New Yesterday: 0
Registering: 0
Members: 6662
Latest: chrisw

Most Ever Online
Visitors: 546
Members: 0
Total: 546

HeliTorque :: View topic - Hamed Sooden & The Other Idiots Rescued in Baghdad.
Forum FAQ
Forum FAQ
Search
Search
Memberlist
Memberlist
Usergroups
Usergroups
Contact Manager
Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » The Bar

Hamed Sooden & The Other Idiots Rescued in Baghdad.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heli-Ops
H Addict
H Addict

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Hamed Sooden & The Other Idiots Rescued in Baghdad. Reply with quote

I know I will probably get attacked for this but am going to say it anyway.

Why the hell did the military bother to rescue those three idiots in Iraq. The group they belong to goes around to all these warzones preaching peace etc and in this case they knowingly went into a hot war zone, where westerners are under direct threat of capture and execution, and tried to preach their message. Give me a friggin break.

Was anybody really surprised when they were kidnapped, was anyone really surprised that 4 western idiots walking the streets of baghdad without protection were singled out. NO.

They even made a statement that if they were kidnapped (DUH), then they did not want to be rescued by the use of force. What the hell did they expect people to do, write a nice letter to the Al Qaeda head office and ask for their release.

Sorry but I think they are plain bloody idiots and to make it worse Sooden is refusing to give the rescuers any info on other hostages they saw because they dont want the military to use force to rescue the others. What a bloody moron.

Anyway thats my two cents worth on the subject.

anuva brilyant mynd rooind buy tha publick ejakayshun sistum
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Name
Heli-Ops
H Addict
H Addict

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Released hostages 'refuse to help their rescuers'
By Oliver Poole in Baghdad
(Filed: 25/03/2006)

The three peace activists freed by an SAS-led coalition force after being held hostage in Iraq for four months refused to co-operate fully with an intelligence unit sent to debrief them, a security source claimed yesterday.

The claim has infuriated those searching for other hostages.

Neither the men nor the Canadian group that sent them to Iraq have thanked the people who saved them in any of their public statements.

One of them, Norman Kember, 74, a retired physics professor, of Pinner, north-west London, was in Kuwait last night and was expected to return to Britain today. He is understood to have given some helpful information.

He provided details of the semi-rural area north-west of Baghdad where he was held and confirmed that his captors were criminals, rather than insurgents. Their motive was believed to be money.

The two Canadians kidnapped with Mr Kember - Harmeet Sooden, 32, and Jim Loney, 41 - were said to have been co-operative at first but less so on arriving at the British embassy in Baghdad after being given the opportunity to wash, eat and rest.

Previous hostages have been questioned on everything from what shoes their kidnappers wore to the number of mobile phones they had. The pacifist Christian Peacemaker Teams with which the men were visiting Iraq is opposed to the coalition's presence and has accused it of illegally detaining thousands of Iraqis.

Jan Benvie, 51, an Edinburgh teacher who is due to go to Iraq with the organisation this summer, said: "We make clear that if we are kidnapped we do not want there to be force or any form of violence used to release us."

Although the CPTs has welcomed the men's release, it has not thanked the rescuers in any of its statements. It blamed the kidnapping on the presence of foreign troops in the country, which was "responsible for so much pain and suffering in Iraq today".

When told how angry the coalition was feeling, Claire Evans, a spokesman for the CPTs in America, said: "We are extremely grateful to everybody who had a role leading to the men's release."

Iraq factfile

Mr Kember, in a statement through the embassy, said: "I have had the opportunity to have a shave, relax in the bath and a good English breakfast. I am very much looking forward to getting home to British soil and to being reunited with my family." He did not publicly thank his rescuers.

Tony Blair, in Brussels for an EU summit, said: "I'd like to say how pleased I am that he was released and pay tribute to the extraordinary courage, dedication and commitment of the British, American, Iraqi, Canadian and other forces that were involved."

Gen Sir Mike Jackson, the chief of the defence staff, told Channel 4 News: "I am slightly saddened that there does not seem to have been a note of gratitude for the soldiers who risked their lives to save those lives."

Asked if he meant that Mr Kember had not said thank you, he said: "I hope he has and I have missed it."

It emerged that about 50 soldiers, led by the SAS, including men from 1 Bn the Parachute Regiment and the Royal Marines, as well as American and Canadian special forces, entered the kidnap building at dawn.

A deal had been struck with a man detained the previous night who was one of the leaders of the kidnappers. He was allowed a telephone call to warn his henchmen to leave the kidnap house. When the troops moved in and found the prisoners alive, they also let him go as promised.

anuva brilyant mynd rooind buy tha publick ejakayshun sistum
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Name
Flying Foxy
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another unusual angle on this - our 'Dr' Reid in the Govt, firstly said that our troops had been working for some weeks to secure this release yet the reports all seem to say (as Ned's last report shows)
Quote:
A deal had been struck with a man detained the previous night who was one of the leaders of the kidnappers.
and I wonder did THIS take 'some weeks' to set up or was it an opportune meeting with the man during routine search/patrol?
I wouldn't trust Reid as far as I could throw him - he has never sounded the least bit genuine in any of the many roles he's held in Govt. and this is his least convincing one.

If civilians walk into a hotbed like Iraq and start spouting peace chat, whilst it's a great thing to think you can do some good, it's a fool who goes there to try and talk it. Even Terry Waite knew what may happen to him and that was a miracle he got out alive. Unfortunately, some situations demand a force action, it's just such a pity that there are those who feel the need to use violence every day (insurgents) to make a point instead of seeing how good a democratic way could be, but then again, it's not up to the US (& GB, dragged in by our hypocrite leader) to try and enforce their idea on other countries.
Would this have happened if Iraq's main export was flour do you think? Now let me see... Confused

FF

Snakedriver
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they wouldnt help out the rescuers, they should have given them back.......let them live with their new found brethern.
Those morons cause more trouble than they are worth.
Some of them have some serious Cojones though, Like the Jewish guy over there who lost his head....Not a place one would want to ask where is the nearest Kosher Deli....
Chi-town
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject: Seen it Reply with quote

Ned,

It's good to see I wasn't the only one who thought that the hostages were ungrateful babies. I spent 15 months over there and I worked with the Iraqis on a daily basis (the whole sectrum from interpreters, Iraqi Army, to normal civilians). The big thing that these peace activists fail to understand is that the culture over there has a COMPLETELY different set of values than westerners. That doesn't make them worse or lesser people, but our democratic method of debate, consensus, and compromise is very foreign to them. Sadly, Arab culture respects strength and power and sees the "soft" methods many of the peaceniks are proposing are seen as a weakness.

I wouldn't return the hostages back to the bad guys. The military has a job to do, and that just happened to be one of them-regardless of whether they get the thanks for it or not. I would say that it is bad form NOT to thank a group of people who were instrumental in returning you to your family-whether you agree with their commander's policies or not.

Where were these human rights activists when Saddam was killing and torturing his people?

Roger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » The Bar All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: