months if I remember correctly.

With regards to your age, yes, it may cause some problems if you are thinking about offshore flying, generally they tend to take on younger pilots who can potentially spend most of their career with them. As for instructing then that is a little easier as the turn over rate for instructors is higher as people move on to other sectors of the industry.

Many people here will be able to tell you about the financial aspects. It is a gamble, but talking to schools and operators about their employment opportunities and future prospects will give you and idea of the way the industry is going in the next few years.

Like any course it is always best to devote maximum time to it, the longer the gaps between training, the more you will have to catch up on, and the more it will cost in the long run. But finding the balance is possible with some planning and preparation.

Hope this helps,

HH

"When the tough gets going, the tough eat haggis!"
hardthrottle
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaggisHunter wrote:
I am definitely not saying that you are not good enough.

Your question was alittle vague, I read it as though you were not sure as to the next step towards a CPL. Sorry for any confusion on my part.

A good starting point is to take a look at LASORs or JAR-FCL 2. These documents lay out the guidelines for training and licensing requirements in the UK and Europe and will give you a clear idea of what is involved.

Since you have mentioned training around your working time, you will be looking for a modular course, where you hours build, pass the CPL or ATPL theory examinations, then complete a modular flying course with skills test. All of which can be done at your own pace, apart from the exams which have to be completed within a set time period, 18 months if I remembe
correctly.

With regards to your age, yes, it may cause some problems if you are thinking about offshore flying, generally they tend to take on younger pilots who can potentially spend most of their career with them. As for instructing then that is a little easier as the turn over rate for instructors i
higher as people move on to other sectors of the industry.

Many people here will be able to tell you about the financial aspects. It is a gamble, but talking to schools and operators about their employment opportunities and future prospects will give you and idea of the way the industry is going in the next few years.

Like any course it is always best to devote maximum time to it, the longer the gaps between training, the more you will have to catch up on, and the more it will cost in the long run. But finding the balance is possible with some planning and preparation.

Hope this helps,

HH

Hi haggis , thanks for your advice. I need to get the appropiate hours anyway to to do the cpl. So I will just enjoy my flying at the moment. I didnt mean that you implied that I was not good enough. I was asked about the cpl a long time ago when I was still trying for my ppl ,what my goals were for flying. I said I wanted to go as far as to be a instructor. But I want to find a good school and maybe do the course in blocks. Where I can take time off work,cause I do shift work and complete it in a shorter amount of time .Do you know of any training schools which fits the bill.
paddywak
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most schools will accommodate your needs, but remember the more you spread out your training the more expensive it becomes with keeping current, check rides and LPC's, medicals, etc.
Ive spent 4 years so far and just started the CPL course ....38000 so far and counting Shocked
PilotWolf
H Addict
H Addict

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if he is in the USA he could do the FAA CPL and CFI for around $20000/12500.

Location, location, location! Smile

W.
hardthrottle
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paddywak wrote:
Most schools will accommodate your needs, but remember the more you spread out your training the more expensive it becomes with keeping current, check rides and LPC's, medicals, etc.
Ive spent 4 years so far and just started the CPL course ....38000 so far and counting Shocked

so paddywack do you mean you have spent 38000 just flying, and just started the cpl course. I really dont understand your message. Please elaborate. Thanks
_Murdoch_
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardthrottle,

At a guess I'd say he means on the whole effort so far, i.e. to get him to the point of pre-CPL course... I finally got my CPL this year (nearly 4yrs in on my master plan; yr behind my original objective) and costs are, at a very vague & conservative (thus the 'greater-than' symbols) guess:

ppl = ≥13K
theory exams = ≥2K
hr-building = ≥20K
CPL = ≥13K

Total so far with 50hrs to build & FI course outstanding: I'd prefer not to add it up.. Shocked

Arguably there's savings to be made doing it quickly, avoiding LPCs etc etc, but for me, those additional costs are nothing in comparison to the overall costs & reality that my 9-5 pays me oh-so-much; no more no less, every month; no sooner, no later.

Tough gig but I reckon it'll be worth it Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Student Pilots & Hour Builders All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: