HeliTorque Forum Index » Wannabes

Newbie.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ernest1020
Shy 'Torquer
Shy 'Torquer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Newbie. Reply with quote

Whats up guys my name is Ernest i live in Pensacola FL im 21 and really interested in going to flight school. I need some advice schools and jobs. Ive read plenty online but would like some advise from someone who's been there. It really doesn't matter if the school is in FL or not. I really just want the best training other than military.

I really appreciate all the advice you guys can give me! Thanks.
afterburner
H Addict
H Addict

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Flight Schools Reply with quote

Ernest,
I can at least get you started on some things to think about.
First lets talk about goals. Exactly what are your aspirations? Do you want to teach? or fly corporate? or maybe rigs/long line? It is important to have some 'job" in mind. This will set your pace and offer some direction as to where you wish to train.

Second...the school. I would recommend that you select a school that offers the most comprehensive curriculum so that you can accomplish ANY goal you set for yourself. The school should be in a location with generally good flying weather ( I did most of mine in Florida). The school should have more than one aircraft of the type in which you will train, and have sufficient aircraft available so that scheduling is not a problem, and you can switch off to another aircraft if the one you had develops trouble.

If the school has financing available, that's a plus. If any school asks you to pay up front for training......go elsewhere!

Third....Talk to other Pilots in your area. Recommendations are the best way to select a good school. The size of the school does not matter as much as the quality of training.

Fourth....Once you have a school in mind, the best thing to do is actually visit the school if practical to talk to them face to face, examine the equipment, and "interview a potential instructor".

As for jobs, it is a hard road, but their are jobs out there worldwide.
The more diverse your training, and the more you can do for an employer, the better are your chances in landing the job.
Most employers that I have had contact with want a minimum of 1000hrs flight time in helos. Some may drop it down to 600-700 if you impress them with turbine transition; long line or bucket training; ratings etc.

Helicopter training is expensive, so be prepared to lay out a bunch of cash.
The cheapest training is not always the best. You get what you pay for.

Going the fixed wing route first, then the helo add-ons will save you money, but it also results in less experience and flight time.

Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HeliTorque Forum Index » Wannabes All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: