Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Flight Dynamics

Kit-helo/homebuilt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neocortex
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Kit-helo/homebuilt Reply with quote

Has anyone done a homebuilt? I"m looking to do one in the future but not sure of any. Was looking at the following:

http://www.rotorway.com/index.html
R22-Adam
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked into this a while ago, as Rotorway seem to be the only decent kit around, although there is a French one around which may be better.

The Rotorway kit is very good, although a lot of people don't think they're safe. The major issue is how well it is built, but that's down to you, the builder! The main problem is that the CAA inspector cannot get to all the bits to check it properly. However, Rotorway do offer a huge amount of support, and come along and do inspections every month or so, and are very happy to help you out with anything you get stuck with.

I would recommend a visit to their workshop near Stansted some time, as they are very friendly there, and you can arrange a free demo ride with them too.

There are only two instructors in the UK for this machine, one of which is the only UK CAA inspector for that particular machine, so a little bit more planning would be required for any training. I believe the US factory also do training though, and have a lot more resources.

I personally think the machine is great looking, and is nicely kitted out inside. The one main sticking point for most people is the tail rotor drive system, which is done with belts rather than a drive shaft, although they are working on a modification for this.

That said, the accident rate for this machine is low, and certainly no worse than for R22's, as far as I know. Most accidents being caused by pilot error, which is the same on many machines.

You can also pick up a fully built machine from Rotorway for about ??50,000. They had a couple that were built by people who then had to sell them on due to divorce etc.

A few people I know are interested in a share in this machine, including myself, but it never really got off the ground.

Feel free to message me privately if you want to have a chat over the phone about my experiences with this machine etc.

oi_martin
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Neocortex

Don't know much about building Helos from a kit, but something you may like to watch, is a programme called "A Chopper is Born", this was part of a series of A ....... is Born.
A Chappie, Mark Evans, builds a Rotorway Exec from scratch and there were parts showing how each section went together.

It appears to be available from Amazon on DVD, try this link.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00011FY6S/qid=1129806946/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/026-6945155-8654009

Cheers
Martin
James T Lowe

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: A Chopper is Born Reply with quote

A Chopper is Born was aired in 2002 - it has a microsite on i2i's web site:

http://www.i2itelevision.com/chopper.php

Very entertaining programme, I thought! (I've still got it all on video, but Discovery frequently show repeats of it)
Flying Foxy
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, I was going to mention that video (I have it on DVD). It is MOST entertaining as Mark Evans is JUST the man for the job - he is smart, witty and an absolute natural with the camera. The heli gets built and followed right through and the first thing he does is visit the factory and talk to the people there. After that, virtually every procedure is carried out on film so it's like having a video guide to assembly. There are some tricky bits but he gets round these with very able help from a few engineers who just happen to be there or on call!

Very well produced and includes that CAA man doing the test flight and passing the one they built - it's then shown flying around etc.

Highly recommended.

FF

P.S. I visted the firm when they were in Chirk (N. Wales) and spent a good while there talking to self builders in the factory who were doing mods or actually building. That would be about 15 years ago now as they have moved (see earlier posts on the location)

oi_martin
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that Mark Evans is also a qualified vet, so putting his arm into awkward places during construction, was quite natural for him.

Sorry to lower the tone!!

Martin
James T Lowe

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed he was a vet - presented Pet Rescue on Channel Four before doing the Is Born series. His website is http://www.markevans.co.uk/ (You'd have never guessed!) - looks like the Is Born series is available from his website too.

Incidently, G-CBJV, the helicopter built in the programme, had a bit of a mishap last year - rolled over in a field, during shutdown. AAIB report here
tangovictor31
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: rotorway site Reply with quote

Im unsure if your still interested in RW heli ? however, this UK guy has a great and very formative site, re building a RW in the UK
http://www.cbsair.co.uk/
heliaviator
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swerve, a helitorque member, built his own Rotorway Exec
I'm sure he would give you some good advice
aviatorjames
'Torquing Regularly
'Torquing Regularly

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Heli-Cycle Reply with quote

Check out the HeliCycle website. It's turbine powered and looks pretty nice. The website has lots of good video and pic's.

http://www.helicycle.com
oldmoney1959
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took this photograph - which is now in the Civil Helicopters section of the 2006 Contest:

http://www.helitorque.com/albums/album76/aah.jpg

Obviously a kit - though I have not seen another such helicopter at an airshow or flying about. It was so quite, it was nearly stealth.

- Gar
beastie
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: rotorway Reply with quote

you may want to check this web site before making your own heli
[www.epi-eng.com/RW__TOC.htm]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Flight Dynamics All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: