Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Student Pilots & Hour Builders

Almost time...Practical Exam Looming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dolmangar
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Almost time...Practical Exam Looming Reply with quote

My PPL(Helicopter) checkride is scheduled for March 27th! (next Monday) and I'm starting to get a little antsy for it to be over!

I'm confident in my practical handling of the helicopter (Bell 47G2). Obviously I have a lot to learn (I see this everytime my instructor takes the controls) but within the relm of what I'm supposed to know as a PPL I don't think that I'll have any problems, my instructor has been treating my last 3 or 4 flights as a checkride to practice.

I'm starting to sweat the oral exam tho. I passed my written last summer, without much problem. Although I did study using a computer based exam prep course. I've got a handle on the aerodynamics parts, and equipment based questions, I do however tend to muck up the weather questions (I use web based weather reporting most of the time), and some of the airspace questions. The area where I'm flying, doesn't deal with anything but G and E. Most of it is wide open space, and you have to go quite a way to get to a control tower.

I'm currently working thru the questions (I found a computer based question bank), and I'm sure I'll get it sorted out, just wanted to see how others felt about the oral sections of the FAA PPL.
weekend warrior
H Addict
H Addict

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by weekend warrior on Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dolmangar
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that wasn't totally true, we are just outside the ADIS for Wash. DC. The occasional news report of some student pilot getting intercepted by F-16s are taken to heart.

However, we do get to fly over the Skyline Drive, and Shenandoah Valley. Most of the area is pretty clear, so on a nice clear day it's easy flying.

I ended up finding a computer based, oral exam study guide. I figure I'll be ready by the time I take the test. Being a little nervous keeps you sharp!
biggruntbravo
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: good luck Reply with quote

i am starting to learn through military flight school and i dont know how different it is, but so far from what i can see is that if it is just a smidge like the military check rides have fun with that. my Instructor pilots (civilian contractors) for primary phase emphasize the oral part is very important without the use of key words. for example:

Simulated Engine Faliure
reduce collective, aft cyclic, and right pedal are the reactions
then you say, rpm 100%, N1 within limits, aircraft in trim, then if time permits its "mayday, mayday, mayday" then transponder to 7700 then transponder to elt, and lock inertia wheels. before you get power recovery if possible then make your clearing turns while you maintain last hover power, 60kias and climb to 100ft agl then go to 90 kias altitude, then lower power at about 850 ft agl?

dont know if that confused you but that is just one thing i have to go through.

but by the way, again good luck
Dolmangar
Starting to 'Torque
Starting to 'Torque

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Update - I'm official Reply with quote

Passed my oral and practical exams yesterday. I have my temporary certificate in hand and I'm legal Smile

The experience wasn't as bad as I feared it might be, the examiner was calm, fun, and fair. He had a few comments, but overall was pleased with how I performed.

Thanks for all the good advice on this forum!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Student Pilots & Hour Builders All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: