Contact Manager
HeliTorque Forum Index » Student Pilots & Hour Builders

A bit of advice on PPL
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jp
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: A bit of advice on PPL Reply with quote

Iíve only just started out on the road to flying; Iíve been reading up for 6 months but only had my 1st lesson yesterday. (Still smiling)

Iíll spare you the details, but my funds are tied up and I canít get them until October.
So what I would like to do in the mean time is my exams and maybe a few lessons, (1 a month) until October.

I was hoping some of you who have been down this route thinks this is a good idea, or not?

Is having 1 lesson a month going to be any good as there is such a large gap in between lessons?

What do I do about exams, what to read, what to study, what order should I do my exams in and where do I take them?

Thanks guys
Peter
AS355, AW139<br><br> *in a muffed voice*
PPL A
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Skype Name
heliaviator
H Addict
H Addict

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off where are you training?

I'm just down the road near Harlow; my son has been having lessons once a fortnight/once a month more often than not with school, and he's already gone solo. Even if you can only fly once a month I would do it; the practical flying helps with some of the exams as well.

Most schools require you to do Air Law and some Human Performance before you go solo, do these first.

They are taken at the school you are training at. Or you can go off to someone like Derek Davidson and do the whole lot in 4-5 days.
WhirlyGirl
Administrator
Administrator

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Doing Exams Early On Reply with quote

Hi jp,

First of all congratulations on having your first lesson. I know how it feels to wear that smile. Smile

About flying once a month - at the time I started this is what I had to do for the same reason; lack of funds. WhirlyGuy was near to finishing his PPL and it was more important that he got his QXC and final handling test done whilst he was very current.

So instead I decided to crack on with the studying. This was a good move as I spent the first six months or so going a bit of flying and a lot of book work. Once I passed the last exam the whole lot were valid for a period of time (a year if I recall ?) so that I could then go ahead and do the fun part - the flying. At that point I had been working a lot and saving a lot and manged to get all the flying done within a shorter space of time.

A similar thing happened with my CPL(H) exams. I spent a year studying and flying when I could, and since I passed the last one I've been flying up to 8 hours a week with the goal of reaching the 155 hours by May / June.

So I personally think it doesn't do you any harm to get the exams out of the way early. It just means you'll have more time to get the flying done later without being held back by the theory.

WhirlyGirl Cool
Jp
High Flying 'Torquer
High Flying 'Torquer

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys
Ian I'm up in near Colchester Essex, so there in nothing that close to me.

My closest place is southend which is an hour drive.
I was also thinking about aeromega in Ongar, not any closer but I have a few friends in the area.
AS355, AW139<br><br> *in a muffed voice*
PPL A
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Skype Name
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Student Pilots & Hour Builders All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: